Author Topic: Another big thanks to Bman  (Read 10943 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Another big thanks to Bman
« on: October 23, 2018, 03:27:50 PM »
He sent me this nice Blackhawk round head 1/4" ratchet for the cost or shipping, and it was well worth it for sure.

I really like it so far, but it is confirming that I do definitely prefer a pearhead or teardrop in 1/4"dr.
That's not going to stop me from using it for sure because I do like it on first impressions, I think I'm going to put it in my main set where it'll best fit and the indestro will replace the craftsman in my garage set.

It was really stiff and just needed some lube so we thought, but it was actually whistle clean inside and it turns out the retention ring ( sir clip ? ) was putting two much tension on the mechanism and needed to be flattened a bit.
With that and the lube it's running pretty darn smoothly , the thumb wheel is easy to turn and it's not difficult to reverse one handed.

Btw Bman always packs things extremely well, that's something you don't always see especially with something that's just steel and probably couldn't get damaged in shipping.
Way to go on the excellent packing.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 03:38:26 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Another big thanks to Bman
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 03:43:17 PM »
Wonderful surprise -- congrats!!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 04:25:06 PM »
Wonderful surprise -- congrats!!
Thanks.
I actually just finished a bit of maintenance on my bike and this ratchet performed favorably, the thumb wheel was a real nice for turning loose fasteners.
It's not hard to just turn the socket, but hen they're slick and you've got grease or oil on your hands it's not as easy as a wheel with jimping on it.
I also really like how the neck isn't perfectly round and provides a good place for my thumb, the round neck is one of the things I don't like about the common S-K style round head.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 04:48:36 PM »
I figured this ratchet was fairly recent, and it turns out PROTO still produces these.
Always lookin' to learn

Online J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 05:11:49 PM »
That looks like a really nice ratchet.

Bonneyman is definitely good people - tin foil hats off to George/Bonneyman!
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 05:16:42 PM »
That looks like a really nice ratchet.

Bonneyman is definitely good people - tin foil hats off to George/Bonneyman!
On all impressions so far it seems pretty nice, I'm not sure how most places can sell them for around $24 +/- with how well made is seems.
There's minimal slop in the mechanism and the anvil fits my sockets pretty well too.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 05:18:20 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline muddy

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 05:44:50 PM »
Very nice ratchet!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2018, 06:20:25 PM »
Glad you like it. I figured it needed lube but had not disassembled it to confirm.

I didn't know those were made by Proto. I'll have to keep an eye out for another to keep.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 06:23:58 PM by bonneyman »

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2018, 06:49:02 PM »
Glad you like it. I figured it needed lube but had not disassembled it to confirm.

I didn't know those were made by Proto. I'll have to keep an eye out for another to keep.
It was bone dry inside, but the real cause was the retaining ring making everything too tight.
These are listed on the Proto website and Blacohawk is currently " Blackhawk by PROTO ", so I don't see why they'd be produced by anyone other than Proto.

None of the things I most disliked about round heads are present in this ratchet, round heads used to always bring to mind all of the bottom of the barrel ratchet sets I've had or used but I really just needed to experience a good one I guess.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2018, 08:10:54 PM »
No doubt that Bman is good people. Never seen him hesitate to help someone.
If I were to buy any new Blackhawk I would check COO as they are having tools made offshore. Not all of them as they have to maintain the % of USA to sell to the government.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2018, 08:18:10 PM »
No doubt that Bman is good people. Never seen him hesitate to help someone.
If I were to buy any new Blackhawk I would check COO as they are having tools made offshore. Not all of them as they have to maintain the % of USA to sell to the government.
They do have a number of ratchets made in Taiwan, seeing them gave me the idea that everything was imported now but I should've thought to look into it.
Always lookin' to learn