Author Topic: My New Vise Stand  (Read 1890 times)

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
My New Vise Stand
« on: July 15, 2020, 06:32:27 PM »
This particular vise is a 6 1/2" Wilton Tradesman. Made in USA unit.

I worked in the West Texas Oil Field from 2006-09 for Schlumberger. I never worked anywhere before or since where time was such a commodity and everything seemed to be an emergency. If it didn't happen fast the world was ending or so they made it seem. This vise was being scrapped as the crew who had it on their logging truck had not maintained it and the jaw was frozen. And in typical fashion, they went and bought another one. I asked and did receive. I soaked it down repeatedly and used a wood splitting wedge and bertha our sledge hammer and worked the jaw loose.  I had to buy a horse shoe collar thing for the lead screw to retain the screw to the jaw. I tried to fab one up out of a big washer but decided it wasn't going to work out. Broke down and pried open the wallet and ordered a new one form www.ereplacementparts.com

Not sure I ordered the right one as the holes did line up but that isn't a problem as the vise had been abused so much that the original fasteners were broken off in the jaw. I set the new horse shoe on there marked, drilled and tapped new holes. I didn't do a good enough job and the hex head fasteners didn't work out and I ended up breaking off two of the hex head blots. So, I drilled em again and got some allen head fasteners and went that route.

I came upon two trailer drums, Yep, the big size off a semi trailer. I used to work for a gas supplier, Kicking around cylinders was fun for a while but I found a better place of employ with much better benefits, but that is a whole 'nother story. We had a customer who did trailer repairs and he was tossing these drums out, so I asked could I have them. He said sure so I loaded em up and took em home.  Any way, one drum in use here and another to build another stand for the grinder.
Though I really like this concept with the interchangeable grinders and such.

Getting back on the topic, I found a place not far called Metal Supermarket. They happened to have a section of "cut offs". The guy running it that particular day, well, he seemed to like cash. So I picked out some stuff and we negotiated a price and I took my haul home. It included the big square tube and that 3/16" flat Plate. also got some angle, 1" square tube, some round bar and some strips of flat stock. I want to do a welding table like this one but that is another story too. First have to score a two wheel dolly. Or might just make one as I have some solid wheels and round bar for an axle. The options are limitless, haha.

In the plasma cutter thread I posted about cutting out the circle, and bolting it to the truck drum.
I bought some big nuts n washers and a rod of all thread. I cut off some lengths of all thread to bolt that circle on.

I ended up not having enough all thread so I had to order another stick of it. Got it sectioned and bolted the vise on the top plate I had cut out. I bought a 3/4" drill bit, but decided It was going to be too much to try and drill all those holes. So we marked em off and blew em out with the plasma cutter. Worked great I think and way faster than drilling. The washer covers up the ragged looking holes.

I'm no weldor, but I can melt some rods. These were done with the new AHP on the arc setting. Had some 6011 rod(yep, you guessed it), That the gas supplier was throwing out. I ended up getting three or four boxes. Burned really well for a hack like me.

And if you ever see the crew replacing timbers on a rail line stop and ask for one or more of those rail plates. They are super hard and great for backing up stuff you are beating on. Also great on the hydraulic press for things. Can you tell i'm a cheap skate yet? Pays to be nice, always approach with a smile and ask what and how questions. Why questions get people on the defensive. Something like, "what is the chance I could get x or y?" or "would you think I'm crazy for wanting your help?" I'm wanting one and would love for you to hook me up."
Back to the vise.

Not exactly like the inspiration, but I think the one I built will work real good!
Rich

Offline slip knot

Re: My New Vise Stand
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 06:41:27 PM »
nicely done. I had a couple of buddy's that worked for schlumberger. they brought home lots of goodies, but the best was the used perforating guns. I dont know what they were made of but they welded really pretty and didn't hardly rust. We built tons of portable cattle panels out of them. a bit heavy but damned near indestructible.

My vise is mounted on some 4shot perf gun. 1/2 in wall stuff. damned tuff.

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 07:03:03 PM »
When I worked for Key doing cased hole we would collect up the guns by the pickup load for some "bonus" money at the metal recycler. Heavy is right, It would really squat down a 3/4 ton pickup.

I liked that job up until they wanted me to go to North Dakota in the middle of January. I told the boss, I didn't loose anything in North Dakota. He countered with, " You HAVE to go." I laughed, and told him, " Two things I have to do, die and pay taxes" and so ended my stint with Key.

My father In Law used to do machine work and machined a whole bunch of those guns in the early eighties. The stuff MUST fire and a misfire can and does get you run off the site. Things were checked and rechecked to make sure. But a misfire was not near as bad as getting a tool string stuck down hole. Fishing tools SUX!

Another great thing was cable for pipe and cable fence. We would cut off all kinds of cable when we got into H2S and it turned the cable green. 500', the engineer would say. and we would spool it out and test the strands again. Next thing ya know we are swapping a drum. Our engineer never wanted to not be able to do the DEEP wells for the best bonuses.

Running a crane is six kinds of fun too.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 07:10:44 PM by TexasT »
Rich

Online jabberwoki

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2020, 07:55:03 PM »
Nice job on the vice , tis sure beefy.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 11:27:56 PM »
Nice stand!

My friends that went to the ND patch said they had the best times and the worst times of their lives working there. It sounds crazy or boring and not much in between. Good money if you don't blow it all on your 2 wks off.  :lol_hitting:

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2020, 02:31:30 AM »
I like the stand! Reminds me, I need to make/find one. I do not have a suitable workbench at the moment.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2020, 04:58:50 PM »
A picture of a set of stands we made out of that perf gun. That stuff was really good steel, it welded so pretty.