Author Topic: Pawnie finds: 4-16-20  (Read 5973 times)

Offline bonneyman

Pawnie finds: 4-16-20
« on: April 16, 2020, 03:40:14 PM »
Just had to get out of the house today, so drove across town to a pawn shop that has alot of tools. I thought they'd probably not have much new since I last visited them about 3 weeks ago. But then figured maybe unemployed folks would pawn stuff for some cash.

Found a handful of goodies. A Proto flexible spinner handle in 3/8", a bent Wiha precision driver, along with a pair of zerk fitting tools. (Didn't know they made those in different sizes - I'm guessing the larger of the two is for diesel applications)? I think I have some dual bits that'll fit the 4-in-1 stubby handle, and the nail/cuticle tool should come in handy for moving small thermostat wires in tight spots.
The pick of the litter, though, is the NEST 2-in-1 screwdriver, made especially for the NEST Wi-Fi thermostats that everyone thinks are so great. Tried getting one two years ago - was told NLA. So it was beyond cool to find one on the wild for chump change. The whole lot was $5.

And I think I can sufficiently straighten the Wiha. Their drivers are really nice quality.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 03:48:59 PM by bonneyman »

Offline Matt_T

Re: Pawnie finds: 4-16-20
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 04:09:41 PM »
That Proto is unusual being 3/8" drive.

The smaller zerk tool is probably the 1/4"-28 you're familiar with, and the larger 1/8"-27 NPT. Fairly common for industrial applications. There are also metric zerks out there but I've never seen tools for them.

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 04:38:13 PM »
Nice finds George. I am surprised that the store was open, would have thought Pawnies would be under lockdown.

Now, just need to find a way to get that Proto away from you...

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 04:51:39 PM »
Some nice useful tools you grabbed and the Proto is sweet. :bravo_2:

Offline jeffmoss26

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 05:12:35 PM »
sweet!

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2020, 05:30:55 PM »
that nest tool looks a lot like the one i got with my ring camera.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2020, 05:32:27 PM »
Nice finds George. I am surprised that the store was open, would have thought Pawnies would be under lockdown.

I talked to one of my regular pawn shops and they said they were considered a "financial institution" and therefore essential. :017:

Just say the word and it's yours! I owe you for all those Proto drivers you gifted me awhile back.
It's inscribed with "FAC MAINT" as can be see in the pic but I'm pretty sure that could be filed away and the driver made to shine.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 05:37:59 PM by bonneyman »

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2020, 05:36:31 PM »
Great scores George - very interesting items.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2020, 05:44:03 PM »
That Proto is unusual being 3/8" drive.

The smaller zerk tool is probably the 1/4"-28 you're familiar with, and the larger 1/8"-27 NPT. Fairly common for industrial applications. There are also metric zerks out there but I've never seen tools for them.

I always thought zerk tools were imaginary, and figured mechanics just made their own by taking a deep socket and cutting a slot in the side for the nipple. (I never saw my dad use one or have one, and I figured if I ever ran into doing alot of grease jobs I'd make one). Imagine who felt like the jerk when he found out there WERE real store bought tools for grease jobs!  :-[

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2020, 05:50:59 PM »

I talked to one of my regular pawn shops and they said they were considered a "financial institution" and therefore essential. :017:

Just say the word and it's yours! I owe you for all those Proto drivers you gifted me awhile back.
It's inscribed with "FAC MAINT" as can be see in the pic but I'm pretty sure that could be filed away and the driver made to shine.
PM sent! And I think I have something for you around here.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2020, 06:33:56 PM »
Interesting haul.
What's so special about that Nest screwdriver?

And are you sure that cuticle pusher is not actually a sculpting tool ?

For the stubby 4-1 it just might work with the double sided bits Chapman makes, but I think you can only get them with the handles.
I believe they come in a two piece set, each stubby handle comes with a different double sided bit in it.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 06:37:28 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2020, 07:09:55 PM »
Interesting haul.
What's so special about that Nest screwdriver?

And are you sure that cuticle pusher is not actually a sculpting tool ?

For the stubby 4-1 it just might work with the double sided bits Chapman makes, but I think you can only get them with the handles.
I believe they come in a two piece set, each stubby handle comes with a different double sided bit in it.

The Nest driver was included in the early batches of the Wi-Fi thermostats as a promotional item. One side is a #2 phillips( for attaching the stat to the wall) and the other side is a really small standard driver (for attaching the internal t-stat wires). Both drivers that you need to install the stat at the ready. When the promotional inventory ran out they just listed them as NLA.

You could be right about the cuticle pusher. After cleaning it I realized I may have mis-named it.

Everything has been cleaned up and sorted. I have a whole tray of multi-bit driver parts (shafts, adaptors, bits, etc) and I'll try to find suitable pieces to fit this handle tomorrow.
You never know when you might come across a bare handle like the Enderes 6-in-1 I sent to you. You can get em cheap because "they're missing all the bits" - and then I have a bunch at home! :97:
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 07:17:07 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2020, 07:17:54 PM »

PM sent! And I think I have something for you around here.

Got your PM and it will go out tomorrow!

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2020, 07:27:03 PM »
Thank you sir!

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2020, 07:51:09 PM »
The tool with the gray handle is a modeling tool. Tandy Leather sold a line with different styles of ends. 60's/70's era were sort of a tan/orange color and the later ones were gray as your example. But they also turn up as art supply tools especially for modelling clay. Not sure who the OEM was on them.

TL has now gone with a different style handle.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.