Author Topic: Open gear ratchet comparison: Wright vs. Thorsen  (Read 4226 times)

Offline bonneyman

Open gear ratchet comparison: Wright vs. Thorsen
« on: April 02, 2019, 09:23:37 PM »
Some guys over a GJ ask me to do a side-by-side comparison of my two 1/2" drive open gear rats. Figured you guys would like to see it as well.

I have a Thorsen 77 and a Wright 4480. Both are in NOS condition, the Thorsen has a round knurled handle while the Wright is a comfort style.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 09:28:57 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

Re: Open gear ratchet comparison: Wright vs. Thorsen
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 09:25:46 PM »
Here they are next to some other 1/2" drive rats I have. A vintage Duro, vintage Herbrand, Bonney, and EASCO paint brush handle. Comparable lengths, with the open gears a tad longer. Might be a testament to the stronger open gear allowing for more torque from a longer handle.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 09:38:08 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 09:28:31 PM »
Physical measurements.

Weight:
WR  1 pound 7.4 ounces
TH   1 pound 3.5 ounces

Length:
WR  10 3/18"
TH   10 1/8"

Head diameter at widest point:
WR 1 3/16"
TH  1 3/8"

Gear width:
WR  1/2"
TH   7/16"

Both have 30 teeth

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 09:31:56 PM »
Back drag is very similar. If I had to chose the lower drag it would be the Thorsen.

Another advantage of the Thorsen is the selector/pawl only sticks out on one side of the head. This allows for the user to "feel" the selector and switch it by touch, and makes the tool less apt to accidentally reverse. The Wright's pawl extends out both sides, but is angled and curved (following the contour of the head quite closely), so I'd think that accidental reversing is remote.
Plus the gear teeth on the Wright extend past the head plate, so a dropped tool could chip or damage the gear. The Thorsen comes with a spring cover, but even with the cover off the gear teeth don't protrude past the head plate.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 09:41:18 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 09:37:26 PM »
The advantages of the Wright are a longer length, thinner head but thicker gear, and an ergonomic handle. The Thorsen has the lower backdrag and lower weight (though 4 ounces isn't alot, and the difference in backdrag is barely detectable), and a knurled handle. In the spirit of full disclosure I prefer round knurled handles, but both of the tools were very comfortable to hold.
An added advantage with the Wright is it's still in production, and swapping out the gear drive is a snap.

If someone has an Indestro open gear, please measure and share the specs. Also any other make of open gear ratchet is welcome, too.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2019, 10:33:46 PM »
I'm pretty sure that I have a 1/2" P & C open gear ratchet and I will check tomorrow.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 07:14:16 AM »
Nice work BM -- great write-up!

Online fatfillup

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2019, 07:37:58 AM »
In one of the threads about open heads, someone, Lauver I think, thought the open rats may have come from a military base.  My inventor buddy developed ratchets for the military and strength and durability in harsh environments were the most important traits so it makes sense that the open gear may have a military connection.  He developed a pawless ratchet based on his design for the pawless ratcheting wrenches.  While the open ratchet is easy to clean, and for that matter to lube, his ratchet would simply grind up any grit into dust and it would fall out of the ratchet.  His design was not open, but it was not sealed either. 

He said they normally gave tools to Marines to test and they liked it but the marketing guys never approved it for production.

Offline highland512

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2019, 08:37:37 AM »
I have both the Wright and the Thorsen. The 3/8 Thorsen is a smooth little beauty with a small head, I love it. The Wright is a hunk steel that is VERY tight with loads of back drag. It (wright) is a pretty ratchet but has been delegated to my truck box.

My Wright was found in a huge pile of milserp tools

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2019, 02:46:23 PM »
I bought 2 open gear P&C ratchets 3/8 and 1/2 from Chopper1 several years ago right before he passed away. The 3/8 has some light engraving of a number Bxxxxxxx on the head and I don't know if that means milsurp or company inventory.
Every time I open the drawers and see these it makes think of Mike and how much he enjoyed buying and selling tools.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2019, 02:54:10 PM »
The P&C 100 1/2 open gear ratchet looks pretty much like the Thorsen.

OAL   10 inches

Tooth count   30

Head diameter   1-3/8 inch

Head thickness   7/8 inch

Couldn't find my small scale so I didn't weigh it.