Author Topic: E = MC squared  (Read 4773 times)

Offline Lance

E = MC squared
« on: January 12, 2019, 07:00:20 PM »
This tool in the configuration shown is the solution to stuck receiver type trailer hitches.
It has multiple names including Jazuz that hurt, and is part of a 50 year evolution of dead blow tools.
It is also an educational device used to teach young bucks who know everything how little they know.

Total weight of the tool is 46 pounds as shown.  The slider is 21.7 pounds with 11 of them being steel shot contained in the coaxial housing.  Shaft is 1 3/8" with 4" of thread on one end.  The shaft was a spare from a machine that went to China to become a paperclip.  The hilt is a former steel gear that was in a pile looking for a new job. 
The hilt/anvil is welded to the shaft with Eutectic ToolWeld rod, similar to 309 stainless with superior ductility.  It is also pinned for additional strength.

Ends used with the hammer either thread on or are isolated with a plastic sleeve to prevent thread damage.
The striking end of the hammer is replaceable when needed.

After the hilt/anvil was welded and run on a vibratory stress reliever for 24 hours the shaft was chucked up in a lathe and the striking face trued up. 
Prior to painting the tool was tested by 2 available young bucks weighing around 275# each who played football in school.  They were sure they knew how to use it.  They went forth into the sun to extract a Reese plugin from a receiver.  Using the well understood team approach 1 works as 1 watches, we determined a former football player to be good for a maximum of 20 strokes.  We also determined they needed a long rest period after 226 strokes.

2 old farts took the job over and after all parties agreed the plugin hadn't moved based on inspection of reference marks in the die applied to the hitch prior to hitting, removed the plugin in 11 hits by employing a pair of wood wedges and a milk crate in the operation.  Once again age & skill whupped the snot out of youth and strength.

Offline slip knot

Re: E = MC squared
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 07:37:17 PM »
That's a serious looking device of destruction there. I like it. ( thumbs up emoji here)

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 11:16:39 AM »
 good solution. i have seen them split open and welded shut again because of being stuck. i can only hope that you retired to a spot in the shade with a notebook and an adult beverage to keep track of how many strokes were applied. :))
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 11:43:01 AM »
I'll add that to problems I had no idea existed. Us West Coasters take no salt for granted. One snow flake shuts everything down and we wait until it melts.

Good looking solution to the problem.

Greyson

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 11:58:41 AM »
Yup -- that design makes perfect sense (once you see it -- LOL). Coming up with the design and actually fabricating it, is another issue. Very well done!

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 01:00:45 PM »
That is one heck of a slide hammer. I can see where it would be a pain to remove a rusted receiver from a hitch especially if it has a good drop to it. I don't leave my hitch in when I'm not pulling a trailer so I will not have that problem plus I think we salt our roads a little different around here. They try to spray a brine solution on the roads before we get snow here and don't use massive amounts of salt.

They figured out too much salt on the roads was killing the pine trees in the mountains and the folks at Lake Tahoe don't like brown trees around the lake.

Offline Lance

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 03:09:56 PM »
The one pictured is officially named AttiTude.  It is hopefully the last slidehammer I'll build and probably #20 in a line of sliders built since 1967, beginning with one politely known as Oh F*** it's gonna move that employed a 43 pound deadblow and an axle from a Mack twinscrew.  Deadblow definitely provides advantage in slidehammers eliminating the bounce inherent in solid hammers and translating that energy to work rather than recoil.  Recoil delivers zero benefit.

OhF*** had the added ability to securely attach to the back end of a 20 ton hydraulic puller for those moments in time when a bit of shock impact got the job over the top and moving the way it should have gone.  It also rode around on it's dedicated 2 wheel handtruck with ropes to tie it off to overhead structure when in use and a couple short ropes similar to lawnmower starting cords.  Nobody wanted to slide the hammer more than 2 times, even with padded handles.  Back in those ancient days of sliderules and Friden calculators a couple engineer types did some calculation and said OF*** delivered impact force similar to a 20mm cannon.  I took their word for that. 

A milwright company asked one day what I'd sell OhF*** for and I flippantly said 500 bucks.  They were back an hour later with a check, and I didn't have to load it.   As OSHA came on line the tool was declared unusable under all the new regulations, so the cart got enclosed with sheet metal so the tool couldn't be seen.  To my knowledge the tool continued being used into 1985 when stress fractures in the flange retired it.

Been a good number of slidehammer based tools I've built since including self propelled prick punches using Ramset pins for replaceable tips and SlideSledge.  I've come to love the deadblow system in many as Art Ritus sets into my hands and wrists.  I've also put together a few deadblow knocking bars over the years for various jobs, and they too offer better results.

As to the question of shade spots and adult beverages, ya caught me.  I was sitting comfortably on Absolutely Perfect Stool, under my beach umbrella (thanks to cardiac meds which are photoreactive) with a cold lemonaid watching the football players play.  Counting part was easy, when I got to finger number 10, I employed my abacus system of moving welding rods in the can.  It works well for an old guy.