Author Topic: Vintage Photo Of The Day  (Read 277853 times)

Offline muddy

Re: Vintage Photo Of The Day
« Reply #1440 on: September 21, 2023, 09:08:48 PM »

Sent from my Twisted Mind Of The Mudman

Offline muddy

« Reply #1441 on: October 06, 2023, 07:48:27 PM »

Offline john k

« Reply #1442 on: October 07, 2023, 09:51:53 AM »
The mid 50s pic,  pair of Chevys at the pump.  Gas war price of 24.9,  I recall gas war prices of 22.9,  even 18.9,  normal prices in the 60s were. 26 and 28 cents,  so gas was even higher then?  The wrapped tires reminded me of the yards of wrappings I cut off in 67-69.  Then wrapped tires were gone by 75?

Offline muddy

« Reply #1443 on: October 09, 2023, 11:24:16 AM »
The mid 50s pic,  pair of Chevys at the pump.  Gas war price of 24.9,  I recall gas war prices of 22.9,  even 18.9,  normal prices in the 60s were. 26 and 28 cents,  so gas was even higher then?  The wrapped tires reminded me of the yards of wrappings I cut off in 67-69.  Then wrapped tires were gone by 75?
What was the point of wrapping? Used on all tires or just maybe to keep whitewalls clean?

Offline torqueman2002

« Reply #1444 on: October 09, 2023, 12:13:37 PM »
Back in 1968 - 1971, I pumped gas, changed & mounted tires, LOF, ... in a Mobil station in Buffalo, NY.

I recall wrapped tires, but it must have been before my time at the station. I do remember the crush of customers after the first significant snow fall!

We also had an IH Scout with a plow and a gasoline powered generator, we used to jump-start cars that were on the raggedy edge. A squirt of ether and 24 Volts almost never failed!

Also, when the snow got to much for the baby-blue Scout, a fella with a beat-up dump truck and an equally beat-up front loader would show up and remove the small mountains of snow the Scout had built up.

Back then, a constant stream of hot coffee from a local restaurant kept us moving and thawed out.  :coffee2:

All paid for by the owner-operator; Jim Landes.

Thanks Jim!   :051bye:
"I got to show the young boys how not to do it. I haven't showed them everything not to do, yet. It's a big job!" - Otto Kilcher

Offline muddy

« Reply #1445 on: October 09, 2023, 08:31:52 PM »
Back in 1968 - 1971, I pumped gas, changed & mounted tires, LOF, ... in a Mobil station in Buffalo, NY.

I recall wrapped tires, but it must have been before my time at the station. I do remember the crush of customers after the first significant snow fall!

We also had an IH Scout with a plow and a gasoline powered generator, we used to jump-start cars that were on the raggedy edge. A squirt of ether and 24 Volts almost never failed!

Also, when the snow got to much for the baby-blue Scout, a fella with a beat-up dump truck and an equally beat-up front loader would show up and remove the small mountains of snow the Scout had built up.

Back then, a constant stream of hot coffee from a local restaurant kept us moving and thawed out.  :coffee2:

All paid for by the owner-operator; Jim Landes.

Thanks Jim!   :051bye:
24V and ether!! That's a guaranteed return customer. At least an up sell on a starter :))

Offline john k

« Reply #1446 on: October 10, 2023, 12:03:19 AM »
I think the tire wrap was to ensure new rubber arrived unblemished,  plus wide whites were phasing out then.  24 volts tended to make the dome light GLOW for a second.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1447 on: October 10, 2023, 08:21:16 AM »
I unwrapped miles of spiral tire wrap as a young gas station helper. IIRC anything with a whitewall or early 60's white letter bias ply tires was delivered wrapped. Cheaper winter and or budget blackwall tires were unwrapped. If it was a premium grade tire, or a specialty tire (such as slicks) they were usually wrapped regardless of whether they were white- or blackwall.

I do recall that one brand we sold had the most annoyingly sticky wrapping that was almost impossible to cut. The Vredestein premium winter studded radials. I can't recall the name that Vredestein gave that tire, but the wrapping was like modern day Kevlar. We used to joke that the tires should have been made of the wrapping material because it would last forever. My only guess is that the wrapping was made that tough to keep the studs from poking through and causing damage during transport.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #1448 on: October 11, 2023, 12:20:23 AM »
After spending several years underground on the Western Front, the New Zealand Engineers Tunnelling Company was involved in the Battle of Havrincourt, opening on 12 September 1918, which began the German retreat back to the Belgian border. On 27 September the company was joined by a Royal Engineers company, the two companies (14 officers and 310 men in total) built a Hopkins steel bridge across the Canal du Nord between Hermies and Havrincourt.

This was the largest heavy steel bridge erected on the Western Front during the war, with a span of 180 feet (55 m) above a 100 feet (30 m) deep gap; in total the bridge was 240 feet (73 m) long, launched by rollers. It took 80 three-ton lorry loads to bring up the material, and the total time to unload and erect the bridge was 104 hours. It was opened for traffic on 2 October and completed on 5 October. Note the canal was unfinished at the start of the war and can be seen to be empty of water in the first photo.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2023, 05:51:28 AM by Rural53 »

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1449 on: October 11, 2023, 06:26:12 AM »
That was an incredible effort of both men and machines. Quite a gap to span with such a bridge design.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #1450 on: October 19, 2023, 08:53:30 PM »
Four World War I New Zealand soldiers in a front line trench pose beneath the sign 'The Cannibals Paradise Supply Den Beware' painted on corrugated iron in response to German propaganda that New Zealanders ate their captured prisoners. Photograph taken Gommecourt Wood 10 August 1918

Offline muddy

« Reply #1451 on: October 22, 2023, 07:49:59 PM »

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Offline muddy

« Reply #1452 on: November 01, 2023, 06:36:05 PM »

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Offline Rural53

« Reply #1453 on: November 12, 2023, 09:28:20 PM »
1. The first commercial flying boat service between Sydney and Wellington began in October 1950. The Wellington base was Evans Bay. Planes docked beside a small passenger terminal near Hataitai Beach – shown here in 1951. The trip to Sydney took about seven hours. The service ceased in 1954 when regular planes started flying across the Tasman Sea.

2.Two TEAL (Tasman Empire Airways Ltd) Solent flying boats at Evans Bay, Wellington. Shows the Ararangi on a pontoon undergoing repairs, and the Aranui behind. Photograph taken 19 October 1951 by an Evening Post photographer

Offline Rural53

« Reply #1454 on: November 12, 2023, 10:15:26 PM »
TEAL air terminal with Solent flying boat in pontoon dock, Evans Bay, Wellington, 1951.