Author Topic: Vintage Photo Of The Day  (Read 277757 times)

Offline muddy

Re: Vintage Photo Of The Day
« Reply #1305 on: December 21, 2022, 07:06:52 PM »
Never knew about the on the car balancers

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Offline Rural53

« Reply #1306 on: December 23, 2022, 03:49:22 AM »
Ram pump

Offline john k

« Reply #1307 on: December 23, 2022, 07:43:58 AM »
The gas station pic with the girl pump jockeys is interesting.   Getting briefed on new extinguishers by the  FD.  Looks like 10? pump islands, wow, and this was the late 40s.  Like the big chrome coin dispensers, gas was probably 21 cents, might have had a roll of dollar bills in their shorts.  These days one would need 5's-10's and 20's for change, plus a card swiper.

Offline wantedabiggergarage

« Reply #1308 on: December 25, 2022, 08:45:08 AM »
The gas station pic with the girl pump jockeys is interesting.   Getting briefed on new extinguishers by the  FD.  Looks like 10? pump islands, wow, and this was the late 40s.  Like the big chrome coin dispensers, gas was probably 21 cents, might have had a roll of dollar bills in their shorts.  These days one would need 5's-10's and 20's for change, plus a card swiper.

And the girls would be in shorts and a tight white top with the name Headlights on them.

Offline muddy

« Reply #1309 on: January 01, 2023, 07:50:19 PM »

Offline john k

« Reply #1310 on: January 02, 2023, 07:43:18 AM »
Ah, the Chrysler turbine car!  The  bodies were built by Ghia of Italy.   Same company that built the Kharman Ghia for VW.  Shipped to the US where the power train was installed.  Looks like a mini assembly  line was set up.  Shame, most had to be destroyed.  What I find interesting is the tranny looks like a Torqueflite.  The turbine turned at very high RPM,  20,000 or maybe more, wondered how they got it down to usable speed.   That Mayflower truck now, what in the world would they have hauled that required  hoisting it up there?   Machinery extra long?  Great pics

Offline muddy

« Reply #1311 on: January 03, 2023, 08:08:25 PM »
Ah, the Chrysler turbine car!  The  bodies were built by Ghia of Italy.   Same company that built the Kharman Ghia for VW.  Shipped to the US where the power train was installed.  Looks like a mini assembly  line was set up.  Shame, most had to be destroyed.  What I find interesting is the tranny looks like a Torqueflite.  The turbine turned at very high RPM,  20,000 or maybe more, wondered how they got it down to usable speed.   That Mayflower truck now, what in the world would they have hauled that required  hoisting it up there?   Machinery extra long?  Great pics
Thanks for the info on the turbine. Always thought mother Mopar had a brilliant R&D team.

Not sure about the mayflower, can't see it fitting in much through one of those small doors.

Offline muddy

« Reply #1312 on: January 03, 2023, 08:12:24 PM »

Offline john k

« Reply #1313 on: January 04, 2023, 02:33:17 PM »
Stegmaier Beer, the pic of the Chevy wagon,  1953,  must of been running real well.  In the background is a 54 olds, behind that is a 62Valiant,  long time for inner city delivery work.   The 1961 Chevy assembly line is neat.  I never worked assembly line anything, butan 8 hour shift putting body bolts overhead would be rough in my book.   Always enjoy the gas station pics.

Offline muddy

« Reply #1314 on: January 04, 2023, 07:47:09 PM »

poems of encouragement

Offline muddy

« Reply #1315 on: January 14, 2023, 08:46:50 PM »

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1316 on: January 15, 2023, 07:14:52 AM »
The middle picture is interesting. You rarely see a gallon sized oil can. Even back in the day it was not very common. Oil was either pulled from the bulk drum, or off the shelf in single quart cans.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #1317 on: January 16, 2023, 09:46:05 AM »
When I worked in the 66 station in the mid 70's, we had gallon cans of Phillips Trop-Artic oil.  IIRC, kind of a pain to use.

Offline The Magic Ratchet

« Reply #1318 on: January 16, 2023, 05:29:20 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, the Veedol can is actually 5 quarts. The gasoline companies made single oil change size cans available for their gas stations. Cars of the 40's and early 50's usually took 5 quarts plus one for the oil filter. With the brief oil change intervals back then, it was common to change the oil filter every other oil change. In the later 50's, when crankcases were reduced to 4 + 1, the oil companies started making one gallon cans. I don't remember how long they lasted but we still had some in stock when we closed my dad's Esso station in 1965. They were metal cans and the fill openings on the engines were pretty accessible so the spout pictured worked really well. Sometimes we would punch a small screwdriver hole in the opposite side of the top for a vent. Those old cars could take oil as fast as you could pour it in. 

Lou Manglass

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1319 on: January 16, 2023, 05:33:36 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, the Veedol can is actually 5 quarts. The gasoline companies made single oil change size cans available for their gas stations. Cars of the 40's and early 50's usually took 5 quarts plus one for the oil filter. With the brief oil change intervals back then, it was common to change the oil filter every other oil change. In the later 50's, when crankcases were reduced to 4 + 1, the oil companies started making one gallon cans. I don't remember how long they lasted but we still had some in stock when we closed my dad's Esso station in 1965. They were metal cans and the fill openings on the engines were pretty accessible so the spout pictured worked really well. Sometimes we would punch a small screwdriver hole in the opposite side of the top for a vent. Those old cars could take oil as fast as you could pour it in. 

Lou Manglass

Thanks for the insight, and welcome to the GG. Hope you stay a while.