Author Topic: Large Vintage Athol Vise  (Read 3802 times)

Offline Elroy

Large Vintage Athol Vise
« on: February 13, 2020, 08:39:35 PM »
Seeking recommendations on best avenue to sell a "large" Athol vise . Old friend is looking to dispose of his Grandfathers vise so he approached Elroy. The initial suggestion Elroy made was to list it locally on Craigslist. Well that suggestion didn't go over well. Elroy said he would ask around.

Do you guys know of any Boards whose member would hold such interest ?? Please advise accordingly. Thanks

Offline ken w.

Re: Large Vintage Athol Vise
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 08:55:59 PM »
I've had better luck selling on Facebook. I sold a Starrett Athol swivel base vise last year for $ 250.00

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 08:56:47 PM »
There's a board called the Garage Gazette whose members could have some interest.   :dance: :character0029:
boop/bop/beep

Offline pkerot

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 12:33:04 AM »
how do  you ship a large heavy vise?

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2020, 07:07:23 PM »
I bought an older Craftsman vise from a retired mechanic some years ago for $60. In California. Shipping to me by freight added another $60. But it is a nice vise.

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 12:52:23 AM »
how do  you ship a large heavy vise?

My Wilton bullet was shipped to me in a large cardboard box with plenty of padding.
boop/bop/beep

Offline pkerot

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 01:34:54 PM »
Thank you for the response.   I feel sure this Rock Island fixed base is heavier than most Wiltons

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2020, 03:19:43 PM »
Fastenal offers a store to store truck freight service that's reasonably priced. Guys have had mixed reviews on the condition of their stuff when it arrived though. A non-intricate item like a large vise, strapped to a small pallet and wrapped like crazy in cling wrap and some padding should be pretty safe.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2020, 03:43:55 PM »
Depends on the size of your Wilton..... :)

Offline slip knot

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2020, 04:09:56 PM »
Fastenal offers a store to store truck freight service that's reasonably priced. Guys have had mixed reviews on the condition of their stuff when it arrived though. A non-intricate item like a large vise, strapped to a small pallet and wrapped like crazy in cling wrap and some padding should be pretty safe.

Not all Fastenalls offered that. I asked my local store and they thought I was crazy. I had a damn good deal on a lpg powered generator, just couldn't figure out shipping.

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2020, 04:18:24 PM »
https://www.fastenal.com/en/4590/blue-lane-freight

It looks like NO stores have it right now. IDK if it's kungflu related or not.

Offline pkerot

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2020, 08:50:16 AM »
I found out more about my Rock Island 142.  It  weighs 73 pounds and is listed in the 1931  catalog. It was called a pipe vise and had a swivel base, but not like we are used to. The big bolt thru the bottom had a large wingnut which could be loosened to allow the vice to swivel.
Now that I know how old it is, I will not need shipping info. I am going to keep it.  :)

later edit: Is there a separate thread for Vises? 
In the 1934 catalog, it says this vise will accept pipes up to four inches! and is guaranteed for a year but will probably last a lifetime.
Quite an understatement. It looks like this vise will last several lifetimes.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 09:20:48 AM by pkerot »