Author Topic: One for Muddy, a hydraulic strip down/build fixture  (Read 5967 times)

Offline strik9

• X
Re: One for Muddy, a hydraulic strip down/build fixture
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2020, 04:56:17 PM »
It was my job to tear it down this morn.    The tube isn't ruined this time but the othet bits need work.

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2020, 10:39:36 PM »
I wish round gland nuts weren't a thing. Square, hex, or bolted on like Cat is so much nicer than putting a custom knurl on them with a pipe wrench. The little pin spanner holes are a joke too. It's so easy to break a 1/4 pin off when you;re hanging on the end of a 6ft cheater.

Do you use an air hammer with a pointy bit to peen the barrel before you unscrew the gland? That's the best trick I ever learned for making disassembly a snap. Just peen a row of dots going back the thread length parallel to the bore. Do sever rows around the circumference. They stretch the barrel diameter ever so slightly and loosen the threads up.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2020, 11:08:59 PM »
We have a rather large shop made gland nut wrench for Cat stuff.  I posted it here a while back.  Its monster alone but with the 8' pipe nothing has resisted yet.  Case pinned glands get the 48" pipe wrench or a pin wrench.  No novelty there.  My boss would not allow air hammers on a hydraulic.  No hint of marking them up if possible.  We see near no bolted versions anymore but have a bunch we could sell.  The old machines that used them all got scrapped.

There is a big scrap yard here that buys dead yellow machines to sceap them, they save engines and hydraulic crap but pretty much cut up all the rest fast.  We have 3 dead ones for parts and another shop about six.  We could scrap 90% of what remains and never lose a parts sale.  All the trans and good hydraulic crap is sold long ago, the cummins sold a week ago making the 580K fairly worthless now.

Phil, I lost two gallons of oil today into the dirt.  Our shop floor is richer than oil sands in petroleum.  Its too gard to catch it all and worse when the tray falls.  Its a lousy  and messy job working this junk.  We are all pigs if we do it at all. 
A machine running with a small leak all day will blow a few gallons back to mother earth.  And most machines do leak.

Just that nobody talks about it really.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2020, 11:45:20 PM »
We have a rather large shop made gland nut wrench for Cat stuff.  I posted it here a while back.  Its monster alone but with the 8' pipe nothing has resisted yet.  Case pinned glands get the 48" pipe wrench or a pin wrench.  No novelty there.  My boss would not allow air hammers on a hydraulic.  No hint of marking them up if possible.  We see near no bolted versions anymore but have a bunch we could sell.  The old machines that used them all got scrapped.

There is a big scrap yard here that buys dead yellow machines to sceap them, they save engines and hydraulic crap but pretty much cut up all the rest fast.  We have 3 dead ones for parts and another shop about six.  We could scrap 90% of what remains and never lose a parts sale.  All the trans and good hydraulic crap is sold long ago, the cummins sold a week ago making the 580K fairly worthless now.

Phil, I lost two gallons of oil today into the dirt.  Our shop floor is richer than oil sands in petroleum.  Its too gard to catch it all and worse when the tray falls.  Its a lousy  and messy job working this junk.  We are all pigs if we do it at all. 
A machine running with a small leak all day will blow a few gallons back to mother earth.  And most machines do leak.

Just that nobody talks about it really.

I'll talk. My MF just started leaking from the ram that adjusts the angle of the box scraper. I don't use the side shift on the forklift as that cylinder will puke some oil if I do. Other than that no leaks. :lol_hitting:

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2020, 09:00:00 AM »
All my forklifts over the years have leaked a little.  Never repaired any of them as the leaks weren't bad.  Did replace a seal in my pallet jack as it was leaking badly.

Sooner or later they will all leak :38:

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2020, 10:33:57 AM »
All my forklifts over the years have leaked a little.  Never repaired any of them as the leaks weren't bad.  Did replace a seal in my pallet jack as it was leaking badly.

I forgot about my leaking pallet jack. That is another one on the to do list. :-[

Offline muddy

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2020, 06:42:50 PM »

I know a guy who works on forklifts.....and likes tools

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline muddy

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2020, 06:45:16 PM »
I go around the barrel where the gland is and smack all the way around with a heavy hammer. Often the only way to get the gland loose

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2020, 09:33:17 PM »
I go around the barrel where the gland is and smack all the way around with a heavy hammer. Often the only way to get the gland loose

Not the only way.  We get longer pipes and more apes to hang on it.  One time we hung a road grader on the end of 15' of pipe  and got the front wheels off the ground before the nut let loose.
That was spectacular coming down.