Author Topic: Any cigar smokers on the GG?  (Read 142363 times)

Offline muddy

Re: Any cigar smokers on the GG?
« Reply #150 on: January 20, 2020, 09:08:47 PM »
Another of A.J. Fernandez's beautiful work!

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Didn't know A.J. was the blender for that cigar. Makes sense though -- A.J. cigars are usually spicy; that's why I like his cigars.
I lied!!!

My brain read Ave Maria instead if AVO.

AVO are their own and not done by AJ. However AVO are top notch cigars!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #151 on: January 23, 2020, 03:25:23 PM »
Was a pleasant 50F and sunny on the porch, and with the heater on it made for some good cigar time - smoked a nice CLE Corojo Corona size cigar - mild/medium and a sweet woody flavor. Great taste -

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #152 on: January 24, 2020, 12:30:44 PM »
Today’s offering Spirit of Cuba by Alec Bradley - fantastic sweet smoke. Ironically I smoked a few early on and they were “so-so”, but put a few months of aging and seasoning on them, and the result is amazing.

Offline muddy

« Reply #153 on: January 24, 2020, 09:09:59 PM »
Very nice Ray.

Tonight I am smoking Virginia Cream with a cherry wheat.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #154 on: January 24, 2020, 09:13:13 PM »
Excellent -- like pipes, but never got the hang of them that much because they were often quite hard to keep lit. Personal problem I know -- LOL

Have a good and relaxing weekend Tim.

Offline muddy

« Reply #155 on: January 24, 2020, 11:06:42 PM »
Excellent -- like pipes, but never got the hang of them that much because they were often quite hard to keep lit. Personal problem I know -- LOL

Have a good and relaxing weekend Tim.
As infrequently as I smoke one I have trouble with them as well. Technique changes with pipe and tobacco.

Enjoy your weekend as well!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #156 on: January 27, 2020, 11:48:15 AM »
Had a great weekend with some friends visiting - smoked a Tatuaje Reserva for the first time. What a cigar - same blend master as the L’Atelier - Pete Johnson

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #157 on: January 27, 2020, 11:51:53 AM »
Had a great lunch with my wife and then she went shopping - perfect time for a Blanco Nine. It’s called “Nine” because Dave Blanco need nine tries to get this cigar blend perfect. He did a masterful job. All Blanco cigars are excellent in my book.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Any cigar smokers on the GG?
« Reply #158 on: January 29, 2020, 12:49:07 PM »
One more Spirit of Cuba Corojo tabacco by Alec Bradley review. This is a budget cigar- I call it my “dog walkin’” cigar, but it has good flavor and a sweet Tabacco note. Just goes to prove that a good cigar shouldn’t cost a fortune. This Belicoso sized cigar is a great value.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 12:59:58 PM by goodfellow »

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #159 on: January 29, 2020, 02:53:22 PM »
I have been following the thread with interest even though I do not smoke. One question I have though is you often refer to size with names like Belicoso or Corona. What do these names refer to?
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #160 on: January 29, 2020, 03:31:52 PM »
Good question Steve. There is a specific nomenclature when referring to a cigar’s size and length. Even shape has a set of rules. Since modern cigars have their origin in Cuba, the old-time factories set up rules to identify one cigar from another. Ring gauge measures thickness in 64th of an inch, and length is measured in inches. Hence a cigar of about 42-44 gauge thickness and 5-1/2” length is called a Corona. A smaller Petit Corona would measure about 40-42 gauge and 4-1/2” long. A popular Robusto cigar (note the name has nothing to do with flavor or strength) would indicate a cigar of about 48-52 gauge and a length of 5-1/2”

The nomenclature is tradition in Cuba and they have many sizes and shapes that are associated with precise names - such as Palmitas - 32 ga. 4” length or Vegueros - 36 ga. 5” length. Point is the Cubans have many shapes and sizes - (aka Vitolas) that you can’t find in the popular Nicaraguan, Dominican or other Central/South/North American brands.

Also - straight cylindrical cigars are identified as Parejo class cigars, while odd shapes cigars are in the Figurado class.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 03:36:13 PM by goodfellow »

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #161 on: January 29, 2020, 05:53:17 PM »
Wow, you need to know your stuff when ordering a cigar. I would sound like an idiot if I walked into a cigar shop and asked to buy some. :017:

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #162 on: January 29, 2020, 07:25:30 PM »
Thank you Ray. Quite a lot to wrap your head around. It sounds as complicated as wine.

Interesting the measurements are in inches - Cuba adopted the metric system sometime around the 1850's or 1860's.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #163 on: January 30, 2020, 01:49:58 PM »
Jaime Garcia from My Father cigar company in Torpedo size  - one smooth smoke. Lots of chocolate and coffee notes

Offline muddy

« Reply #164 on: January 30, 2020, 08:53:55 PM »
Wow, you need to know your stuff when ordering a cigar. I would sound like an idiot if I walked into a cigar shop and asked to buy some. :017:
First time I walked into a cigar shop I was over whelmed. However any any shop worth it's tobacco will be more then willing to help the newbie.