Author Topic: Vintage Photo Of The Day  (Read 277784 times)

Offline Midnitemack

Vintage Photo Of The Day
« Reply #885 on: August 28, 2021, 12:09:21 AM »
ON THIS DAY

54 years ago today, Burt Munro set a land speed record in the under 1000cc class at Bonneville, bringing New Zealand to the centre of the motoring world.

Munro’s record run of 295.453kph still stands to this day.

Anyone looking for a good movie, if you haven’t seen “The Worlds Fastest Indian” , it’s definitely worth watching, with Anthony Hopkins cast as Burt Munro …..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 12:12:05 AM by Midnitemack »

Offline john k

Re: Vintage Photo Of The Day
« Reply #886 on: August 28, 2021, 06:44:53 AM »
The hot rod with the owner in the leather jacket, has a modified Ford flathead.  I feel those are Ardun heads, engineered by Zora Arkus Duntov, man later to work on the Chevy V8, with the Duntov cam.  Turned the Ford into a overhead valve Hemi engine.  Developed to boost the HP of Ford truck engines and cooling,  then hot rodders found them.   Believe the leather wearing owner is Ed Iskendrian, builder of the Isky camshafts, famous with hot rodders.  The photo of the 64 Chevy engines is nice,  I recall a sweeter time when all chevy engines were Orange.  The initial "Z",  from Zora, was later used on the Z-28 Camaro, also because of John Z. Delorean, a GM Vice president at the time.  Before he built the stainless steel car. Dang, did more searching, those cyl heads were Iskendrians own,  the car still exists.  Did find more info on the Ardun heads.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 07:40:21 AM by john k »

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #887 on: August 28, 2021, 09:17:37 AM »
The hot rod with the owner in the leather jacket, has a modified Ford flathead.  I feel those are Ardun heads, engineered by Zora Arkus Duntov, man later to work on the Chevy V8, with the Duntov cam.  Turned the Ford into a overhead valve Hemi engine.  Developed to boost the HP of Ford truck engines and cooling,  then hot rodders found them.   Believe the leather wearing owner is Ed Iskendrian, builder of the Isky camshafts, famous with hot rodders.  The photo of the 64 Chevy engines is nice,  I recall a sweeter time when all chevy engines were Orange.  The initial "Z",  from Zora, was later used on the Z-28 Camaro, also because of John Z. Delorean, a GM Vice president at the time.  Before he built the stainless steel car. Dang, did more searching, those cyl heads were Iskendrians own,  the car still exists.  Did find more info on the Ardun heads.

Great info John, thanks. Didn't even pay attention to the heads, but do know Zora and his brother's history in developing the heads. Even today, there is a huge demand for Ardun (s/f Arkus Duntov) reproduction heads. I've also never seen the Iskenderian heads on a hot before  -- great info. The pics must be immediately post WWII because all the pics I've ever seen of Ed were in his later years with his typical hat and cigars.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #888 on: August 28, 2021, 10:02:05 AM »
ON THIS DAY

54 years ago today, Burt Munro set a land speed record in the under 1000cc class at Bonneville, bringing New Zealand to the centre of the motoring world.

Munro’s record run of 295.453kph still stands to this day.

Seen the movie, and own it! That was a man happy just puttering away in his shop all day.

What a life! :)

Offline muddy

« Reply #889 on: August 30, 2021, 07:20:30 PM »

spanish boy names 2018

Sent from the twisted mind of the mudman

Offline Rural53

« Reply #890 on: August 31, 2021, 06:25:54 AM »
My Mother and her little sister a long time ago. It would have been my Mother's birthday yesterday. It was my aunt's birthday today (at five my Mother was impressed that she got a little sister for her birthday, even if she was a day late). My aunt lives in Fiji so I rang and talked to her for a while this afternoon.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 06:28:17 AM by Rural53 »

Offline muddy

« Reply #891 on: September 02, 2021, 06:14:54 AM »
Skiway Bus ski tram on Mt. Hood, Oregon 1951, using repurposed city buses and driven by on board diesel engine power utilizing a series of pullies.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #892 on: September 02, 2021, 07:26:38 AM »
Now that is cool, sketchy but cool.

Or should that be that's sketchy, cool but sketchy! 

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #893 on: September 02, 2021, 08:55:55 AM »
Rube Goldberg design that?

Offline muddy

« Reply #894 on: September 02, 2021, 06:00:48 PM »
Now that is cool, sketchy but cool.

Or should that be that's sketchy, cool but sketchy!
Either way I'd be hesitant to step in board

Offline muddy

« Reply #895 on: September 02, 2021, 07:30:28 PM »

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #896 on: September 02, 2021, 08:07:45 PM »
The Pan Am Curtiss C-46 Commando that the cars are being loaded into was bought war surplus by PAA in 1946. Pan Am used them for freight mainly to the Caribbean and South America. The derelict airplane is intact and is owned by Charles Nichols and is sitting in the storage yard at Yanks Air Museum at Chino Airport in Calif.

Offline muddy

« Reply #897 on: September 03, 2021, 08:58:26 PM »

how to capture screen

Offline Rural53

« Reply #898 on: September 04, 2021, 05:21:17 AM »
New Zealand built Price 16-wheeler. The 16-wheeler was a copy of several designs, the concept coming from the earlier Johnston 16-wheeler but using skew bevel gears based on the Climax A. Four 16-wheelers were constructed by A&G Price Ltd in Thames, the first one in 1912 and they lasted in service until 1951.
Interesting no big driver wheels. Would think it would need major gearing to get anywhere with speed.

It is a logging locomotive designed to haul heavy loads up steep inclines, around tight bends on temporary railway lines to extract log out of the forest. They probably never ran more than 5 to 7 miles an hour. Lots of companies in the US built geared locomotives for the logging industry.

Below
1. Price 16 drawing
2. Climax A
3. Later Climax with the more familiar inclined cylinders

Offline Rural53

« Reply #899 on: September 04, 2021, 05:44:59 AM »
4. Hieslier with the cylinders inclined to directly drive the main drive shaft
5. Shay with offset boiler and vertical cylinders
6. Logging bridge. If you search Kinsey logging photos you will find lots of period photos taken by the Kinsey brothers