Author Topic: Let’s talk drill bits  (Read 6299 times)

Offline m_fumich

Let’s talk drill bits
« on: April 03, 2019, 05:49:33 PM »
I presume that for the average person, there are 2 basic kinds of drill bits; those used to drill through wood and those for drilling through metal. I also assume that one or the other would be used to drill through other materials such as plastics. Unfortunately, I don’t know diddly squat about drill bits other than saying “Yep, that’s a drill bit.” I need to purchase a drill bit set or two. Can someone please tell me what to look for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DeadNutz

Re: Let’s talk drill bits
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 06:08:20 PM »
You didn't say if most of your drilling will be metal, wood or plastic. Do you need number, letter or fractional sizes or what range of sizes do you need? How much do you want to spend?

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 06:30:50 PM »
Precision Twist Drill Cobalt screw machine stubbies are my current go to in the shop. It was Nachi drills, but they have gotten had to get. I'm speaking on machine shop use, so they are most likely beyond average guy expectations.

Greyson

Offline m_fumich

Let’s talk drill bits
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 07:09:45 PM »
You didn't say if most of your drilling will be metal, wood or plastic. Do you need number, letter or fractional sizes or what range of sizes do you need? How much do you want to spend?

I will be drilling wood, metal, and anything automotive related. Sizes are irrelevant. Once I know what kind of drill bits to buy, I’ll find the sizes I need. I don’t want to spend anymore than I have to but I will spend as much as necessary. Spending money on bits that won’t drill through butter is a waste so I’ll buy expensive bits if they will last me many years.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 07:11:54 PM by m_fumich »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 07:13:21 PM »
A thread cam up over at GJ in late 2015 asking about drill bits that didn't suck. I can't find the thread, but in my home remedies notes I wrote down that Norse bits seemed to get high marks.
Here's their website:

http://www.norsemandrill.com

Offline m_fumich

Let’s talk drill bits
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 09:14:23 PM »
A thread cam up over at GJ in late 2015 asking about drill bits that didn't suck. I can't find the thread, but in my home remedies notes I wrote down that Norse bits seemed to get high marks.
Here's their website:

WOW!!! $55 for a 15 bit set. Is that in the normal price range for good bits?

I will be calling Norseman’s customer service number to talk specifics with them.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 09:31:00 PM by m_fumich »

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 09:28:08 PM »
Just looking at descriptions on other product sights, I see descriptions like cobalt, titanium, or just plain high speed steel. What relevance is that to what they will be drilling through? If I buy bits for drilling metal, will it hurt them to drill through wood or should I buy a different set for that?

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2019, 10:28:05 PM »
Here's their website:

WOW!!! $55 for a 15 bit set. Is that in the normal price range for good bits?

I will be calling Norseman’s customer service number to talk specifics with them.

I hadn't looked at the prices. Since the forum gave them good reviews, I just tucked the info away for future use. At the moment I have enough bits for a bit.  ;D

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2019, 11:00:51 PM »
The best thing you can do is get ahold of a tool catalog from the major tool companies like MSC or an old Enco catalog as they have all the information you are looking for. They breakdown the different drills like cobalt, HSS and carbide and also discuss the different coatings as far as what material they are best used with. You do get what you pay for with drills or other tooling. Stay away from cheap un-twist drills from Asia as they can be about as durable as a wet noodle.

Offline walrus

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2019, 06:12:22 AM »
I use 1/8 cobalt for pilot holes. I'd look for made in the USA for good drill bits. Might not always be true but..... Good bits arent cheap

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2019, 07:35:59 AM »
Good bits arent cheap

True statement ^

Keep in mind, y'all coatings are coatings, and will wear. Have two large 100 + sets, and 3 jobber sets. The full sets one is  Northern tool the other Winters, price range 120- 400 or so.

They are HSS, and prefer the dark oxide over the bright. Seems to me to cut better and sharpen well.

Norseman and GJ consider the source, GJ: inspite of the chaff Norseman is foreign made, if that matters. Can do just as well with the Northern tool brand.

Might consider a Drill Doctor, great for touch ups, and cutting oil. Not seen any magic cutting oils that will over come dull bits.  No magic  mixes from the clueless chemist out there.  ACE brand a general purpose mix, will do the job fine, use it for hack saw cuts. Machining TapMagic preforms best there for my taste.

So there you go more confusion to ponder :-)

Cheers,
Pep

1776 ................... what happened!

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2019, 09:58:31 AM »
Norseman and GJ consider the source, GJ: inspite of the chaff Norseman is foreign made, if that matters. Can do just as well with the Northern tool brand.

According to the Norseman website, their manufacturing facility is in Minnesota. I would definitely consider shelling out more coin for quality US made bits.

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2019, 10:53:20 AM »
m_f,

Check out the Norseman jobber sets (in yellow storage/index cans)  29 piece HSS, 1/16"- 1/2" by 64ths.  This would be a good practical set for general automotive work, but would also work for many (but not all) wood projects.

Also check out a few Uni-bits (step drills for sheet metal projects).  These are great time savers for many projects.

This should get you started and last a long time.  You can always expand your drill bits as your needs and projects grow.  At some point in the future, you will likely want to add a metric set in HSS.

Hope this helps...
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Offline walrus

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2019, 03:49:47 PM »

According to the Norseman website, their manufacturing facility is in Minnesota. I would definitely consider shelling out more coin for quality US made bits.

LAst I knew Irwin Cobalts and maybe regular HSS bits were made in Gorham Maine. I have a set of Irwin Cobalts, good bits, nice index

Offline bonneyman