Author Topic: Vintage Photo Of The Day  (Read 277824 times)

Online muddy

Re: Vintage Photo Of The Day
« Reply #1035 on: January 24, 2022, 08:23:08 PM »

better betta

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1036 on: January 24, 2022, 08:59:07 PM »
You guys wanna feel old? I don't think I've ever seen a working Amoco in my life ...

They're still around Tim. In fact there's one in the next town over from where i live. I filled up there just last week. That said, it's not the "old" American Oil, but rather a BP brand subsidiary. Still, it does my heart good to see the old Red/White/Blue flaming oval again.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1037 on: January 24, 2022, 09:04:24 PM »
Looking at those Sinclair station pics reminds of a GJ thread. Wasn't there a guy over there who bought an old Sinclair building and totally restored it to its former glory? He was considered a hero in that town because so many people had such fond memories of that station. IIRC They even performed weddings in the newly restored building.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 09:06:42 PM by goodfellow »

Online muddy

« Reply #1038 on: January 31, 2022, 07:06:50 PM »
Looking at those Sinclair station pics reminds of a GJ thread. Wasn't there a guy over there who bought an old Sinclair building and totally restored it to its former glory? He was considered a hero in that town because so many people had such fond memories of that station. IIRC They even performed weddings in the newly restored building.
I think I remember that. Did an excellent job.

Found it for those that haven't seen or don't remember it.

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/threads/1935-gas-station-resurrection.337182/

Online muddy

« Reply #1039 on: January 31, 2022, 07:08:06 PM »

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #1040 on: January 31, 2022, 07:22:18 PM »
I like the pic of the young men working on the coupe rod. It must have been great to have junkyards full of those coupes and parts.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1041 on: January 31, 2022, 08:28:51 PM »
I think I remember that. Did an excellent job.

Found it for those that haven't seen or don't remember it.

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/threads/1935-gas-station-resurrection.337182/

Thanks Tim -- excellent detective work on your part! That guy did an amazing job with that place. You can plainly see that it's a true passion.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #1042 on: January 31, 2022, 08:29:31 PM »
I cant tell y'all how many times we painted those fuel islands at the Texaco. We weren't allowed to have any tire scuffs on them. At least once a month they got painted. mostly by me.LOL

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1043 on: January 31, 2022, 08:34:57 PM »
I cant tell y'all how many times we painted those fuel islands at the Texaco. We weren't allowed to have any tire scuffs on them. At least once a month they got painted. mostly by me.LOL

Great memories I'm sure when looking back from today's perspective. How many kids would do such grunt work in a gas/service station these days? I learned a lot as a kid from those places.

Offline john k

« Reply #1044 on: February 01, 2022, 05:30:07 PM »
All great pics, but cant say if I like the Sinclair station or the Texaco shot more, seeing a new tire wrapped in paper, the lady in white gloves and heels, the architecture of the white Sinclair building, how many spotted the 55 Chevy with the shaved trunk?

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #1045 on: February 02, 2022, 07:46:18 AM »
Did not notice the 55 or the shaved trunk.  Didn't even know that was a thing back then.

Offline john k

« Reply #1046 on: February 03, 2022, 11:04:19 AM »
 Dechroming was a thing by '63 already.  The real trick thing for the Chevys was putting on a station wagon bumper, it had the indent for the plate.  What was fun was watching  the new pump jockey try to find the gas filler on a '57 Chevy.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #1047 on: February 03, 2022, 02:51:26 PM »

I did that work in a Shell station as part of my pump duties BITD and I'm sure it was on Shell's checklist for a properly maintained location.

Online muddy

« Reply #1048 on: February 03, 2022, 06:36:01 PM »

Online muddy

« Reply #1049 on: February 07, 2022, 10:06:01 PM »