Author Topic: Generator recomendation  (Read 5501 times)

Offline fatfillup

Re: Generator recomendation
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2020, 08:18:01 AM »
I would buy something bigger then you need to have some spare capacity, but that is just me

I would love to hear the story on why you hate Honda products, has to be a good one

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2020, 03:48:23 PM »
Well, I have had or been around three Honda products, and the two cars were, in my eyes, crap. On the car my wife had when I met her, front end collision and airbags did not go off. That right there is a "no go" in my eyes. Also, I bought a '79 Accord once. A bit of a junker with carb problems, I figured I could get a carb kit and take care of most of the issues. Nope. Sealed Carb. Which would cost more than I paid for the car. And it turns out a lot of the systems on the car are like that. Now, if you are the original owner, it's not too bad, as you get things fixed under warranty. Later owners? SOL. And this was super obvious when I worked in an auto electric shop. Anything for a Honda was more expensive as you had to replace and not repair. Wiring harnesses weren't sectional but had to be replaced as a whole unit when there was a problem. And that is a lot of labor, dealer or no.

I also owned a Honda motorcycle. And that committed the worst sin of all. It was boring.

Offline highland512

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2020, 04:13:50 PM »
Subscribed .
Here you go and a bonus you get a sweet ol Detroit diesel to boot.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/hvo/d/tacoma-30-kw-diesel-gen-set/7201669641.html.

I`d like to know how many kw`s a bloke needs need?

I think he wants to generate power........not 2 cycle noise  :D

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2020, 06:37:17 PM »
Noise?? nay birdsong!!
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline slip knot

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2020, 07:54:18 PM »
That two cycle noise is a gulf coast lullaby after a storm. I would love to have that old DD in the back yard. Free power to anyone with a cord when the power went out.  :clap: :clap:

Offline highland512

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2020, 07:55:52 PM »
Noise?? nay birdsong!!

I can hear it now,
her- "Honey, do you think the neighbors can hear the generator running?"
him-"huh??"

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2020, 09:01:24 PM »
That sounds like Beethoven  :cool2:
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2020, 10:15:05 PM »
That DD will make the close neighbors think a truck or bus is going to hit their house. I second a quiet generator as mine is so loud the sound reverberates and echoes off the buildings and advertises "hey listen to that as there is someone who has a generator and that means cold beer."

Offline slip knot

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2020, 11:07:49 PM »
But they wont be stealing the DD unless it was trailer mounted.

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2020, 11:08:44 AM »
Noise?? nay birdsong!!

While it might be birdsong to use, to my wife...

No.

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2020, 06:10:30 PM »
Well, here goes, I gave up and installed a Kohler 14,000 K whole house generator two years ago.  Prior to that I had a Northern 6,000 K unit that I plugged into a sub panel that allowed me to switch between loads.  The Kohler runs on propane and I have a 500 gallon tank.  The Northern ran on gas and that was always a problem and it was loud enough to bother me.  I am located at the end of a one mile line ( the only house) and lose power an average of 3 to 4 times a year.  The Kohler is totally automatic and runs for 20 minutes once a week and is not loud enough to hear in the house.  I'm old, and lets face it the older you get the less bother one wants.  Oh yes, the Kohler takes care of a 2200 sq. ft. house including a four ton heat pump and the heat strip along with everything else.  And yes, there are medical issues.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2020, 09:24:07 PM »
Propane would be a good choice. No degradation of fuel. That seems to be the devil in the smaller generators. Oil change interval is the other. real easy to forget how fast 50 hour change intervals happen when the machine runs for a week straight.

The Kohler unit has a much better rep than the Generac whole house sets.

Offline daves_not_here

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2020, 06:08:18 PM »
I don't know much about generators, but my buddy and his wife bought one of these yesterday; tri fuel, etc. It was $799 at the local Costco. Looks good to me.  :017:

https://www.costco.com/firman-7500w-running--9400w-peak-tri-fuel-generator.product.100648883.html
David

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2020, 07:56:41 PM »
Never seen or heard of a Firman. You do have to make a decision about which of the 3 fuels you will use as changing fuels probably requires re-jetting.

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2020, 07:51:10 PM »
I ended up buying the Ryobi 4000 watt model from HD. I just want something simple to cover the basics, and that should work fine.