Author Topic: Vintage Photo Of The Day  (Read 277762 times)

Offline john k

Re: Vintage Photo Of The Day
« Reply #1470 on: December 05, 2023, 08:18:00 AM »
Another great batch of photos!  Wonder what the crew was up to at the bar, the guy in coveralls looks familiar.

Offline muddy

« Reply #1471 on: December 05, 2023, 08:44:30 PM »

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1472 on: December 05, 2023, 08:50:43 PM »
Ed Roth must have been one HELL of a character. I've read about him ever since I was a youngster and got interested in cars. What a guy!!!

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #1473 on: December 07, 2023, 10:54:02 AM »

Very intriguing vintage B&W photo. The man to the right is Earl Stoyer who owns the Packard dealership in Pottsville and Schuylkill Pa. He also owns the local Cadillac/Oldsmobile along with Studebaker dealerships in the area... The taller man in Jack Dempsey. The Champion heavy weight fighter of the teen and twenties. His nickname was nicknamed Kid Blackie, named so because of his full head of dark hair.

Another Cadillac/Oldsmobile dealership oned by Earl Stoyer

A local newspaper article of the day states, “Boxing great Jack Dempsey was in Pottsville on 2/19/1931 to referee a boxing match and later came to Haven by train, greeted by a large crowd. He returned to his hotel in Pottsville in a Packard from Stoyer's.”  Did he purchase the Packard?

The Packard historian claims Jack Dempsey purchased a 1931 Packard 845 Deluxe sedan from Stoyer..

Packard 840 radiator ornament base is round... Cannot tell for sure which mascot on the car pictured..

Packard 845 radiator ornament.. note triangular base... This is the optional Adonis mascot (nicknamed sliding boy!) both share same base as the Goddess of Speed (Doughnut pusher)..

The main difference on the 840 between the 845 is the wheelbase of 140” verses 145” And the added 5” is from the firewall to the radiator. So the fender angle to the runner board is much noticeably less on the 845.. It's hard to tell with the two men in front of the car. My thinking it's the longer wheelbase Packard

Packard 145" wheelbase fender slope..

Packard 140" wheelbase fender slope.. Noticeably difference

In any case the 1931 Packard sold for tidy sum of $4,000.00 in the day. Jack Dempsey was a car guy of the day and owned a number of other fine cars, many roasters...  Just a few I came across..

Jack behind wheel in his 1924 McFarlan,, extremely expensive car of the day

Jack in the driver's seat his 1929 Dupont
« Last Edit: December 07, 2023, 07:32:27 PM by oldcarguy »

Offline john k

« Reply #1474 on: December 07, 2023, 06:16:32 PM »
The white car with white wheels is the duPont?  The black one looks very much like a Duesenburg.  Maybe. 

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #1475 on: December 07, 2023, 07:35:06 PM »
Oops, I switched the headings...

Here's a restored 1929 DuPont Model G

The Du Pont Model G was the first 8 cylinder model from Du Pont Motors in Wilmington, Delaware.
The car was powered by a Continental 12-K side-valve straight eight cylinder engine with a displacement of 321.8 c.i. (5.3 litre), delivering 125 bhp. Du Pont added an aluminum cover over the distributor, spark plugs and wiring for water and dust protection. There was a 3 speed transmission. Included were four-wheel hydraulic brakes, and hydraulic shock absorbers. Standard wheelbase was 136 in., with 141 in. available for formal coachwork, and a speedster with 125 in. There were 12 factory body styles to choose from, manufactured for Du Pont by Merrimac, Derham, and Waterhouse. The rolling chassis was available for other coachbuilders. Prices ranged from US$4,360 ($74,306 in 2022 dollars [3]) to US$5,750 ($97,995 in 2022 dollars [3]), with Speedsters up to US$6,125 ($104,386 in 2022 dollars
« Last Edit: December 07, 2023, 07:41:05 PM by oldcarguy »

Offline muddy

« Reply #1476 on: December 08, 2023, 08:33:02 PM »

Very intriguing vintage B&W photo. The man to the right is Earl Stoyer who owns the Packard dealership in Pottsville and Schuylkill Pa. He also owns the local Cadillac/Oldsmobile along with Studebaker dealerships in the area... The taller man in Jack Dempsey. The Champion heavy weight fighter of the teen and twenties. His nickname was nicknamed Kid Blackie, named so because of his full head of dark hair.

Another Cadillac/Oldsmobile dealership oned by Earl Stoyer

A local newspaper article of the day states, “Boxing great Jack Dempsey was in Pottsville on 2/19/1931 to referee a boxing match and later came to Haven by train, greeted by a large crowd. He returned to his hotel in Pottsville in a Packard from Stoyer's.”  Did he purchase the Packard?

The Packard historian claims Jack Dempsey purchased a 1931 Packard 845 Deluxe sedan from Stoyer..

Packard 840 radiator ornament base is round... Cannot tell for sure which mascot on the car pictured..

Packard 845 radiator ornament.. note triangular base... This is the optional Adonis mascot (nicknamed sliding boy!) both share same base as the Goddess of Speed (Doughnut pusher)..

The main difference on the 840 between the 845 is the wheelbase of 140” verses 145” And the added 5” is from the firewall to the radiator. So the fender angle to the runner board is much noticeably less on the 845.. It's hard to tell with the two men in front of the car. My thinking it's the longer wheelbase Packard

Packard 145" wheelbase fender slope..

Packard 140" wheelbase fender slope.. Noticeably difference

In any case the 1931 Packard sold for tidy sum of $4,000.00 in the day. Jack Dempsey was a car guy of the day and owned a number of other fine cars, many roasters...  Just a few I came across..

Jack behind wheel in his 1924 McFarlan,, extremely expensive car of the day

Jack in the driver's seat his 1929 Dupont

You know your history! I grew up around Haven and Pottsvile. My uncle lives on Earl Stoyer Drive.

He also owned the mansion across from current Schuylkill Haven High School.

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #1477 on: December 09, 2023, 07:49:09 PM »
There is so much history to be told. Sadly younger generation live for today. And don't appreciate the greats and struggles of the past.

I travel the country side in my 100 year old cars. And constantly gander that I'm traveling into the past... Often times stopping in small towns and striking up conversations with experience old timers..

Offline muddy

« Reply #1478 on: December 09, 2023, 08:50:14 PM »
There is so much history to be told. Sadly younger generation live for today. And don't appreciate the greats and struggles of the past.

I travel the country side in my 100 year old cars. And constantly gander that I'm traveling into the past... Often times stopping in small towns and striking up conversations with experience old timers..
I'm kinda an old soul like that. I know way more about history then I do the modern day. A love of History was passed down from my grandfather and father.

Like you I love to drive through the old small towns that still show the shadow of their former selves.  Or driving through the coal region to see the woods that used to be a thriving mine or boom town at one time.

Offline muddy

« Reply #1479 on: December 16, 2023, 08:51:30 PM »

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1480 on: December 17, 2023, 08:00:54 AM »
I love that Linwood KY pic!!! The old store/post office is a true piece of Americana. Hundreds of small towns across the US shared that same setting. Always a place to meet and share news, information, and commune with neighbors and friends.

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #1481 on: January 09, 2024, 05:22:31 PM »
I love that Linwood KY pic!!! The old store/post office is a true piece of Americana. Hundreds of small towns across the US shared that same setting. Always a place to meet and share news, information, and commune with neighbors and friends.

Sad part about those old timers sharing time together. Most likely few people today would recognize who they were. Yet they served an important part of many lives in Linwood.

Offline muddy

« Reply #1482 on: January 13, 2024, 08:46:31 PM »

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1483 on: January 14, 2024, 11:40:21 AM »
Wood Brothers classic #21 Ford. Ford and the #21 Wood Brothers cars were synonymous. Ford doesn't have much left in their passenger car stable these days. Wonder what Leonard Wood thinks of that conundrum? Can you imagine Ford corporate calling and saying --- "Hey Leonard, how about racing a Mach E Mustang?"   -- LOL

Offline john k

« Reply #1484 on: January 14, 2024, 07:46:52 PM »
That Buick up against the curb looked about new.  White police car on the right is a 54, with the big bubble gum light on top.