Author Topic: Harbor freight ceo slams snap on  (Read 12204 times)

Offline Jamesyarbrough

Harbor freight ceo slams snap on
« on: September 02, 2019, 10:55:07 PM »
Not my video, but pretty funny stuff. Ceo slams snap on and says they are selling tools made in same factory for a third of the price

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Harbor freight ceo slams snap on
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 07:08:28 AM »
Not a surprise to many of us on the GG. We've seen many traditional US tool companies move production to Taiwan, Japan, and China while maintaining their high profit margins.

I recall some years ago that HF sold an outstanding comprehensive Pittsburgh Pro socket set that was made in Taiwan. A Garage Journal member noticed a similarity with a Truck brand. He had the connections and business travel opportunities to actually visit the plant in Taiwan and confirmed that the sets in question were identical coming off the assembly line. He speculated that the only difference between the two were superficial with regard to logo and letter stamping, finish grinding, and packaging.

Offline Jamesyarbrough

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 12:00:34 PM »
Tool trucks are crooks. Except sk. They dont have the broad selection but they do supply quality us made stuff at a decent price (compared to others). Maybe thats why you dont see many sk trucks?

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 12:59:45 PM »
Tool trucks are crooks. Except sk. They dont have the broad selection but they do supply quality us made stuff at a decent price (compared to others). Maybe thats why you dont see many sk trucks?
I saw one earlier this year in my dinky little rural town, that was very surprising.
In the city I might expect it, but out here no way.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 05:56:29 PM »
Not my video, but pretty funny stuff. Ceo slams snap on and says they are selling tools made in same factory for a third of the price.

Well, branding means alot to a fair number of individuals. It's their money - if they want to spend it on a name, then that's their choice.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2019, 06:06:39 PM »
But the Snappy guy will float me some credit.  :)

Offline muddy

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2019, 07:31:52 PM »
But the Snappy guy will float me some credit.  :)
That's a big selling point for me actually. As a full time mechanic it is a big plus to have a tool to make money while being able to pay it off.

As for Snap-On and harbor freight I find it hard to believe that they are made in the same factory. I would think Snap-On doesn't even sub out their blue point line and have their own factory over seas for it.

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2019, 08:48:12 PM »
Snap-on does have some factories they make some Blue Point in but much of it is 3rd party. Most things branded Snap-on are made in house but not all. Like creepers and vises and some specialty tools.

They don't make taps and dies and charge a lot more than the OEM brand but they also give a much better warranty and for a pro who uses them a lot it might be worth the extra money for the warranty. For me - no not worth the coin and I usually buy that stuff used.

Snap-on lists all their factories in their annual report - they are a significant asset for owned and a significant expense for leased and investors need to know that - and they do have factories they own and lease in China. Too lazy to look it up right now but it is available online in PDF format for free and they have at least the last three years available.

I seriously doubt they sell the same stuff as HF. Absolutely possible but I would need to see it not what someone else says on the internet. While they make stuff all over and buy stuff from hundreds maybe thousands of vendors they seem to be pretty picky about what they buy and generally they also give better warranties (at least historically - HF does give very good warranty and customer support).
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline Midnitemack

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2019, 03:09:04 AM »
We have a local guy that I have bought quite a bunch of stuff off of, and in doing so I have got to know him quite well, much of his stuff is branded Blue-Point, he is not a Snap-on Dealer but more an importer, I know for a fact that he sources his product direct out of China...... quality is first class, nice chrome & even has a warranty !

Check some of his stuff out.....

https://www.trademe.co.nz/building-renovation/tools/hand-tools/spanners-wrenches/listing-2296255100.htm?rsqid=d4a2d41263934599883038807de8cedc-

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/tools-repair-kits/sockets/listing-2298157351.htm?rsqid=896aff3132ef4c6e943514840edbb9dd-001

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/tools-repair-kits/sockets/listing-2301342453.htm?rsqid=42795a45b72945aaa7ad0866d2672324-001

https://www.trademe.co.nz/building-renovation/tools/hand-tools/screwdrivers/listing-2296674812.htm?rsqid=c5ff4221bec8477c9236786181238a4f-001

The screwdriver is an exact same as marketed here by Bahco..... no doubt coming out of the same factory in China.

Offline walrus

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2019, 04:52:27 AM »
Blue point is blue point. Its Snap ons lower price point tools in most cases.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline Jamesyarbrough

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2019, 06:37:04 AM »
Blupoint is not blupoint. Its whatever import rebranded.  Look at their disconnect set. Exact same thing as lisle. Even the packaging.

Offline Snaparxon!

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2019, 07:47:38 AM »
Blupoint is not blupoint. Its whatever import rebranded.  Look at their disconnect set. Exact same thing as lisle. Even the packaging.

Blue Point is the name that Snap on slaps on most re-brands, foreign or domestic. I have a lot of older Blue Point branded tools that are excellent US made tools. They are just not as polished or finished as a Snap on branded tool.
MAC puts their name on a huge amount of tools that they out source, have done so almost since day one.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2019, 01:04:40 PM »
 :)) found this on one of my sites

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2019, 03:12:24 PM »

LOL --- Was that was the special "Half Century" payment plan at 25% interest? -- what a deal!!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2019, 05:39:18 PM »

Oh shoot!  :D

You get it paid off and it's time to buy a new one!