Author Topic: Rekeying some House Locks  (Read 6671 times)

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Rekeying some House Locks
« on: January 22, 2020, 10:11:56 PM »
I decided to replace the locks in my house and wanted them keyed alike in groups using specific keys. This way I have control of the doors and who has access to what. The existing locks were all Kwikset and I know I'll get a lot of crap for this but I think Kwikset is garbage and offers little in the way of real security.

Around here rekeying a cylinder runs between 10-20 if you take the lock to a locksmith. I had enough I figured I could rekey them myself and save some money. In my case it cost me about 70 including the tools I bought for the project and the pin kit. I could have bought just the pins I needed but having the kit gives me the ability to make changes and I still saved 100-150 over a locksmith doing it. Plus this kit has master pins so I can master key the locks if I decide to go that way.

The pin kit. Genuine Schlage pins made by Lab (the company that makes pins for pretty much everyone). This kit is only Schlage depths so it is limited to Schlage and other manufacturers who use Schlage depths (which is probably about 1/2 the brands maybe more). I got all this on Amazon.

The chart shows the pin depths and master pin depths as well as which parts are which like springs and some of the more common bits that get lost or need serviced from time to time.

[/url]

The two tools I needed to buy - the tweezers which are special for lock work and the white piece which is the plug follower. There is one other thing I bought I'll show shortly. The tweezers are something you don't want to use rekeying as unless you're replacing the driver springs or drivers or removing master pins the plug follower should keep all that in place. I got it them as a just in case. The top piece is a Kwikset tool I already had and use it to remove the C clips on the knob cylinders (shown shortly).

The tweezers have a relief to hold the round drivers. It could be done with regular tweezers but it's not a pleasant task.

A lot of keys come with a number stamped on them. Sometimes, mostly small format wafer locks or car keys, it's a code that has to be looked up but most often it is the bitting. In this case the numbers are 43746. Staring at the bow (head) to the tip these are the depths .225, .210, .270, 225, 255 - the depths change in increments of .015. Schlage uses ten depths from 0 (uncut) to 9.

Notice the pins ride only in the cuts or low spots. When the key is correct the tops of the pins all line up with the top pf the plug.

The cylinder contains drivers and springs and may also have master pins. Master pins allow more than one key to operate the lock. The spring and driver on the right are standard Schlage and on the left is what is used in Schlage F cylinders. Each pin has a driver and spring.

When the right key is used the pins form a shear line with the top of the plug.

When the wrong key is used the pins don't line up and either protrude into the cylinder or are short and the driver protrudes into the plug. It doesn't take much to not work. 0.003 is enough to prevent key from turning. When a key is clicky or needs to be jiggled to work the pins are worn and the shear line is a little off.

To repin all the locks took about two hours and about 1/2 of that was taking the pix. I didn't time it but I think it took about five minutes a cylinder when not messing with the camera.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Re: Rekeying some House Locks
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 10:12:25 PM »
This is a double sided deadbolt but pretty much the same as a single sided one just two cylinders to do (and twice the cost if paying a locksmith).

The cylinders are held in with a single screw. It is possible to repin without removing it but I don't recommend it until you have a good feel for the process. Like most things it's easy to do the skill comes in when things go south and keeping the cylinder in just makes handling a bit harder.

Unfortunately this image is a little blurry. The ring unscrews and is pretty much the same on deadbolts and knob/lever cylinders except for the tail pieces. The one exception is F cylinders which are next. The kit includes replacement cap springs and pinsand they do get lost being pretty small. When putting the cap back on if it's too tight the key will be hard to turn or maybe won't turn at all and if too loose could make the key hard to pull out or even trap the key. Also make sure the pin is firmly engaged with one of the detents in the cap or it WILL come loose and usually the whole plug pulls out with pins and springs going in separate directions.

Another copy of this pic this time to show the plug follower in place holding the drivers and springs in. This is the probably the trickiest part just keep the follower tight against the plug and use one quick motion to push the plug out with the follower. Notice the cap spring, pin and cap along with the tailpiece - you need them all for things to work.

When pulling the plug you will need the key unless you shimmed it open. When replacing the plug you can put it together without the key in place but it's not a great idea - keep the key in the plug when reassembling. The reason is if there's a gap between the plug and follower and if the pins line up with the drives a driver can get stuck in one of the pin bores and then you will have a job to get things apart and fixed. Believe me it does happen - I have done it more times than I want to think about.

Also when pulling the key out if there is no cap or C clip back in place pinch the key out or you risk puling the plug and having drivers and springs run loose.

Once you have the plug out remove the old pins, insert the new key and put in the new pins. Makes sure to push them down and check they are the right depth. Then reassemble the plug and it really is the reverse procedure.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 10:12:46 PM »
The F knobs are in most ways similar to regular Schlage but the cylinder has some slight differences. The F knob is one piece regular knobs have a back cover that comes off to remove the cylinder the F series the cap is collapsible and removes from the bore. To remove the knob they are all the same (assuming Schlage or one that uses a similar setup). There is either a small tab as on this one or a round hole with a pin underneath. Turn the key 90* and depress the pin with a pin tool, paper clip, pick or similar. The knob will pull off. The key must be at 90 or the knob will not release.

The cap must be pushed down with a pick, small screwdriver or a paper clip or something and pushed through the spindle bore.

On the F series a C clip holds the plug in. This pic it has already been removed on a regular cylinder it's like the deadbolt cylinders. This pic shows the oval shape of the end of the plg. When in locked position (as in the pic) the wide part blocks the pin from being pushed in to release the know. When turned 90* the small diameter allows the release to be fully pushed to release the knob. In a regular cylinder this is done with the tailpiece.

[/url]

This pic shows the problem I had. The end of the plug has two low spots - one is the groove for the C clip and the other is back of the plug. I don't have the special follower so I used a shim to bridge the low spots or the drivers would have gotten wedged in there and then I'd have a job to take it all apart and reinstall the springs and drivers.

Fortunately there was an inexpensive solution. Shims are used to open a cylinder with no key (the cylinder has to be out of the lock it's not a way to defeat a lock) and you need an uncut key but it is usually faster than picking one open if you have no key. In this case the shim is used to bridge the gaps in the plugs.

The shim was used and I was able to finish my work in short order.

These F series pin the same way as a regular cylinder and use the same depths and pins.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 10:50:38 PM »
I'm glad you have the skillset and patience to do that as I sure don't. Thanks for the lesson.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 12:26:34 AM »
Thanks! I have to confess I do kind of like doing fiddly stuff.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 07:20:00 AM »
Very cool tutorial, and thanks for the great pics - I learned something.

Offline ken w.

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2020, 08:15:45 AM »
When I was younger I had a small lock shop with a friend of mine. We mostly cut keys and re-keyed lock sets.  We had a small Photomat building in a plaza. It was more like a shed. We did a ton of re-keys. Most folks can't even remove a door knob. Nice job.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2020, 08:37:38 AM »
Yes Jafe, thanks for the lesson.  Excellent write up

Offline ken w.

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2020, 09:16:33 AM »
If you want to prevent yourself from saying bad words , don't drop that box of pins. Been down that road.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2020, 09:45:59 AM »
Thanks guys.

ken w was that kiosk lucrative?

If you want to prevent yourself from saying bad words , don't drop that box of pins. Been down that road.

That would be an expensive drop. This set comes with a shipping insert that fits between the lid and bottom with a little indent for each of the pockets I won't move the box without closing the lid with the insert in place. Still, no doubt dropping the box would pop the latch and all those pins would spill out.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM »
Brings back good memories of working at Ace.

ALOT of people brought in locks without keys.  :-[  I got pretty good at using those shims.

Offline highland512

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2020, 10:35:57 AM »
After watching some youtubes from this guy I have to agree, kwikset sucks.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm9K6rby98W8JigLoZOh6FQ

Whats the cost of the lab kit?

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2020, 10:55:36 AM »
There is a feel for the shims.

People loose keys. I try to organize things so I have a spare well marked somewhere safe and only use that to make copies or for emergency use. That way I always have a good key and the copies work right. I've lost too many keys and found too many keys I had no idea where they went to do any different.

highland - the kit was about 50.

Online stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2020, 12:21:00 PM »
Well done, thanks for the very informative post.

I too think Kwikset is junk or at best a "contractor grade" lock set.

When I bought my house over 20 years ago I replaced all the exterior lock sets with Schlage and they have never given me any problems.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline ken w.

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2020, 04:16:35 PM »
J.A.F.E. , We made out well. I worked a full time job and worked from 5:00 - 9:00 pm. My partner worked 9:00 am - 5:00 - 5:00 pm. We worked it until the plaza tore it down and put up a restaurant in it's place. The advantage we had was everyone had to walk past us to go from the plaza to the bus stop 30 yards from us. We did a buy 2 keys get one free deal. The real money is with re - key and all the junk on the walls - key fobs , padlocks , etc.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2020, 05:29:24 PM »
Thanks stokester.

Kwikset is not something I am comfortable with guarding my wife or my stuff.

ken w thank you. I figured it was probably a good deal. Having a partner was likely a big advantage - having to find an employee who is relaible and trustworthy might be a challenge.

Offline jeffmoss26

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2020, 06:56:29 PM »
great writeup - I do this all day, every day :)
lots of different brands of locks, an entire shelf full of pin kits and automotive wafer kits. Always an adventure!

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2020, 10:38:39 PM »
Schlage were always better locks. I still remember the basics of rekeying a lock, but it has been over 35 years since I put those skills to use at the old hdw store.

I enjoyed the informative tutorial on the subject greatly!
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2020, 07:18:26 PM »
Thanks for the comments.

Schlage does make a pretty good lock. Marks, Arrow, Cal Royal and others are pretty good as well and usually have options to use the Schlage C and some times other Schlage key blanks and use the Schlage pinning system.

Just some trivia the modern pinning system as used today was invented by Linus Yale of the Yale Lock company in the 1860's. He was inspired by other pin systems some dating back to ancient Egypt.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2020, 10:23:29 PM »
Interesting stuff.  Above my skill set however.

I just bought four keyed alike padlocks to reduce my jailer's keyring some.  All three bikes and the shoppette on one key.  I never really know which bike comes out any given weekend but if all the chains have the same lock and key life is simple.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2020, 11:49:51 AM »
Now that I think about it I have never bought any door locks except for Schlage. I like American padlocks which can be rekeyed alike.

When I opened the reply box I was shocked by the number of smileys we suddenly have available. :bravo_2:

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2020, 12:48:08 PM »
Brian, welcome back!!  Haven't seen you post in a long time.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2020, 06:10:50 PM »
... I like American padlocks which can be rekeyed alike. ...

American, Abus, there's a whole bunch that can be keyed alike and some can even take a regular key so they can be keyed to your house key.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2020, 11:15:02 PM »
... I like American padlocks which can be rekeyed alike. ...

American, Abus, there's a whole bunch that can be keyed alike and some can even take a regular key so they can be keyed to your house key.

I also have some Almont padlocks which can be rekeyed with Schlage keys to match the house keys.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2020, 11:55:40 PM »
Almont was the first to make a lock able to use a Schlage, Kwikset and several other key blanks as far as I know. I don't think the company is around anymore though but the locks can still be found.

For sure Abus has some locks that can use some of the common house key blanks - I have some using a Schlage SC9 (6 pin version of the SC4 - the standard C). Not sue if American has  locks that will take the usual keys but they are excellent padlocks - some of the best available.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2020, 12:05:25 AM »
In Mexico the brand Phillips is the big name and a few lessor brands of the same borg.  HD carries Master Lock and all the usual suspects but price keeps them there.

I got a pack of four Fanal mid grade which is the Mex made stuff yet.  Any cheaper is Asian import and hard to get key blanks.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2020, 12:12:21 AM »
The key blanks can be the killer. Some locks you can't get at all or they are stupid expensive. A $3 padloick with key blanks costing 6 or 8.

Not familiar with Philips locks or Fanal but looking them up it seems Philips will be entering the US market this year.

Offline jeffmoss26

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2020, 07:20:56 PM »
the Almont padlocks are NOT fun to work on!!

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2020, 08:36:04 PM »
If you have the right tools they suck and about as frustrating as frustrating gets.

A guy I used to work with had 12 of them with no keys and traded me five in exchange for rekeying his. I knew a guy who had the tools and was willing to lend them to me. Took me about a day so it wasn't the best trade in history. But I did get it down to about 45 minutes a lock by the end. I still have the locks.

For those who have never seen them - these are tools you need plus a modified key to get the plug out.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2020, 09:07:33 PM »
We use Best lock systems at work, A tiered key system. the lower the number the fewer locks it opens. mine opens everything except the managers office. But damn they're pricy.

I use the Homey depot kwiksets that are re-keyable in my rentals. the law says I have to rekey between tenants. saves me a lot of money by using the rekeyables.

Locks just keep the honest people out. Thieves aren't slowed down much regardless of the locks. A neighbor around the corner had his front door kicked in and they grabbed the big screen TV off the wall and out the door, 30 seconds tops. Most thieves around here follow the smash and grab routine. Some of my friends don't even lock their cars anymore.

Offline jeffmoss26

« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2020, 07:05:22 PM »
I work on Best-style (interchangeable core) locks daily. Factory original keys and cores are not cheap!