Author Topic: Craftsman Band Saw.  (Read 1542 times)

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
Re: Craftsman Band Saw.
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2024, 12:08:50 AM »
Nice find. Sixty years ago many home hobbyists owned a band saw. Table saws were very popular too. Radial arm saws began replacing the table saw. Today not so.

Today, most used table saws are cheap, but arm saws you can't give away.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2024, 12:21:25 AM »
At some point I will face the same thing muddy is. I have an old 1957 Cman vertical bandsaw I bought used of course. I have done nothing to it but intend to replace both tires and the blade, then go through the lube and adjustment drill with the guides and rollers. You will get it, though making the trip there might prove frustrating!

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2024, 06:55:37 PM »
Nice find. Sixty years ago many home hobbyists owned a band saw. Table saws were very popular too. Radial arm saws began replacing the table saw. Today not so.

You’re right on the worth of table and radial arm saws. I own a Craftsman 10”  radial arm saw that I purchased new 55 years ago. I have the 4” & 7” molding blades, miter fixtures, dozens of blades, sanding disc, most all attachments. And use it all the time. I have it set up with a 36” by 72” maple tops on each side. It’s my go to for cutting wood. Aluminum and light steel too. Far better choice than a table saw. Yet I still have a 12” Craftsman tilt arbor saw.

My 4” Delta jointer is seldom used. Same for my 10” Craftsman miter saw. I sold off my nearly new 12” DeWalt mitersaw. It was brand new when I picked it up.  Just didn’t like it. I also sold off my 14” metal cutting Powermatic band saw. My new Roll-in-Saw replaced it.

I never give up this saw.

Offline muddy

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2024, 09:20:44 PM »
My father has an arm saw the same vintage of my band saw. He keeps thinking about getting rid of it. Im going to take it off his hand as it so much easier to rop boards then setting up a sled for a table saw.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2024, 10:22:39 PM »
I love the heavy vintage equipment both wood and metalworking machines. Sadly, I don't have the room for all of them so most of the WW machines have gone, or will go. I hate selling tools, any of them. I am good at buying tools, just not so good at selling them. I seem to do better giving tools to BIL, nephew,  son.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2024, 07:02:49 AM »

You’re right on the worth of table and radial arm saws. I own a Craftsman 10”  radial arm saw that I purchased new 55 years ago. I have the 4” & 7” molding blades, miter fixtures, dozens of blades, sanding disc, most all attachments. And use it all the time. I have it set up with a 36” by 72” maple tops on each side. It’s my go to for cutting wood. Aluminum and light steel too. Far better choice than a table saw. Yet I still have a 12” Craftsman tilt arbor saw.

My 4” Delta jointer is seldom used. Same for my 10” Craftsman miter saw. I sold off my nearly new 12” DeWalt mitersaw. It was brand new when I picked it up.  Just didn’t like it. I also sold off my 14” metal cutting Powermatic band saw. My new Roll-in-Saw replaced it.

I never give up this saw.

That is a nice looking set up for your saw.  Plus your shop is clean and uncluttered.  You make me look bad :))

As to the value of your saw, to me, the value is in the way you have it set up to be useful in many ways and readily accessible. Well done!!

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2024, 05:19:31 AM »
With that generous room left and right of the saw it make a very sweet setup.

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2024, 04:39:47 PM »
Over the years I have developed efficient ways to use my Radial Arm Saw. And the butcher block tables on either side of the saw really assist in work placement. Working without a helper. Making easy to clamp fixtures and stops to mass producing multiples of the same. Along with the proper work-height. 

As for cleanliness. I have a lot of tools and machinery. And a limited amount of space for them. Hence every piece must have its' place to make it work.. In my mind there is a direct correlation between orderly and clean workplace to working faster and more efficient. Making the job task easier, quicker, and fun...  No doubt the physical environment of any workspace has a significant impact on the way one works and the quality of work that's produced. Simply put when our workplace is a mess, so are we. I always look forward to taking on and completing a project in one of my home workshops. Some my call me obsessive; but I often find myself strolling through my shops feeling the pride of what I created...