Author Topic: Stupid Garage door question.  (Read 4647 times)

Offline muddy

Stupid Garage door question.
« on: April 23, 2019, 05:29:10 PM »
Ok so this may be a stupid question but.....

Are my garage door springs supposed to have some tension on them when the door is up?

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline DeadNutz

Re: Stupid Garage door question.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 06:46:48 PM »
Yes as the weight of the door will make it drop part way when it is open. Have you ever adjusted springs before as they can be deadly.

Offline muddy

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 06:55:00 PM »
Yes as the weight of the door will make it drop part way when it is open. Have you ever adjusted springs before as they can be deadly.
I forgot to mention it has a door opener if that makes any difference.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline slip knot

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 09:27:55 PM »
Garage doors are one home item I dnt mess with. Its not that they're too hard or dangerous but its too cheap to have them fixed. Theres a company here that will rehab an old door for @$75. New rollers, new springs, new safety cables and adjust it to work like new all in about 30 minutes.

The owner of the company was my 7th grade woodshop teacher. He still remembers my name. I musta been a really good student ;D

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 11:38:03 PM »
Garage doors are one home item I dnt mess with. Its not that they're too hard or dangerous but its too cheap to have them fixed. Theres a company here that will rehab an old door for @$75. New rollers, new springs, new safety cables and adjust it to work like new all in about 30 minutes.

The owner of the company was my 7th grade woodshop teacher. He still remembers my name. I musta been a really good student ;D

Sure Curtis sure, that is why he remembers your name. :D

Tim, you have a different spring arrangement than me. One way to check the spring tension is to pull the opener release and lift the door manually and if it is really heavy and won't stay up the springs need more tension.

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 12:02:35 AM »

They can be very dangerous if you don't know what you're doing.  I've repaired the single car garage door I had a couple of times then decided it was time to get a new door.  I got nearly fourteen years out of that old wooden door before deciding that was enough.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 12:05:25 AM by Lookin4_67GalaxieConv »
boop/bop/beep

Offline RustFarmer

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 08:04:16 AM »
Are my garage door springs supposed to have some tension on them when the door is up?

Two types of garage door springs.  Extension and Torsion.  You have Extension.

With Extension springs, when the door is up, there is very little to no tension on the springs.  As stated upthread, upon proper adjustment of the springs, the weight of the door will be counterbalanced against the tension of the springs.  With the opener disconnected, the door should go up and down freely, and be counterbalanced (door should not go up or down by itself, at least not rapidly).

I've worked on both types of springs, not a big deal if you follow the proper procedures.

My tips:

Use a good ladder that is rated over the weight of you and the stuff you are carrying.
Wear a tool belt, remove the sharp pointy things from the belt and your pockets, and have a backup wrench in case you drop the main wrench.
On torsion springs DO NOT USE SCREWDRIVERS FOR WINDING BARS!  Buy or make the proper tool.
Set screws on torsion springs have square heads.  8 point sockets are ideal for this.
Think through what you will be doing before you begin.

Good Luck and Be Safe.

Offline crankshaftdan II

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 11:32:11 AM »
Just another heads up-on the extension spring doors-it is a good safety factor to take a 3/16" dia. cable and run it inside of the entire length and tether it to the bracket and the wall on other end.   If the spring decides to snap off at either connecting end the spring cannot slam into you, your auto, window or wall.   If and or when it decides to let go the cable will keep it from destroying anything!   I replaced a window on the wall and had a nice deep dent in the side of my van and decided to have a new steel/insulated door w/torsion  springs which will only break in-place held firmly by the cross bar! :)