Author Topic: Two Time Tested Vintage Electric Drills  (Read 139 times)

Offline oldcarguy

Two Time Tested Vintage Electric Drills
« on: April 05, 2024, 07:41:27 PM »
Single speed (275 RPM) Black & Decker Professional model # 1556 reversible 3/4 inch magnetic drill press. I purchased this toy used 30 years ago. I'd guess it's over 50 years old. Weighting a ton, it is strong as an Ox! Over the years I have drilled many 1” diameter holes in steel. The magnet is powerful enough to drill upside-down from a beam. And never break loose. Mind you to use the provided safety chain.

This is a 5/8” Sioux model # 120 electric drill. Single speed 400 ROM and only right hand direction. Though the company was founded in the early 1900, It was the early 1920's they expanded into making electric drills. In 1958 they introduced air powered hand tool and gradually discontinued their electric models.. Then in 1994 they merged into Snap-On.. Where they rest today... It was given to me 40 years ago by the son of a trucking repair shop. It's well used and can imagine how many trucks it was used on..

This baby is definitely not for the faint at heart. I cannot imaging using this monster an hour let alone all day. They must have been muscular men that operated this one. It's very difficult for me to just pick up let alone drill a hole.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Two Time Tested Vintage Electric Drills
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2024, 09:05:43 PM »
Love old B&D electric tools. I have a few in my own collection. That company was a marvel back in the day. Great looking drill OCG.

I'm sure that old Sioux spade handle drill would twist your wrist off if you gave it half a chance.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2024, 10:28:19 PM »
When tools were made to last, & there they are......... O0  slick
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2024, 08:51:05 AM »
What beasts! I'm sure the regular users looked like Popeye the Sailor! Sheesh!

I came across a 1/4" drill around 10 years ago made by Shop Craft. Nice aluminum body, no frills, non-reversing, but light in the hands and seems real sturdy. Never had any issues with it. Started researching the brand and couldn't find much. Then read an article where the guy said he bought one in the 1960's to use for work. He did draperies I believe. He still owns it and it still works - as of 2012.  And no - it was not for sale.
I decided right there I wanted a 3/8" version to go with my little boy. Found one in box eventually. Did the customary disassembly and clean/lube. Very nicely made. It's hardly any bigger than the 1/4"er. Either the 1/4" is overbuilt, or the 3/8" was just made to hold the larger chuck - they trusted the mechanism that much. From what I recall they stopped making them in the early 1970's. I'll see if I can find the articles I researched.
Here they are.
https://www.bob-easton.com/blog/category/power-tools/
http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=647

I now keep the two of them separate and ready to move. If I gotta move fast and relocate, I have certain tools I won't leave behind. These two drills are in that pile!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 09:09:42 AM by bonneyman »