Author Topic: Engine Oil Shortage?  (Read 3321 times)

Offline highland512

Engine Oil Shortage?
« on: January 10, 2022, 06:46:48 PM »
Anyone else seeing a lack of selection at your local oil getting place? I went to get some rotella t4 15w40 and no luck at 3 different stores. I finally got Rural King store brand 15w40 that had the same specs.

I find this odd shell t4 is like the coke of 15w40 oils.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline muddy

Re: Engine Oil Shortage?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 06:55:31 PM »
Yep couldn't find Rottella at TSC when I went for it, ended up getting traveler.

Also noticed my local Walmart is only carrying synthetic blend or full synthetic. No conventional.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Offline slip knot

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2022, 07:20:52 PM »
I read on another site that some component of motor oil was in short supply. I was in Napa last week and they seemed to have a lot of oil but it was mostly the house blend.

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2022, 07:56:12 PM »
I read on another site that some component of motor oil was in short supply. I was in Napa last week and they seemed to have a lot of oil but it was mostly the house blend.

Not sure of the other weights but the NAPA 5W20 full synthetic looks to be make by Valvoline.  I'm always looking for the oil/filter specials for my daughter's Honda and NAPA has them regularly.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2022, 09:54:47 PM »
I heard rumblings about motor oil and oil filter shortages about 2-3 months ago, so traveled around a bit and snagged two 5 qt jugs and about 7 NOS filters from thrift stores and such. I carry a filter cross reference chart in the truck, so, whenever I visit a thrift shop I take it with me just in case. Luckily, the wife's car takes the same filter and oil. I have a place do my oil changes, but have those supplies in storage just in case I have to do it myself.

What I found is "conventional" is no more it seems. Full synthetic or blends are all that available. And synthetic oil is made from natural gas - which supplies are tight. So possible shortages are on the table.

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2022, 06:27:50 AM »
Was at Wallyworld yesterday to pick up oil and filters. Mostly synthetic oil was on the shelf, and only in a few viscosities. Filter section was bare - lots of gaps on the shelf.

Canned veggies were also spotty.

It’s going to get interesting over the next few months. I’m not a prepper type, but am putting a few bulk food items in the pantry. - just in case.

Offline highland512

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2022, 09:37:31 AM »
Was at Wallyworld yesterday to pick up oil and filters. Mostly synthetic oil was on the shelf, and only in a few viscosities. Filter section was bare - lots of gaps on the shelf.

It’s going to get interesting over the next few months. I’m not a prepper type, but am putting a few bulk food items in the pantry. - just in case.

We started canning from our garden a couple years ago. At first it was just for fun but we soon realized how much better our canned green beans tasted in February than the store canned stuff. Now we are talking about canning even more because who knows what’s next. Worst case is we don’t have grocery bill.

I keep seeing pictures from the east coast grocery stores with empty shelves. Is this common? In know here in the Midwest I haven’t been seeing it

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2022, 10:12:53 AM »

We started canning from our garden a couple years ago. At first it was just for fun but we soon realized how much better our canned green beans tasted in February than the store canned stuff. Now we are talking about canning even more because who knows what’s next. Worst case is we don’t have grocery bill.

I keep seeing pictures from the east coast grocery stores with empty shelves. Is this common? In know here in the Midwest I haven’t been seeing it

Not sure about the rest of the state, but in the Richmond area suburbs the common grocery chains like Kroger, Publix, Food Lion, and Wegman's are starting to look more sparse in their overall inventory. Food Lion especially is limited in it's offerings -- and has been for quite a while. My wife shops at Kroger, Publix and Food Lion depending on what she's looking for, and she has come back numerous times in the past two months without the items that she wanted to purchase.

COSTCO still has bulk food, but the usually "stacked to the rafters" pallet system is noticeably sparse. Bulk flour, rice, and beans are not as plentiful as they were early last fall. The meat section is also lacking in volume and variety when compared to just a few months ago.

Also -- At Walmart I've been trying to find a can of plain white interior Glidden latex paint to keep on hand for touch-ups. No such luck for at least the last four months. Walmart's white flat interior latex paint is just not available. I painted most of the interior of the house with that stuff, and bought it regularly last spring, but since late Sept. it's stayed off the shelves.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 10:18:28 AM by goodfellow »

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2022, 01:21:52 PM »
 Bit north of Ray and have to agree, shelves are sparse on certain items and it seems to rotate as to what is available.  Food Lion and BJ's is where I shop most

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2022, 01:45:37 PM »
Went to Wallyworld yesterday myself. Lots of bare spots and gaps on the shelves. Canned meats, canned fruits, pasta and pasta sauce, mac and cheese, soups, all pretty much decimated. Atkins products which I use was also real thin. I think that may have to do with the trucker mandatory vaccination to and from Canada coming up on the 15th. I'm pretty sure Atkins stuff is made in Canada. So it could dry up.

Mentioned something about the empty shelves to a cashier that I know. She agreed there were bare spots. Then I said I guess the food shortages they've been predicting are starting to happen. She replied, "What food shortages?"

Offline slip knot

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2022, 07:24:20 PM »
Getting goods for work is getting sketchy. I can place an order for 5 tons of chlorine and it may take two weeks to get here. then its one here then 2more three days later then one a couple days later. Really aggravating. Last year an order for 5 tons would have them setting at the gate 0700 the next day.

We're working on next years budget and the sales guys wont even give us a quote for a new pump. He told me that he was going to take whatever number they gave him and double it for my quote. AND it still may be too low.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2022, 08:32:30 PM »
We try to go shopping early when the stores open to have the best chance to find what we want. The stores have been stocked pretty decent but we stock up when we find our most commonly used items.
I just read a local story about the cattle here in NV. It said there are about 245,000 head and they can have a good year with prices going up and the possibility of busting the drought. The light weight calves under 400lbs are bringing high prices with most going to Cal for the grass fed beef market. We have many cattle in our county but no slaughterhouses which several outfits are trying to get permission to build and operate but too many NIMBYs.

The wife still struggles to find steel she needs and the price of their primary material used for repairs has at least doubled in price per pound and she buys thousands of pounds quite often.

Offline walrus

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2022, 03:59:34 AM »

Common here in Maine. If I shop at Sams or BJs, not much problem but the large chain of Hannafords and Shaws seem to have issue keeping product on the shelves. I'm not convinced its actually a shortage of product to put out there but the labor to actually stock the shelves.  Prices are off the charts also.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2022, 08:15:37 AM »
Scheduled my oil change with the mechanic yesterday. Asked him if the supply shortages were any better - he said they were way worse. Said he needed a fuel pump for a 2008  truck - supposedly a very common part - and the nearest one he found was in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. And I hear certain car tires are out of stock - and I need a pair for the van. Just my luck!

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2022, 08:48:05 AM »
I know one thing, I am glad I am not raising a family during this time.