Author Topic: Dwell Tach and timing light  (Read 20488 times)

Offline bmwrd0

Re: Dwell Tach and timing light
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2019, 08:12:47 PM »
I recall pop had a golf T he used to plug to vacuum advance hose when timing and setting dwell back in the day.
They taught us that in high school.

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2019, 11:43:24 PM »
Gang,

I still have 3 golf T's in my machinist chest (i.e. my first tool box ever, back in the 1960's) that I used to plug rubber vacuum & rubber gas tubing.

This thread has brought back all kinds of memories of the good old days when life was simpler.

Thanks guys.
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2019, 01:37:47 PM »
Like many here I started with the very basic moved to the better stuff when I could afford it.

I static timed my '66 VW Bus using a test lamp with the original "Idiot Book" nearby.  A bit later I bought the cheapest Sun timing light without an inductive pickup where a spring device was inserted between the plug and wire - what a PITA.  On a trip to visit one of my VW mentors he showed me how to use the dial-in advance light and I saved up and bought the Sears one so I could do maximum advance without a degree wheel.  Its only use these days is on the '70 and '74 Bugs and my BMW Airheads.

The Mac meter was a later purchase at a sale and the Allstate vacuum and compression gauges were from a friend cleaning out her garage.  You'll also see one of those unpowered timing lights which I've never tried to use.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2019, 01:43:10 PM »
Nice Nick! That MAC analyzer was quite "the bomb" back in the day. I don't recall who make it (although I think it may have been Fox Valley) -- but it was a fixture in many pro tool boxes.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2019, 05:54:03 PM »
the unpowered timing lights were great for working on small engines and equipment. I had several but they were lost when the toolbox got stolen. still very handy to have.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2019, 10:25:26 AM »
I use the dwell/tach more than the timing light on these old tractors. get the points right and set the timing by ear. if it rattles under load back it off just a tad. ;D

At least the early air cooled VW's were timed that way although there was a timing mark on the pulley that used the case split as a pointer. I still time the Spitfire that way as well even though I have at least three timing lights.

It was easy to adjust the timing on my VW powered sandrail. The straight exhaust was plenty loud to let you know when it was just right. The crank pulley with the degrees marked all around it was just for decoration.

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2019, 02:50:10 PM »

It was easy to adjust the timing on my VW powered sandrail. The straight exhaust was plenty loud to let you know when it was just right. The crank pulley with the degrees marked all around it was just for decoration.
[/quote]

It is also an asset to have the calibrated nose to know if the air-cooled VW was running hot.  I trained my daughters to recognize the normal engine smell and recognize if it smelled hot, then to slow down and of course, tell Dad.  Another good indication was if the dipstick was too hot to check the oil after a run then it was either being run too fast or there was too much advance.
Nick
Yorktown, VA