Author Topic: As if I need more...  (Read 15114 times)

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
As if I need more...
« on: November 10, 2018, 01:07:27 PM »
Why is it that when someone tells me about a car of interest for sale, I have to go look and usually wind up buying it?  As if I need another Cutlass.  I'm at the someone told me about it stage.  Going to hit the having a look at it stage this afternoon. 

It's a sickness.

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
Re: As if I need more...
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 01:08:44 PM »
We'll need pics and a writeup if you get it!  :))
boop/bop/beep

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 01:21:53 PM »

But of course!  After I recover from the beating SWMBO gives me!

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 07:47:10 PM »
...and...stage 2 done.  Jury's still out on this one.

The good:

- new in box Wilwood front disc brake setup with 11" vented rotors.
- new in box rear drums
- nice chrome faux louvre plates on the hood (better than any of my others)
- console with shifter
- black bucket seats (some rips but servicable for now...will need recovering.  won't need as much $$$ to rebuild as the white buckets I have
- door panels ok, I can make them work for converting my currently white bench seat interior to black buckets/panels
- limited slip rear diff, unknown gear ratio (I have another sitting in the backyard in unknown condition)
- 1970 Olds 350, runs and sounds good, brand new Edelbrock 1406 carb (600 CFM)
- boxed trailing arms

The bad:

- body is rough, lots of bondo from previous repairs, lots of rust
- I don't need/want another parts car!
- front hood, fenders, core support and grills are from a '72.
- undrivable until brakes are done

"If" I went for it, my plan would be to swap the interiors between it and my current '70 (some may remember the dark grey car waiting for an engine transplant), possibly swap the rear ends and trailing arms.  Brakes would go on my '71 as the '70 has working front discs from a 442.  Or maybe they'd go on the grey '70 and put the old discs on the '71.  Mr. Decisive here.

The goal would be to keep the new '70 in as close to driving condition as possible then sell it to recoup as much of my investment as possible.  It won't sell for as much as I'd be paying for it so I need to decide whether it's probably resell value will leave me paying more for the parts I keep than I want!

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 09:56:20 PM »
Some of them photos :-D

Offline john k

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2018, 12:31:23 AM »
Going to look at another car when you got the sheds and back yard full only pains one.   Having 18 projects waiting ones attention  hurts in lots of ways,  BTDT.    Be strong!!

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2018, 08:08:58 AM »
Are you looking for outside advice on the purchase or have you dropped the hammer already?

Offline slip knot

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2018, 11:24:09 AM »
When you gonna go get it??? :D

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2018, 03:06:35 PM »
Going to look at another car when you got the sheds and back yard full only pains one.   Having 18 projects waiting ones attention  hurts in lots of ways,  BTDT.    Be strong!!

True that.  I've unloaded a lot of project cars over the last year or so.  This one would (hopefully) be very transient, just long enough to swap parts off with the car I'm keeping.

Are you looking for outside advice on the purchase or have you dropped the hammer already?

Outside advice and observations never hurt.  Mostly talking it through with some fellas (you all) who "get it".  Haven't made an offer on the car yet, but leaning towards it.  Using some parts from it will free up some similar but rougher parts for resale will which help subsidize it.  I think I can make it work for a break even financially while ending up with a couple thousand worth of upgrades kept.

When you gonna go get it??? :D

Hahahahah!  Still mulling it over.  I do like the black interior....

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
The Olds Garage
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 12:38:43 PM »
Shoot me now.   :)  (Ray, might as well move this thread to the Project car section!)

Agreed on a price, now I need to gather the funds to pay it off.  This means I'm about down to 1 (one) VW and up to 4 (four) Cutlii. 

Once home (hopefully in a few weeks) the plan will be to swap the parts between the good car and this one to wind up with more of the car I want.  To catch everyone up on the Olds collection...

From left to right...

1970 Cutlass S which will become the focus of this thread.  Body and paint are in excellent condition, car was debadged during the last paint work (by PO) and 442 numbers applied (incorrectly) to the front between the grills.  No engine or transmission in it currently, will receive an Olds 455, TH400 and an OAI hood.  The first car mentioned in this thread will provide a black interior with bucket seats and console shift package, limited slip diff, boxed trailing arms and a few other parts.  As it's not the original colour and didn't come with the original engine, I'm building it to be the car I want...which will pretty much resemble a 442.

1971 Cutlass S, Olds 350, column shift, bench seat, white interior.  My first Cutlass purchased a few years ago from my sister in law, who bought the car in 1989 and drove it for years.  I've been driving it the last few years while collecting parts for restoration.  It will eventually be repainted and restored retaining it's current colours and configuration.

1971 Cutlass S, Olds 260 (V8) (Long story for another time), white interior.  Swapped some parts between this and my '71.  This car is sold pending receipt of balance owing and pickup.

1970 Cutlass S (not in this photo as I don't actually possess it yet), Olds 350, Console shift.  Parts donor for my '70 project, will hopefully be rehomed before long.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2018, 01:14:02 PM »
  hey Der Bugmeister,
 You ever heard of this guy ......>  Neil Bortz ?

Pep

[/quote]
But of course!  After I recover from the beating SWMBO  < ... :-\
[/quote]
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2018, 01:17:20 PM »
  hey Der Bugmeister,
 You ever heard of this guy ......>  Neil Bortz ?

Pep

Not offhand, no. Although I may know him by a screen name in the Classic Oldsmobile forums.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2018, 03:05:47 PM »
I sense the seismic shift of a screen name change. (and it no longer includes the word bug in it).  ;D

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2018, 04:09:35 PM »
I sense the seismic shift of a screen name change. (and it no longer includes the word bug in it).  ;D

I debated that with the new site  :))

I'm still the local "go to" for old Beetle parts and my literature/memorabilia collection on VWs is extensive.  Probably just drop a word in there, noting the importance of the "S"...Der Olds Bugmeister.  Again, note that S lol

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2018, 07:12:01 PM »
I have a 65 vert....

Seems this is the only pic I have on this computer. I need to dust it off and put some upholstery on the seats and start driving it vs just looking at the car cover on it.

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2018, 12:47:00 AM »
A good drive will get you wanting to drive it more.  I'd love to see more photos of it.

Here's mine...

Offline nonhog

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2018, 02:03:31 AM »
A good drive will get you wanting to drive it more.  I'd love to see more photos of it.

Here's mine...
B e a ute iful!
So is the yard full of Cutli.

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2018, 01:41:19 PM »

Here's mine...
B e a ute iful!
So is the yard full of Cutli.

None in the yard, but the shop is!  Currently the 1970, 1971 and 1972...the '72 will be going to it's new home probably the same day the new 1970 comes home hopefully in a week or two...so the count will stay at three.  Those things take up some room!!!

Debating the fate of the new one, leaning towards parting it out.

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2018, 08:53:32 PM »

I guess I'm at the "you need pics and a writeup" stage now.  Brought it home today and my tan '72 went to it's new home.  As I still technically own the tan car (I'm holding the papers and still have a two thirds interest in it until he slides me the rest of the greenbacks) here's a photo of my four cutlii.  In the foreground is the '72.  Top of the lift is the grey '70 that's getting the 455, etc.  Under the lift is the new to me '70 parts donor. To the left is my '71 driver.

More photos later on, but my quandry is now the ultimate disposition of the new one.  Pulling parts from it, but I have other parts I "could" replace them with to keep it a roller.  It needs a complete brake system replacement but runs well and shifts fine.  Lots of rust.  Financially doesn't make sense for someone to restore it, but that doesn't stop some people from doing it anyhow.  Just never feels good parting out a running car even if it's a bucket.

Any how, there you have it.  Full cycle as predicted.  On the bright side, this was the first time in years where it's been "one in, one out" and I currently have the lowest number project/parts cars on hand than at any point in the past many many years!

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2018, 02:14:28 PM »
Financially doesn't make sense for someone to restore it, but that doesn't stop some people from doing it anyhow.  Just never feels good parting out a running car even if it's a bucket.

Part it out, the money in your pocket will overcome the bad feelings :))

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2018, 08:47:33 PM »
Financially doesn't make sense for someone to restore it, but that doesn't stop some people from doing it anyhow.  Just never feels good parting out a running car even if it's a bucket.

Part it out, the money in your pocket will overcome the bad feelings :))

True enough, Phil :-D  My car hobby is supported completely by doing that, mostly with VW parts through the years.  I'll have to post up some photos of my extensive parts piles sometime.

I'll probably make the decision before long...especially if my potential buyer makes me a worthwhile offer for it after I pull the parts I really want from it.