Author Topic: Snap-on K22W box  (Read 11135 times)

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Snap-on K22W box
« on: September 05, 2018, 06:30:59 PM »
Got this some years ago at Old Tool Swap in Culver City. K22W MechaniChest is the little sibling to the somewhat larger K23 and was made mid 30's to mid 40's and weighs 24 pounds. Depending on where in the country you lived it could cost as much as $8.95.

http://collectingsnapon.com/catalogs/catalogs.php?loggedin=0&catalogPage=391

I cleaned the dirt a little and lined the drawers in cork which was common at one time and this is just set in place no glue or adhesive. I keep the little tools in it and the pix were taken some time ago. I am embarrassed to say the box is completely full now and I am seeking a new home for the little tools. Top bay is Snap-on and Blue Point wrenches and now also ignition wrench sets.

Middle drawer is 5" waterpump style wrenches and is now pretty full.

Bottom drawer is 4" adjustables and now also out of control.

People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: Snap-on K22W box
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 09:54:31 PM »
Nice looking box, and the tools you've got in it make it that much nicer.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 10:06:40 PM »
Thanks. It is a nice box but what impresses me most is someone made their living out of that box and it's not very big. Contrast that with the wall o' tool boxes now.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline Cruiser808

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 11:34:11 PM »
You got some great boxes and tools to put them in Steve. Do you use them on the TR?

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 11:38:06 PM »
Thanks. It is a nice box but what impresses me most is someone made their living out of that box and it's not very big. Contrast that with the wall o' tool boxes now.
I'm sure he knew exactly what he needed for his trade, and of course these days you gotta have metric counterparts to everything.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 12:14:33 AM »
You got some great boxes and tools to put them in Steve. Do you use them on the TR?

I do sorta. I have a small tool roll I put together that includes the ignition wrenches - most of which are vintage Blue Point and small tools I need for the Spitfire. Given I consider emergency roadside repairs routine maintenance it's best to have everything with me.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2018, 12:17:32 AM »

I'm sure he knew exactly what he needed for his trade, and of course these days you gotta have metric counterparts to everything.

Likely there were no metrics or all metrics but there would have been a handful of wrenches, a few screwdrivers some random sockets. You could start a job and carry that box in and get to work.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2018, 07:40:01 AM »

Likely there were no metrics or all metrics but there would have been a handful of wrenches, a few screwdrivers some random sockets. You could start a job and carry that box in and get to work.

at 24 pounds empty i am sure it didn't take long to get past 50 lbs loaded and 75 or 100 may not be out of the question.

it took a real man to carry that in and out of his job every day.  :o
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline Midnitemack

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2018, 01:12:39 PM »

at 24 pounds empty i am sure it didn't take long to get past 50 lbs loaded and 75 or 100 may not be out of the question.

it took a real man to carry that in and out of his job every day.  :o
[/quote]

Back then you were able to carry it in loaded up....possibly not today with our "out of control" Health & Safety Workplace rules !

Nice Box and collection Steve !!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 01:14:54 PM by Midnitemack »

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2018, 01:15:02 PM »
Likely once it was put up on the bench it stayed there. I bet most of the time they never got locked either. Just in those days you could get a job and move your tools in the trunk of your car. The box would be heavy loaded. I can honestly say as it sits now I have to remove the drawers to move it.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2018, 03:28:56 PM »
Likely once it was put up on the bench it stayed there. I bet most of the time they never got locked either. Just in those days you could get a job and move your tools in the trunk of your car. The box would be heavy loaded. I can honestly say as it sits now I have to remove the drawers to move it.
I don't have nearly as much stuff in my Dayton / Waterloo and I definitely can't move it without taking the drawers out, it's a weighty box.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Elroy

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2019, 09:12:25 PM »

Bottom drawer is 4" adjustables and now also out of control.

Something tells Elroy you have an attraction problem to small crescent wrenches  ::)

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2019, 09:21:43 PM »

Something tells Elroy you have an attraction problem to small crescent wrenches  ::)

At least they're easy to store.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2019, 10:57:57 PM »
I love the stretched spring to hold your tools. I would also like to see a pic of the tiny torque wrench. ;D

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2019, 11:21:12 PM »
I love the stretched spring to hold your tools. I would also like to see a pic of the tiny torque wrench. ;D

The spring works pretty well. I may have have added a couple more to the collection.