Author Topic: Vintage Photo Of The Day  (Read 277847 times)

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
Re: Vintage Photo Of The Day
« Reply #240 on: January 21, 2019, 10:35:17 PM »
boop/bop/beep

Offline muddy

« Reply #241 on: January 23, 2019, 07:29:12 PM »

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #242 on: January 24, 2019, 07:57:47 AM »
Check out the last puller, no helmet or fire suit :-\

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #243 on: January 24, 2019, 10:14:35 AM »
Check out the last puller, no helmet or fire suit :-\

I don't think you could get away with that anymore. No roll cage either.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #244 on: January 24, 2019, 12:25:20 PM »
The Golden Gate Bridge, c. 1936.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #245 on: January 29, 2019, 12:07:26 AM »
Pictured here in 1975 is the Terex 33-19 Titan prototype haul truck in action. Planned in the late 1960’s and built in the London, Ontario, General Motors plant, this 350-ton-capacity unit rolled out of the factory in June 1974.

This diesel-electric drive rear dump hauler was powered by a 16-cylinder EMD locomotive engine rated at some 2,475 kW (3,300 hp) which in turn drove an alternator supplying rectified current to the four drive motors located in the rear axle housing.
Initially leased to Kaiser Steel Corporation, the Titan went into service for three years at their Eagle Mountain iron ore operation in California. In 1978, it was relocated to their large-scale coal mining operation in the Kootenay region of British Columbia where it remained in service until 1991.

By 1993 the Titan was in danger of being scrapped. Due to the generosity of Elkview Coal Corporation and local citizen volunteers proud of their coal mining heritage, it was disassembled and moved to its current display location on Highway 3 in Sparwood, B.C.

Weighing in at 260 tons empty, 20 metres (66 feet) in length and over 7.6 metres (25 feet) wide, it was not an easy task. When you’re heading by, it’s well worth the stop to see this massive, one-of-a-kind Canadian built hauler; thanks to those who had the foresight to preserve it.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #246 on: January 29, 2019, 06:53:16 AM »
.....so the Terex Titan is basically a diesel electric locomotive with large wheels and tires?

Offline Rural53

« Reply #247 on: January 30, 2019, 02:05:26 AM »
.....so the Terex Titan is basically a diesel electric locomotive with large wheels and tires?

Yeap. When you get that big diesel-electric is more efficient/easier to build than diesel-mechanical. Letourneau build a huge range of diesel/electric and petrol/electric earthmoving equipment.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #248 on: January 30, 2019, 08:23:47 AM »
I showed the tractor pull pics to my neighbor who pulls.  He said the theory behind the tall header tubes with smaller connector tubes connecting them was to create a "venturi" to help suck the exhaust out of the next cylinder faster.  One cylinder helping the next.

On the pic of the 3 engine tractor with the tires squatted down, he said they ran them with no valve core in the stem.  The side walls were so stiff, that was the only way to get them to squat and hook.  There were likely no special pulling tires available then.

I also noticed the tall lugs on the tires.  They purposely have them cut down now and at a bit of an angle to get more rubber contact on the track.  He had a new set of tires this year and sent them out to be shaved.  On several spots, I notice you could see the cord of the tire where it had been shaved and he was fine with that.

Offline muddy

« Reply #249 on: January 30, 2019, 08:52:45 PM »
I showed the tractor pull pics to my neighbor who pulls.  He said the theory behind the tall header tubes with smaller connector tubes connecting them was to create a "venturi" to help suck the exhaust out of the next cylinder faster.  One cylinder helping the next.

On the pic of the 3 engine tractor with the tires squatted down, he said they ran them with no valve core in the stem.  The side walls were so stiff, that was the only way to get them to squat and hook.  There were likely no special pulling tires available then.

I also noticed the tall lugs on the tires.  They purposely have them cut down now and at a bit of an angle to get more rubber contact on the track.  He had a new set of tires this year and sent them out to be shaved.  On several spots, I notice you could see the cord of the tire where it had been shaved and he was fine with that.
Look at you learning!

When my cousins were pulling, they made there first set of cut tires by themselves. They heated a very sharp cheifs knife with a torch and would slice the top of the bars. It took some work Craig almost gutted himself when the knife slipped one time.

Now a days as with everything else it's done with machines in half the time....

Offline muddy

« Reply #250 on: January 30, 2019, 09:15:17 PM »

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #251 on: January 30, 2019, 10:42:39 PM »
Hell man #2
I wonder how he does a transition? Tree climbers are weird.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #252 on: January 30, 2019, 10:47:27 PM »
Now now...that's how I earnt a living for a long time. 
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

lostmind

« Reply #253 on: January 31, 2019, 07:59:00 AM »

Swap Meet ?

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #254 on: January 31, 2019, 08:50:52 AM »
I'm thinking more along the lines of a foundry showing their products.