Author Topic: A Cherished Potato Masher...  (Read 264 times)

Offline oldcarguy

A Cherished Potato Masher...
« on: March 23, 2024, 02:38:04 PM »

Anyone that follows my posts would know that I spend a lot of time in the kitchen preparing food. Time spent is therapeutic, a source of both comfort and joy in creating a good meal. My mother taught me how to cook starting some 70 years ago. And mashed potatoes was always a mainstay,, making them twice a week ever since. Since I was on my own. I have been looking for Mother's style potato masher at flea markets, garage sales, and second hand stores. No success. Yet today all my family and friends say that I make the world's best mashed potatoes. When I returned from Florida a package arrived from my younger sister that just had cancer surgery and refuses any further treatment. A heart felt note was inside saying, “That I deserve owning my mother's masher and saw to it that I received it.” I have to fight back the tears from the note, and even typing this post. Everyone knows that I hold dear old school tools, particularly once used by my family and friends.

Wizard Potato Masher made by Merit Products Company in Niles, Ohio. Just a few miles from my parents home town. The company is no longer around. Best that I could find it was made from 1945 to 1950... I cleaned up the oxidation and sanded, stained, and put automotive clear coat on the wood handle. There's not a better potato masher made today. And cannot wait to have it returned to service!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: A Cherished Potato Masher...
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2024, 02:46:26 PM »
Great story OCG, and blessings to your ailing sister.

Looking at the masher, making a close copy wouldn't be that hard.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2024, 08:47:56 PM »
I love old kitchen gadgets too. I've got my grandmothers iron skillet. still use it several times a week. Using that old masher will take them already superb mash taters up a notch or so. Food just taste better knowing that the past generations are helping you cook.

Offline john k

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2024, 09:56:38 PM »
One thing left out is your potato recipe, and whites or red potatos?  Got a facsimile of my mothers kitchen tool, is the bent wire type.  Can make them, as I cant stand the grainy texture of box potatos.  Was taught how to cook, as i like to eat so much!  Congrats on reaquiring the family heirloom.

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2024, 11:10:39 AM »
One thing left out is your potato recipe, and whites or red potatos?  Got a facsimile of my mothers kitchen tool, is the bent wire type.  Can make them, as I cant stand the grainy texture of box potatos.  Was taught how to cook, as i like to eat so much!  Congrats on reaquiring the family heirloom.

Actually Yukon Gold's are arguably overall the best,, giving the best flavor and consistency in mashed potatoes. Next would be red's. They produce smooth and creamy; but a little sticky. Russet's excel in fluffy and overall tasty flavor. Followed by Idaho's and California New's. So often I mix two or three different varieties for fun.. After peeling, they should be cut into the same size chunks for even cooking. To quicken the cooking process, cut into dice size. Be careful though, as the end product will end up mushy.. Once the potatoes are soft throughout. Drain the cooked potatoes in a big strainer not letting them cool too much. Add salt and a dash and or pepper. With the pot still hot place slices of real butter in the bottom to melt. Returned the drained potatoes to the pot and start mashing them until they are smooth without any chunks left. Slowly add milk, for creamier consistency use Evaporated Can Milk, and vigorously whipping until the consistency you like. For an interesting sticky and interesting flavorful mashed potatoes. Try Adding some of your favorite freshly shredded cheese. Like Parmesan, Romano, or Sharp White Cheddar.. Add cheese before adding milk so that it melts and mixes with the potatoes. Then savor the best...

Offline john k

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2024, 12:58:47 PM »
Great, thank you

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2024, 03:16:39 PM »
Isn't it funny how seemingly irrelevant items from the past bring up memories of younger days.

Not to hijack this thread but mine is a sharpening steel with a marking of Russell Green River Works.  I remember my late Father, gone 30 years now, using it every time he grabbed a non-serrated knife to put an edge on it.  When my Mother gave it to me she said that Dad remembered my Grandfather using it regularly as well.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2024, 05:39:39 PM »
Isn't it funny how seemingly irrelevant items from the past bring up memories of younger days.

Not to hijack this thread but mine is a sharpening steel with a marking of Russell Green River Works.  I remember my late Father, gone 30 years now, using it every time he grabbed a non-serrated knife to put an edge on it.  When my Mother gave it to me she said that Dad remembered my Grandfather using it regularly as well.

Simply priceless. With a metal loop on the end for easy hanging it up. And always at hand for the next use.   

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2024, 06:01:34 PM »
Successfully returned the old masher to work today. I pealed and boiled a pot of potatoes, half Red's and half Yukon Golds.

Strained the water off

Mashed them.. The curly worm shaped potatoes brought back my childhood memories

OldCarGuy's smashed potatoes accompanied by a thick pork chop grilled golden brown on the grille. Some buttered cooked whole baby carrots and peas. With a side dish of homemade coleslaw and some freshly cut pineapple with grapes. And to wash it down,, fresh squeezed lemonade..

My two puppies enjoyed the dinner with the bones...

Offline slip knot

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2024, 08:24:17 PM »
Those pork chops look good.

Growing up, we always had rice with everything. Too many summers spent with my cajun grandma :-* porkchops rice and gravy is still one of my favorites. I married a German girl and potatoes soon became a staple around here.  I've been known to have rice and potatoes with my porkchops now :lol_hitting: