Author Topic: Rekeying some House Locks  (Read 6555 times)

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Re: Rekeying some House Locks
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2020, 05:29:24 PM »
Thanks stokester.

Kwikset is not something I am comfortable with guarding my wife or my stuff.

ken w thank you. I figured it was probably a good deal. Having a partner was likely a big advantage - having to find an employee who is relaible and trustworthy might be a challenge.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline jeffmoss26

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2020, 06:56:29 PM »
great writeup - I do this all day, every day :)
lots of different brands of locks, an entire shelf full of pin kits and automotive wafer kits. Always an adventure!

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2020, 10:38:39 PM »
Schlage were always better locks. I still remember the basics of rekeying a lock, but it has been over 35 years since I put those skills to use at the old hdw store.

I enjoyed the informative tutorial on the subject greatly!
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2020, 07:18:26 PM »
Thanks for the comments.

Schlage does make a pretty good lock. Marks, Arrow, Cal Royal and others are pretty good as well and usually have options to use the Schlage C and some times other Schlage key blanks and use the Schlage pinning system.

Just some trivia the modern pinning system as used today was invented by Linus Yale of the Yale Lock company in the 1860's. He was inspired by other pin systems some dating back to ancient Egypt.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2020, 10:23:29 PM »
Interesting stuff.  Above my skill set however.

I just bought four keyed alike padlocks to reduce my jailer's keyring some.  All three bikes and the shoppette on one key.  I never really know which bike comes out any given weekend but if all the chains have the same lock and key life is simple.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2020, 11:49:51 AM »
Now that I think about it I have never bought any door locks except for Schlage. I like American padlocks which can be rekeyed alike.

When I opened the reply box I was shocked by the number of smileys we suddenly have available. :bravo_2:

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2020, 12:48:08 PM »
Brian, welcome back!!  Haven't seen you post in a long time.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2020, 06:10:50 PM »
... I like American padlocks which can be rekeyed alike. ...

American, Abus, there's a whole bunch that can be keyed alike and some can even take a regular key so they can be keyed to your house key.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2020, 11:15:02 PM »
... I like American padlocks which can be rekeyed alike. ...

American, Abus, there's a whole bunch that can be keyed alike and some can even take a regular key so they can be keyed to your house key.

I also have some Almont padlocks which can be rekeyed with Schlage keys to match the house keys.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2020, 11:55:40 PM »
Almont was the first to make a lock able to use a Schlage, Kwikset and several other key blanks as far as I know. I don't think the company is around anymore though but the locks can still be found.

For sure Abus has some locks that can use some of the common house key blanks - I have some using a Schlage SC9 (6 pin version of the SC4 - the standard C). Not sue if American has  locks that will take the usual keys but they are excellent padlocks - some of the best available.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2020, 12:05:25 AM »
In Mexico the brand Phillips is the big name and a few lessor brands of the same borg.  HD carries Master Lock and all the usual suspects but price keeps them there.

I got a pack of four Fanal mid grade which is the Mex made stuff yet.  Any cheaper is Asian import and hard to get key blanks.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2020, 12:12:21 AM »
The key blanks can be the killer. Some locks you can't get at all or they are stupid expensive. A $3 padloick with key blanks costing 6 or 8.

Not familiar with Philips locks or Fanal but looking them up it seems Philips will be entering the US market this year.

Offline jeffmoss26

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2020, 07:20:56 PM »
the Almont padlocks are NOT fun to work on!!

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2020, 08:36:04 PM »
If you have the right tools they suck and about as frustrating as frustrating gets.

A guy I used to work with had 12 of them with no keys and traded me five in exchange for rekeying his. I knew a guy who had the tools and was willing to lend them to me. Took me about a day so it wasn't the best trade in history. But I did get it down to about 45 minutes a lock by the end. I still have the locks.

For those who have never seen them - these are tools you need plus a modified key to get the plug out.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2020, 09:07:33 PM »
We use Best lock systems at work, A tiered key system. the lower the number the fewer locks it opens. mine opens everything except the managers office. But damn they're pricy.

I use the Homey depot kwiksets that are re-keyable in my rentals. the law says I have to rekey between tenants. saves me a lot of money by using the rekeyables.

Locks just keep the honest people out. Thieves aren't slowed down much regardless of the locks. A neighbor around the corner had his front door kicked in and they grabbed the big screen TV off the wall and out the door, 30 seconds tops. Most thieves around here follow the smash and grab routine. Some of my friends don't even lock their cars anymore.