Author Topic: Vintage corded tools  (Read 23821 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: Vintage corded tools
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2018, 11:28:19 PM »
My corded drill wouldn't really count as vintage because it's from the late 70's to early 80's, but when I picked it up from the flea market the guy had this awesome beast of a Thor that I really wish I would've picked up but it was more than I wanted to spend when the 3/8 Craftsman is just what I needed to replace my broken Skill but I'm sure it was well worth it.

That Thor really was a big ol beast of a drill and it was heavy too, I don't have the arms for such a drill anyways so I guess its best I didn't take it home.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2018, 11:41:57 AM »
I'll bet she wasn't keen on the idea.

For the record I've been on the receiving end of that look.

When did my wife give you that look?   :o

My wife shops at the same stink eye look store as yours. She can even give it to me over the phone.

Now that's funny!  :))

Shoot, that's nuthin fellers, my wife taught your wives that look! The women in the wife's family are known far and wide for their " Hairy Eyeball" Just look up "Hairy Eyeball in the dictionary and you will see a group shot of all the split tails in my wife's family looking back at you! Ya, seriously!  :))
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2018, 11:40:51 AM »
My two Craftsman 3/8" drills. The older one is probably 70's, the later one is probably 80's or later.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2018, 12:54:22 PM »
The early one is definitely 70's and/or early 80's. That drill was at one time Sears'  "Bread and Butter" drill. They sold millions of them, and they were excellent quality.

Back in the early 2000's they could be had for just a few bucks at garage and yard sales, but these days they seem to be a bit more rare, and they are starting to have some collector's value. Last one I saw in mint condition w/ original box at a Yard sale was almost $30. I should have snagged it, but am already swamped with more vintage corded drills than I know what to do with.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2018, 01:49:48 PM »

My wife shops at the same stink eye look store as yours. She can even give it to me over the phone.

Shoot, that's nuthin fellers, my wife taught your wives that look! The women in the wife's family are known far and wide for their " Hairy Eyeball" Just look up "Hairy Eyeball in the dictionary and you will see a group shot of all the split tails in my wife's family looking back at you! Ya, seriously!  :))

OK, UB, when I come to Kansas City to visit Epstein's I won't come by your house. We'll have to meet down the road at a pancake house or something. I don't think I could survive a Hairy Eyeball!   :-\

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2018, 02:02:56 PM »

OK, UB, when I come to Kansas City to visit Epstein's I won't come by your house. We'll have to meet down the road at a pancake house or something. I don't think I could survive a Hairy Eyeball!   :-\

You can park off of the alley and I will slip you into the shop when the coast is clear! LOL

Not just "The Hairy Eyeball", but "The German/Irish Hairy Eyeball" which is indescribably bad. The MIL holds classes for the young up and coming split tails in the family weekly so that they are nothing but teeth and hair by the time they come of age with the full ability to strike terror into the hearts of most men, especially the young and unprepared. Fortunately for me I was seasoned beyond the reach of mere mortal female efforts from a lifetime of case hardening by my old man, especially grumpy and cranky by the time he was thirty and as such unfazed by all Hairy Eyeball efforts, regardless the caliber! Anyway, in training from infancy each year of age seasoned me crankier and crankier as to be totally impenetrable to any and all Hairy Eyeball attacks, even from the old MIL, "The Grand High Priestess of the Hairy Eyeball'  which is what all of those younger refer to her as in hushed and reverent tones....... :))
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2018, 04:16:13 PM »
Youse guys have infected me with the vintage corded tool disease.  I picked these up in a $5.00 box lot over the weekend.  The one at the top is a Craftsman the lower one is a Fairchild.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2018, 04:19:34 PM »
Those are very Mr Mercury!
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2018, 08:20:28 PM »
Youse guys have infected me with the vintage corded tool disease.  I picked these up in a $5.00 box lot over the weekend.  The one at the top is a Craftsman the lower one is a Fairchild.

Damn -- you did great on that deal. They're both keepers. Fairchild brand is new to me -- can you please show a close-up on the ID Plate --

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2018, 04:04:07 PM »
Cannot show the ID plate as it wraps around the drill and pictures don't come out.  So, here it is: Fairchild Made in U.S.A., Model F149, Serial No. 123283,110-120V, AC-DC, For service return to Fairchild Industries, Burlington Vermont USA.   What is the deal on the ability to use AC or DC? ???

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2018, 05:26:39 PM »
Cannot show the ID plate as it wraps around the drill and pictures don't come out.  So, here it is: Fairchild Made in U.S.A., Model F149, Serial No. 123283,110-120V, AC-DC, For service return to Fairchild Industries, Burlington Vermont USA.   What is the deal on the ability to use AC or DC? ???

Thanks -- I had a hunch it was Fairchild Industries.

It's called and AC/DC universal motor -- uses special winding in the stator.

Offline kwoswalt99

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2018, 05:48:02 PM »

Thanks -- I had a hunch it was Fairchild Industries.

It's called and AC/DC universal motor -- uses special winding in the stator.

All corded power tools can run on dc as well as ac.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2018, 09:41:05 PM »

All corded power tools can run on dc as well as ac.

Really? I never knew that. Can you explain that, or provide a link that does?

Offline kwoswalt99

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2018, 11:23:22 PM »

Offline Rural53

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2018, 04:37:44 AM »
My father's Wolf 1/2" General Duty Drill, made by Wolf Electric Tools Ltd, London England. I still use it when I absolutely, positively have to make a hole in something. I can't find much about this drill, or the Wolf company in general, I suspect it is early 60's.  It has incredible torque. It has twisted itself out of my hands a couple of times and bitten me once. I had a 2.5" hole saw in it drilling a hole in a bull bar. It caught and smashed my hand against the bull bar mount. I thought I had broken bones in my hand but luckily only bruised it badly!