Author Topic: Well, good to be back!  (Read 9356 times)

Offline torqueman2002

Well, good to be back!
« on: November 15, 2018, 09:36:39 PM »
I've been checking off 'n on, almost gave up hope.

So glade to see the site is back up and running!

Hello from SE Michigan.

Now if I can just get my Check Engine light to work.

Oh, Ryan's site is down.

Update - it is back on-line. Maybe it was just my browser.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 09:48:28 PM by torqueman2002 »
"I got to show the young boys how not to do it. I haven't showed them everything not to do, yet. It's a big job!" - Otto Kilcher

Offline jabberwoki

Re: Well, good to be back!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 09:47:08 PM »
Nice again , more of the flock returneth .
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline torqueman2002

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 09:49:57 PM »
Thanks, this just feels like Home.
 ;)
"I got to show the young boys how not to do it. I haven't showed them everything not to do, yet. It's a big job!" - Otto Kilcher

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 09:56:22 PM »
Welcome back TM -- glad you found us again.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 09:59:18 PM »
Welcome back. Happy to see that avatar again.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 09:25:00 AM »
Good to see you back torqueman.

Offline torqueman2002

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 11:54:32 AM »
Thanks!

I've been kept busy this past summer & fall, with making my daughter and SIL's 'new' vehicle road worthy.

I got spoiled working on new GM vehicles before I retired from the GM Proving ground about 5 years ago.

No rust, no mangled connectors /wires, and really no 'broken' cars/trucks, except the ones I 'broke' on purpose.
Best job I ever had.

Fast forward to this past spring - my daughter and her husband turned in their lease vehicle and went shopping fort the 'best' $5,000 full size SUV.

Well, you can guess what they could buy & I got to make 'safe and reliable'.

2004 Yukon XL Denali.

After I used up my favors borrowing a GM TECH II, I asked for and received an AUTEL MS908, for my 70th birthday last September.

It has paid for it's self already. Of course that is only part of the required 'tools' needed to work on today's vehicles. I subscribe to ALLData for service information.

Most of what I've seen on the 240K mile Yukon, is poor workmanship on the aftermarket LED lights, Alarm, Nav/Info-tainment Systems.

Of course it needed the leaking exhaust manifolds replaced and the broken studs removed, but I'll be danmed if the A/C is not ice cold and leak free. No rust (knock on wood) on the brake and fuel lines; but plenty of rusty crusty pieces under neath.

We are in SE Michigan, and the roads are white with snow or salt December through March.

I have been amazed at how good a job the weather-pack connectors do, at keeping the terminals clean and corrosion free.

One last word of praise for the AUTEL MS908. It covers all the OBD II GM systems and has bi-directional capabilities. Apart from pass-through programming (which I didn't want, for the extra $700) the AUTEL will handle all the repairs on our 2004 Yukon, 2012 Equinox, 2013 Sierra, and 2016 Encore.

It covers all other domestic, European, and Far Eastern vehicles.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2018, 02:48:44 PM »
Great story TM -- glad you're back and posting. I'll have to get more familiar with those "new fangled" diagnostic computers, because I've never had much call for them. Now that we have several late model GM's in the family, I can see a need for these diagnostic tools.

I'm up to my eyeballs in tearing apart the left front side of my 2011 DTS -- new control arm (only needed ball joint, but it's only available in a complete control arm), wheel hub assembly, and CV axle shaft. It never gets any easier when you have a family fleet to maintain

Online Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2018, 08:31:29 PM »
Good to see you again, TM.  Enjoy that upcoming Michigan winter!   :)) :)) :))
boop/bop/beep