Author Topic: Battery desulfurization  (Read 4694 times)

Offline m_fumich

Battery desulfurization
« on: July 11, 2019, 08:24:00 PM »
Have any of you ever used battery desulfators? There are lots on eBay and I’d like to know if there’s anything I need to look for specifically or that I should avoid. Can you hook up multiple batteries to the same desulfator?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline chevy302dz

Re: Battery desulfurization
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 12:09:37 AM »
This is easy to build and it works but heed the safety instructions if you decide to make one.
https://vdocuments.mx/battery-desulfator-12v.html

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 07:23:11 AM »
My question regarding stuff like this  ....... in the end just exactly is one saving. Wasting a lot of time trying to avoid and only delaying having to replace a worn out battery anyway?

BTW the only one make or saving $$$$ ........ wait for it >>>>>>>>......... the one selling the dream

Everything has a service life, going beyond that is a wast of time and $$$

That's how I see it.
Pep
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 07:24:59 AM by pep »
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline chevy302dz

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 10:28:38 PM »
My question regarding stuff like this  ....... in the end just exactly is one saving. Wasting a lot of time trying to avoid and only delaying having to replace a worn out battery anyway?

BTW the only one make or saving $$$$ ........ wait for it >>>>>>>>......... the one selling the dream

That's how I see it.
Pep

Not true, mine has saved me aggravation and money for a very small investment of time and mostly spare parts I already had. I have brought back lawn and garden batteries which then lasted for 2 additional seasons, full size 12v batteries which receive intermittent use making it a poor candidate for a new battery, and even bringing back powertool batteries to a threshold where the smart charger could take over. 

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2019, 07:59:01 AM »
I have two batteries that I know were good when they first came into my possession. I didn’t have to buy them. They sat and now won’t charge. If I can get one of them to where it’s usable again, I will have saved myself more than the cost of the desulfater.

There used to be a time when you could buy used batteries from Autozone. It was Auto Shack back then. There are still places that sell used batteries. They’re not just junkyard pull outs. They’re reconditioned batteries just like what I’m trying to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2019, 10:43:20 AM »
When I worked for a battery manufacturer over 30 years ago we sold reconditioned batteries out of the warehouse. They were the batteries that were replaced because the backyard mechanics would buy a new battery and then find out the battery went dead because it wasn't the problem but they would claim the battery was no good. The auto parts store would send them back to us under warranty. The batteries would be tested and checked and if they were deemed as good they could not be placed back in the stores as new but sold as a reconditioned battery out of the warehouse. Many times I would return to the warehouse to find Sheriff and Highway Patrols cars parked there and the officers were buying reconditioned batteries. It helped for our trucks to be left alone by those officers who bought the deeply discounted batteries. Employees were also allowed to buy 2 recon batteries a year for a very cheap price.

The practice of accepting all returns under warranty is a huge PITA for companies but that is what it takes to keep customers happy and stay in business.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2019, 05:37:15 PM »

That's how I see it.
Pep

Not true, mine has saved me aggravation and money for a very small investment of time and mostly spare parts I already had. I have brought back lawn and garden batteries which then lasted for 2 additional seasons, full size 12v batteries which receive intermittent use making it a poor candidate for a new battery, and even bringing back powertool batteries to a threshold where the smart charger could take over.

LMAO ............. reads like a service life to me. Battery powered tools an even bigger waste of time, money and space.

Like a dog chasing its tail, do a job, battery dies, run somewhere get a charged battery, install dead battery in charger, repeat, repeat, repeat. 
Corded:
Do a job, plug in the tool, job finished, unplug store tool .. the 3 step program.
  :D

Offline slip knot

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2019, 05:37:44 PM »
The local Interstate battery store has recon batteries for sale for @$40. I buy 2-3 a month from them to put in my equipment. they work as well as the new ones but only have a 90 day warranty.

Offline walrus

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2019, 06:52:07 AM »

LMAO ............. reads like a service life to me. Battery powered tools an even bigger waste of time, money and space.

Like a dog chasing its tail, do a job, battery dies, run somewhere get a charged battery, install dead battery in charger, repeat, repeat, repeat. 
Corded:
Do a job, plug in the tool, job finished, unplug store tool .. the 3 step program.
  :D
Spoken like someone who doesn't work in the field. Come do some sign work with me or work on a canopy.  Try dragging a cork out across a parking lot and guess who is going to trip and sue you. I don't have a corded tool in my truck. Drills, grinder, impact, sawzall, all battery.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2019, 07:02:28 AM »
Nope, worked in field service for 30 years, just not on a ladder & outside. In your case the bat power works, sort of. 
There is no denying the fact the tools quit consistently in the middle of a project. And the walk of shame must be taken.

Just the way it is
Pep

Offline walrus

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2019, 06:37:15 PM »
Nope, worked in field service for 30 years, just not on a ladder & outside. In your case the bat power works, sort of. 
There is no denying the fact the tools quit consistently in the middle of a project. And the walk of shame must be taken.

Just the way it is
Pep
The walk of shame. :D  Thats pretty dramatic. You probably should get into the 21st century and buy some Milwaukee Fuel stuff.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2019, 09:27:17 PM »
The walk of shame .;D  Always laugh saying that, so funny I just kill myself sometimes .

Do my share of it when tig welding .

I have one battery power tool Milwaukee drill, all I need.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 09:30:39 PM by pep »