Author Topic: Shop Crafts drills  (Read 8697 times)

Offline bonneyman

Shop Crafts drills
« on: November 13, 2018, 05:23:22 PM »
Found a 1/4" chuck Shop Craft drill at an estate sales probably 2 years ago. Never heard of the brand, but it has proven to be a solid performer. Found out some about them, and decided I had to get a 3/8"er. The opportunity came last week off of ebay, and it arrived today. Has had some use, but came with the original box and operating instructions. And - if I'm reading the copyright correctly - the literature is Dec 1964. So this thing could be almost 55 years old, and still runs great!

It is surprisingly compact - it's barely any larger than the 1/4" version. No bells and whistles - they're not variable speed, they're not reversible, and I doubt that they're "double insulated" (You takes your chances with them, boys). But from what I've read on-line (which ain't much), they were tough as nails. For driving screws or drilling holes they're probably untouchable. I'm stoked!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 03:14:03 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

Re: Shop Crafts drills
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 05:25:20 PM »
Here's the two side-by-side. The 3/8" might be 1/4" longer than its smaller sibling.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 08:29:23 AM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 02:35:39 PM »
Took apart the 3/8"er. Grease was old and dirty, brushes were dirty, and a bit of stuff had infiltrated the mechanism. One set of windings around the motor looked a much darker red than the other - could have been overheating, but there's nothing I can do about it now.

Soaked and scrubbed both body shells, soaked the bushings in Supco, and carefully cleaned the brushes. Put a nice glob of Superlube grease in the gear section, and put it back together. had a spare rubber chuck key holder and side handle, so hid them in the box. Sounds great, runs smooth, and no burned smell.

Though, I was not happy to see this inside the case shells.

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 03:57:31 PM »
Two and 2.4 amps is not much compared to modern tools, but back in the day these were considered first class.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 04:58:32 PM »
Two and 2.4 amps is not much compared to modern tools, but back in the day these were considered first class.

Oh yeah, these are "bare bones" tools, but I like the simplicity. I used to think more modern drills were better, because of the availability of parts compared to these vintage units. But hell, I can't get brushes and trigger switches, and the one shop I had service my Skil drill closed up shop.  It's become "just buy another drill - it's not worth fixing your used one!". And if that's the case, I'd rather have an old fashioned simpleton drill.

Plus, I think I paid $5 for the 1/4" at an estate sale, and the 3/8" cost me $10 plus $12.85 shipping. I think Ace sells their bottom of the line Chinese drill for about $23.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 05:01:51 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2018, 09:09:29 AM »
Tried to remove the drill chuck off of the larger drill to try working with it to loosen it up. There's no attachment screw down in the throat like most drills. It's permanently attached! So I'll have to dribble some more Supco 88 into it and just work it back and forth on the drill to try and loosen it up some more.

Was that the normal way to do it back in the 60's with drill chucks?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 09:19:08 AM by bonneyman »

Offline kwoswalt99

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2018, 09:49:19 AM »
I just put a big allen wrench in the chuck and hit it with a hammer.

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2018, 10:26:12 AM »
Tried to remove the drill chuck off of the larger drill to try working with it to loosen it up. There's no attachment screw down in the throat like most drills. It's permanently attached! So I'll have to dribble some more Supco 88 into it and just work it back and forth on the drill to try and loosen it up some more.

Was that the normal way to do it back in the 60's with drill chucks?

It's still normal for drills that don't reverse. The locking screw is to stop the chuck from unscrewing when you run it backwards.

That chuck is probably screw on. Take a look on the sleeve to see if it has 3/8"-24, or less likely 1/2"-20, on it.

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 09:18:01 PM »
bman,

What is the Supco 88 you speak of?

This be new to me...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 09:20:56 PM by lauver »
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 10:21:50 PM »
bman,

What is the Supco 88 you speak of?

This be new to me...

A refrigerant-quality additive that increases lubricity, dissolves sludge, and penetrates the microscopic pores of metal surfaces to add a layer of lubrication. Also contains a extreme pressure additive. I use it in anything that uses mineral oil.

https://www.supco.com/web/supco_live/products/S8.html

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2019, 12:16:38 AM »
Thank you bman.  Good to know. 

Will this put Jafe Juice out of business  :-\
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Offline Lance

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2019, 07:14:37 PM »
Make up a Bestus chuck wrench if you want to remove chucks that have been sitting for 50 years.

Allen wrench with a cup brazes, NOT welded, to the long end so you can stick a .401 air hammer punch in the cup and break the chuck loose.