Author Topic: Ever rebuild a pallet jack?  (Read 719 times)

Online oldnslo

Ever rebuild a pallet jack?
« on: July 24, 2023, 07:03:01 PM »
Do I need one? No. Could I use one? Kinda. I have a line a leaky one, and for the intended purpose I was going to put a lightweight welding project on it to wheel around and save me from firing up the front end loader. Really no need to use the jack portion, but I would want to rebuilt it.

Is it basically just like a bottle jack? Piston/ram puck/seal?

Any tips?

Offline jabberwoki

Re: Ever rebuild a pallet jack?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2023, 07:05:42 PM »
No but im going to learn from your mistakes.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline muddy

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2023, 08:41:14 PM »
Honestly the time you'd spend fixing one (trust me I'm cheap too) you could have a new one. We don't rebuild manual pallet jacks at work. By the time you get time and parts your at the price of a new one.

Yes there pretty much the same as a jack. So if you could get the seals out and want to match them up go for it.

Sent from my Twisted Mind Of The Mudman

Offline slip knot

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2023, 09:40:01 PM »
You should be able to get a kit for most brand name pallet jacks. Not much different than a standard bottle jack. A couple of Orings and a couple of teflon wipers.

https://www.hcrcnow.com/

Give these guys a shot. I get lots of jack parts from them.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2023, 09:43:50 PM by slip knot »

Online oldnslo

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2023, 10:20:11 PM »
Step 1, buy the jack. Done. It's a German Jungheinrich. For $20 I cant buy a set of wheels for rolling projects around on.

I'll drag it home tomorrow, and check the fluid level, but for now, I dont care if it lifts. The wheels are in great shape, paint is decent. I'm happy.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2023, 11:33:55 PM »
As others said, the hydraulics are Bout the same as a bottle jack. No clue how difficult the bottle will be to get out though.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Online oldnslo

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2023, 06:37:49 PM »
Step 2, dont stop looking, and find another one. Done. It's a BT and for just another $20 for this specimen (and it works fine), I am:

1. Up and running in no time at all
2. Have a project for those times I have less than 12 projects running concurrently
3. Quite pleased these are both 2.5 tonners

The YouTubes I have viewed, reveal even a 5th grader can rebuild these. While there tons (get it? humor?) of similarities between pallet and bottle jacks, these lack a top nut. That dang shaft just pulls out! :93:

Case closed. I may be oldnslo, but I am a happy camper at the same time!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2023, 08:34:40 AM »
Good job, man!

And getting it for $20?  Priceless!   :)

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2023, 09:19:37 AM »
I have a pallet jack that worked but leaked at the top seal.  Ordered a kit, had lots of orings and seals.  Replaced the top one only and solved my problem without getting an oil bath and making a mess and breaking a working jack :))

Have another that I need to play with that doesn't jack up and was just given a third that seems to works.

I need one, second will get used, third is excess at the moment :D

Online oldnslo

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2023, 11:42:47 PM »
Parts are easy to find (once you have the schematic with part numbers), then shop around on the 'net and let price be your guide.

In my case I didnt need the top wiper seal, the U cup disintegrated and was the cause of the external leak. 1 part. Done.

These things are dirt simple.