Author Topic: Wray Schelin home metal working project - English Wheel  (Read 4019 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Wray Schelin home metal working project - English Wheel
« on: April 23, 2020, 06:58:13 PM »
Wray is putting out some quality content. This English Wheel build will have the drawings and the step-by-step building instruction available on YouTube and on his website. This isn't an HF quality type wheel -- it's a true professional deep throat wheel.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
Re: Wray Schelin home metal working project - English Wheel
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 09:08:13 PM »
Hey great link, going to check out his site further.  Like his explanations of the process, straight on down and logical approach .

Thank you Ray  :great:
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 12:31:36 PM »
Enjoyable, thanks. I thought I was listening to Noaaaurm on This Old House.  :) when they spoke.

Question, why TIG first for the tack, then come back with MIG? I doubt any serious heat would occur with a MIG tack and cause a shift, but then again, what do I know.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2020, 01:05:34 PM »
Enjoyable, thanks. I thought I was listening to Noaaaurm on This Old House.  :) when they spoke.

Question, why TIG first for the tack, then come back with MIG? I doubt any serious heat would occur with a MIG tack and cause a shift, but then again, what do I know.

No idea why he does it that way. Maybe a throwback practice. Wray's father was in the business as well, and that may have influenced the practice to this day. In the old days TIG and Gas (O/A) was preferred to MIG because it was easier to planish the metal to get a seamless finish. MIG welds tended to be too hard and brittle for fine metalfinishing. However, the invention of "Easy Grind" MIG wire made that practice moot.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2020, 02:31:52 PM »
I was referring to the 1:15 on the build of the unit. I get the metal finishing part you mentioned.

Guess it's just a preference on the build.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2020, 03:14:31 PM »
I was referring to the 1:15 on the build of the unit. I get the metal finishing part you mentioned.

Guess it's just a preference on the build.

Oh -- sorry! That part makes sense to me. Even with the fixture you get less distortion from TIG vs MIG.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2020, 06:48:22 PM »

The TIG has better heat control, less distortion.   You get rolling with MIG the total heat builds pretty fast, sheet metal will distort. 

My experience tacking the bottom half of a door skin. Using a MIG machine, first tack in the middle, then one at each end. Then halfing distances on each side. Welding on both sides of the middle tack. Still had to stop let things cool, and did get distortion.
 He got that piece knocked out really quick with almost zero distortion. Dam good trick, just think how the finish looked. And what little time getting  there.

To me I could see @ most high build primer and a quick blocking ........... to perfection.

That boy has some talent, I'll say.

1776 ................... what happened!