Author Topic: Harbor freight ceo slams snap on  (Read 12396 times)

Offline Jamesyarbrough

Harbor freight ceo slams snap on
« on: September 02, 2019, 10:55:07 PM »
Not my video, but pretty funny stuff. Ceo slams snap on and says they are selling tools made in same factory for a third of the price

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Harbor freight ceo slams snap on
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 07:08:28 AM »
Not a surprise to many of us on the GG. We've seen many traditional US tool companies move production to Taiwan, Japan, and China while maintaining their high profit margins.

I recall some years ago that HF sold an outstanding comprehensive Pittsburgh Pro socket set that was made in Taiwan. A Garage Journal member noticed a similarity with a Truck brand. He had the connections and business travel opportunities to actually visit the plant in Taiwan and confirmed that the sets in question were identical coming off the assembly line. He speculated that the only difference between the two were superficial with regard to logo and letter stamping, finish grinding, and packaging.

Offline Jamesyarbrough

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 12:00:34 PM »
Tool trucks are crooks. Except sk. They dont have the broad selection but they do supply quality us made stuff at a decent price (compared to others). Maybe thats why you dont see many sk trucks?

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 12:59:45 PM »
Tool trucks are crooks. Except sk. They dont have the broad selection but they do supply quality us made stuff at a decent price (compared to others). Maybe thats why you dont see many sk trucks?
I saw one earlier this year in my dinky little rural town, that was very surprising.
In the city I might expect it, but out here no way.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 05:56:29 PM »
Not my video, but pretty funny stuff. Ceo slams snap on and says they are selling tools made in same factory for a third of the price.

Well, branding means alot to a fair number of individuals. It's their money - if they want to spend it on a name, then that's their choice.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2019, 06:06:39 PM »
But the Snappy guy will float me some credit.  :)

Offline muddy

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2019, 07:31:52 PM »
But the Snappy guy will float me some credit.  :)
That's a big selling point for me actually. As a full time mechanic it is a big plus to have a tool to make money while being able to pay it off.

As for Snap-On and harbor freight I find it hard to believe that they are made in the same factory. I would think Snap-On doesn't even sub out their blue point line and have their own factory over seas for it.

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2019, 08:48:12 PM »
Snap-on does have some factories they make some Blue Point in but much of it is 3rd party. Most things branded Snap-on are made in house but not all. Like creepers and vises and some specialty tools.

They don't make taps and dies and charge a lot more than the OEM brand but they also give a much better warranty and for a pro who uses them a lot it might be worth the extra money for the warranty. For me - no not worth the coin and I usually buy that stuff used.

Snap-on lists all their factories in their annual report - they are a significant asset for owned and a significant expense for leased and investors need to know that - and they do have factories they own and lease in China. Too lazy to look it up right now but it is available online in PDF format for free and they have at least the last three years available.

I seriously doubt they sell the same stuff as HF. Absolutely possible but I would need to see it not what someone else says on the internet. While they make stuff all over and buy stuff from hundreds maybe thousands of vendors they seem to be pretty picky about what they buy and generally they also give better warranties (at least historically - HF does give very good warranty and customer support).
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline Midnitemack

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2019, 03:09:04 AM »
We have a local guy that I have bought quite a bunch of stuff off of, and in doing so I have got to know him quite well, much of his stuff is branded Blue-Point, he is not a Snap-on Dealer but more an importer, I know for a fact that he sources his product direct out of China...... quality is first class, nice chrome & even has a warranty !

Check some of his stuff out.....

https://www.trademe.co.nz/building-renovation/tools/hand-tools/spanners-wrenches/listing-2296255100.htm?rsqid=d4a2d41263934599883038807de8cedc-

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/tools-repair-kits/sockets/listing-2298157351.htm?rsqid=896aff3132ef4c6e943514840edbb9dd-001

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/tools-repair-kits/sockets/listing-2301342453.htm?rsqid=42795a45b72945aaa7ad0866d2672324-001

https://www.trademe.co.nz/building-renovation/tools/hand-tools/screwdrivers/listing-2296674812.htm?rsqid=c5ff4221bec8477c9236786181238a4f-001

The screwdriver is an exact same as marketed here by Bahco..... no doubt coming out of the same factory in China.

Offline walrus

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2019, 04:52:27 AM »
Blue point is blue point. Its Snap ons lower price point tools in most cases.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline Jamesyarbrough

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2019, 06:37:04 AM »
Blupoint is not blupoint. Its whatever import rebranded.  Look at their disconnect set. Exact same thing as lisle. Even the packaging.

Offline Snaparxon!

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2019, 07:47:38 AM »
Blupoint is not blupoint. Its whatever import rebranded.  Look at their disconnect set. Exact same thing as lisle. Even the packaging.

Blue Point is the name that Snap on slaps on most re-brands, foreign or domestic. I have a lot of older Blue Point branded tools that are excellent US made tools. They are just not as polished or finished as a Snap on branded tool.
MAC puts their name on a huge amount of tools that they out source, have done so almost since day one.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2019, 01:04:40 PM »
 :)) found this on one of my sites

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2019, 03:12:24 PM »

LOL --- Was that was the special "Half Century" payment plan at 25% interest? -- what a deal!!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2019, 05:39:18 PM »

Oh shoot!  :D

You get it paid off and it's time to buy a new one!

Offline Jamesyarbrough

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2019, 07:05:30 PM »

Blue Point is the name that Snap on slaps on most re-brands, foreign or domestic. I have a lot of older Blue Point branded tools that are excellent US made tools. They are just not as polished or finished as a Snap on branded tool.
MAC puts their name on a huge amount of tools that they out source, have done so almost since day one.

Yeah thats what im saying. And then they triple the price. Its unethical and honesty i hope snap on, mac, matco, and cornwell go out of business.  Its not right the way the do hard working mechanics.

Heck i seen the mac guy here selling stanley ratchets for $50 when they were $20 at walmart. And the mechanics actually believed they were better tools than the ones at walmart and paid the price for them.  I know ithe blame is on both parties, but dang man it aint right. 

Sorry to get off on a rant.

Offline muddy

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2019, 07:06:01 PM »

Oh shoot!  :D

You get it paid off and it's time to buy a new one!
Just like a car!

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2019, 10:10:19 PM »
Used to be Blue Point was just as high quality as Snap-on. I do not think that is the case anymore, BP stuff is import anymore and years ago that was not the case.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2019, 11:52:54 PM »

Yeah thats what im saying. And then they triple the price. Its unethical and honesty i hope snap on, mac, matco, and cornwell go out of business.  Its not right the way the do hard working mechanics.

Heck i seen the mac guy here selling stanley ratchets for $50 when they were $20 at walmart. And the mechanics actually believed they were better tools than the ones at walmart and paid the price for them.  I know ithe blame is on both parties, but dang man it aint right. 

No sympathy from me if a mechanic isn't smart enough to realize that.

Besides, with the proliferation of Harbor Freight and other discounters, nobody is forced to be a slave to the tool trucks anymore.
boop/bop/beep

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2019, 10:36:30 PM »
Besides, if there were no truck brands, what would Harbor Freight beat?

More importantly, all those HF fanboys would have nowhere to direct all that anger and jealousy at.

Offline Jamesyarbrough

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2019, 05:55:44 AM »
Well we would still have sk, and wright tool for them to gripe about. :))

And now there are gearwrench trucks too. I wish gearwrench was domestic, but i like the pricing compared to mac and matco taiwan tools.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2019, 06:54:35 PM »
Lot of matco is gearwrench

Offline fedwrench

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2019, 09:33:02 AM »

Not so much currently. There was a time when the Armstrong factory that used to crank out MATCO tools along with other brands was shuttered, that MATCO used some Gearwrench made tools to fill the void but, now MATCO has distanced itself from Gearwrench and is using Kabo supplied tools along with US made tools such as their ratchets from AJ Manufacturing.

back to the original theme, Harbor Freight will release their ICON line of professional mechanics tools and tool storage towards the end of September. They are also looking at a Harbor Freight credit card which might be zero percent interest for 2-3 years. I saw the ICON tools at last year's SEMA show and they are definitely not your usual Harbor Freight fare. Time will tell if they'll be accepted or not but, i know that the second generation Harbor Freight tool carts and boxes are pretty popular in many shops in my area.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2019, 09:55:07 AM »

Not so much currently. There was a time when the Armstrong factory that used to crank out MATCO tools along with other brands was shuttered, that MATCO used some Gearwrench made tools to fill the void but, now MATCO has distanced itself from Gearwrench and is using Kabo supplied tools along with US made tools such as their ratchets from AJ Manufacturing.

back to the original theme, Harbor Freight will release their ICON line of professional mechanics tools and tool storage towards the end of September. They are also looking at a Harbor Freight credit card which might be zero percent interest for 2-3 years. I saw the ICON tools at last year's SEMA show and they are definitely not your usual Harbor Freight fare. Time will tell if they'll be accepted or not but, i know that the second generation Harbor Freight tool carts and boxes are pretty popular in many shops in my area.

I'm honestly interested in this new HF ICON line. With the demise of Sears and the outsourcing of Craftsman for years I've begun to look at HF differently. I'm looking at needing some new tools in the future (no collectibles), and would really like to find a decent tool line with a good warranty and convenient locations. With talk of a credit line it sounds like HF is the place to be.  :)

Offline walrus

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2019, 01:05:24 PM »

And now there are gearwrench trucks too. I wish gearwrench was domestic, but i like the pricing compared to mac and matco taiwan tools.
Wright sells Cougar tools, where are they made?

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2019, 01:10:31 PM »

Wright sells Cougar tools, where are they made?

At one time, Cougar was outsourced to Danaher/Apex by Wright Walrus. I'm not sure what the situation is today.

Offline Jamesyarbrough

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2019, 05:23:11 PM »
I think cougar is imported

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2019, 03:20:02 AM »
Quote from: goodfellow
At one time, Cougar was outsourced to Danaher/Apex by Wright Walrus. I'm not sure what the situation is today.

I think it's still Apex/Danaher...but Asian.

Offline highland512

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2019, 08:31:03 AM »

Do you think the tools that are reported to be coming out of a new SBD facility in TX in a year or two will be competing against ICON?

Offline Jamesyarbrough

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2019, 01:20:34 PM »
Idk. I hope the new icon line is affordable like the old school craftsman. But from what i seen with their packaging i doubt it will be.  You dont put a ratchet in a $20 box unless you are gonna charge for it.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2019, 01:47:05 PM »
Idk. I hope the new icon line is affordable like the old school craftsman. But from what i seen with their packaging i doubt it will be.  You dont put a ratchet in a $20 box unless you are gonna charge for it.

It's their new "professional line"; hence it will be priced accordingly. Expect the price to be at, or slightly below NAPA Carlyle

Offline Jamesyarbrough

« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2019, 08:32:36 PM »
Carlyle is over priced as well in my opinion.   Guess if i decide to buy a bunch of imported tools ill look at gearwrench and tekton.....but i have so much vintage usa stuff i probably wont need to.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2019, 11:42:53 PM »
Don`t fund china.... there I`ve said it.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2019, 06:58:23 AM »
Don`t fund china.... there I`ve said it.

Most of their quality import tools come from Taiwan. I don't mind buying Taiwanese and Japanese manufactured tools (and have been for years). Many of you guys probably don't remember, but in the early days of Harbor Freight (in the late 1970s it was called Harbor Freight & Salvage Co.), the company sold mostly Taiwanese and Japanese sourced tools. Many of my large shop tools are from that time period, and they are very good quality.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2019, 11:07:51 AM »
In the early days they literally were a salvage company and bought and resold salvaged and unclaimed freight. Mostly from freighters but what they could get from the railroads as well.

I have some philosophical issues buying Chinese but I will. I will not buy anything Japanese which can be very hard because a lot of things contain something that was sourced from Japan or by a Japanese company.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.