Author Topic: My back hurts; also reminiscing of childhood  (Read 6926 times)

Offline Davethorik

Re: My back hurts; also reminiscing of childhood
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2020, 12:01:00 PM »
There is some nice stuff here. I already have 3 sets of SAE wrenches, and it looks like a lot of Cman, but there are 3-4 each of every size 5/8 to 1". So a lot of unnecessary duplicates.
Guess who wont be buying any SAE wrenches soon.

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2020, 02:15:34 AM »
I have mild ocd. I don't think brown krinkle paint and red will look *too* horrible together   :D :D :D

I picked up this monster Kennedy top chest today. In the pic on fb marketplace I could tell it had 12 drawers which was a big plus. I thought it was the larger machinist top chest, WRONG.

I get there and see this beast for how large it really is, and start wondering  :-[ :-[ :-[  how exactly I'm going to get it in my car. Lol. It measures 33" wide, 18" deep and 20" tall. I couldn't get it in the trunk so I blew my testes and back getting it in and out of the back seat.

From what I can tell this model the 3412 was discontinued at some point. The newer listings all show ball bearing slides, but this is definitely all friction, guessing its older. New with bb slides, this box was 1800 from grainger.Weight is about 170 lbs empty, no wonder I struggled getting it in the car :D

Couple of issues, all fixable. No keys. Don't think i did bad for 100.

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2020, 06:28:12 AM »
You stole that thing, looks in awesome shape.  Now you need one of those Kennedy carts to put it on.
boop/bop/beep

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2020, 10:59:07 AM »
I think that would look horrible on your Mac box. You would do best to unload it on one of us.

That was a heck of a good buy and there is nothing wrong with the Kennedy friction slides as they handle weight as long as they are clean and lubed. :great:

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2020, 01:10:51 AM »
You stole that thing, looks in awesome shape.  Now you need one of those Kennedy carts to put it on.

Yup the Kennedy cart is on page one, but it's red and has a Mac emblem.  :D
I figure anyway, the MB1510 top chest for the MB1500 will be like looking for a needle in a haystack, unless i buy an existing pair. So I'm personally fine with this unholy pairing.

The Kennedy has 2 drawers with issues. The drawers are obviously out of level L to R. Hard to notice with miles of extruded pulls in your face. The top 2 full width drawers. They still work but hang up on each other on 1 side. I think the slides are twisted or bent. All the other drawers are square to the cabinet and have the perfectly broken in friction slide feel.

There is a lock but no key. The drawer lock bars, all 3, latch onto the lid itself and when opened, drawers unlock. All 3 bars are bent away from the lid so they just stay unlocked with the lid shut. That in theory shouldn't be hard to fix, maybe a bit of trial and error.

I have a Kennedy hand box that has a functional lock with keys. I can swap it out.

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2020, 03:04:42 AM »
I think that would look horrible on your Mac box. You would do best to unload it on one of us.

That was a heck of a good buy and there is nothing wrong with the Kennedy friction slides as they handle weight as long as they are clean and lubed. :great:

These do need some cleaning and lubing, but the friction slides feel great on The Brown Beast. I have a Kennedy roller at work and the bottom 2 drawers have a lot of weight in them, have handled it fine for years.  :08:

In other good news, the drawer alignment was a stupid simple fix. Emphasis on "stupid." At some point, someone took some drawers out and put them back in wrong. They had the slide riding in the upper stiffening lip somehow. Not just that, it had been that way some time. Enough for droopy drawer 1 to have rubbed paint off droopy drawer 2 on the top left. SMDH :-[ :-[ :-[

2 minutes later, drawers working as they should, properly aligned. Here is a current pic, looks like a whole new box after I got the labels and adhesive residue off the pulls. They are in good shape.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 03:06:56 AM by Davethorik »

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2020, 05:42:17 PM »
Here is some of the paperwork for the Mac.

Total amount financed was $1552.80, after a $50 credit was applied. Adjusted for inflation from 1989, that is $3210.71 in 2020 currency.

The bill of lading shows 550 lbs. which agrees with the 1988 catalog I just picked up.

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2020, 05:47:39 PM »
And here is the pair. I beat the lock bars in the Kennedy with a dead blow til they worked. Swapped a lock with keys from another Kennedy hand box I have. Now i have a fully functioning and lockable top box. I am stoked!!!!! :cool2:

The boxes do not clash as bad as I thought. The pulls look similar, and the Kennedy on the left matches the drawer stack on the Mac nicely. 25 drawers!!!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 05:52:00 PM by Davethorik »

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2020, 09:26:31 AM »
Some great boxes there and while not matching, they compliment each other well (said the colorblind guy :)))

Beats my mismatched crap 2 single bay stacks I have at home

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2020, 10:46:30 AM »
Looks great -- hope you get many years of enjoyment out of that set. Classic boxes always make a garage/shop much more interesting.

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2020, 06:29:50 PM »
Thanks guys! I'm excited for my forever box!!

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2020, 06:46:15 PM »
That top box is one fine looking lesbian.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2020, 01:44:29 PM »
That top box is one fine looking lesbian.

:D thanks jab

I also want to take the time to say, this thread is not just a gloat post. I'm sure that is how some may view it. I've never had a big tool box at home. Now that I do, I am pretty proud of it. Thanks for reading my rambling thoughts.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2020, 06:34:52 AM »
I doubt anyone sees it as a gloat post, your history gives no indication of that being your nature.  I and am sure others are happy for you getting boxes for your house that you like, enjoy them!!

Offline slip knot

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2020, 10:39:57 AM »
Sometimes you gotta gloat just a little! When a nice score comes our way we all post up with a looky here what I found. Thats still a nice score anyway you look at it and knowing the history makes it even better. :PDT_Armataz_01_37: