Author Topic: Full rigged ship, Sailing Around Cape Horn 1928  (Read 1009 times)

Offline torqueman2002

Full rigged ship, Sailing Around Cape Horn 1928
« on: December 30, 2021, 12:21:15 PM »
This 1st person narrative by Captain Irving Johnson is captivating!

"A rare and wonderful part of history capturing a square-rigged ship in full motion.
This incredible film was made by Captain Irving Johnson in 1928, when he was but a swabby before the mast."

"I got to show the young boys how not to do it. I haven't showed them everything not to do, yet. It's a big job!" - Otto Kilcher

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Full rigged ship, Sailing Around Cape Horn 1928
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2021, 07:38:23 PM »
Amazing voyage. Those men were in excellent shape -- especially Capt. Johnson.

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
Re: Full rigged ship, Sailing Around Cape Horn 1928
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 01:27:41 PM »
Absolutely incredible.  I loved being in a good storm at sea, but of course that was in the comfort of a dry frigate or destroyer.  The worst storm I sailed through was on a larger replenishment ship, off the east coast in late February many years ago.  We were looking up at the tops of the waves from the bridge.  By the time we got into Halifax the ship was literally encased in ice, over 150 tons of it...just like the old WW2 convoy photos from the North Atlantic.  The ship took a fair bit of damage to upper deck equipment as well.

I never could get comfortable on sailing ships, even knowing their design allowed for extreme rolls.  I sailed on the HMCS Oriole (102' Marconi rigged ketch, 2 masts, no power winches, everything set by manpower alone) and seeing the gunwale slipping underwater always unnerved me.

I can't imagine enduring that sort of weather under the conditions those men sailed through.  And most of them went back for more!