VEHICLES > Bikes/Trikes/Choppers/Scooters & etc.

Harley Fork Upgrade.

<< < (2/2)

goodfellow:
Excellent Tim! Thank you for the great pics and the write-up. This is a great DIY post.

stokester:
I did something similar to my '78 Beemer this last year using HyperPro springs.  In that style of fork there is a damper on the bottom that deteriorates over time and I found PVC spacers that were added by a previous owner to stiffen them.

Changing fork oil is one of those necessary maintenance items that is frequently neglected.  I usually change mine once a year depending on how much I rode that bike.  One of the things necessary with my new springs is that the quantity and weight of oil required changed.  Rather than use an amount of oil to be added the oil level distance to the top of the fork or "head space" is given.  This can be accomplished by a MotionPro tool which has a syringe and a graduated rod to get the proper level after adding and pumping the fork. 

The weight of fork oil is also be a big factor in handling and I learned that although they all have numbers like 10w, 20w there is no standard from brand to brand so you need to stick with one manufacturer to maintain or improve the ride. 

The addition of these springs and an improved top brace made a significant difference in my ride. 

Ride Safe

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version