TOOLS AND THE SHOP > GENERAL TOOL AND MACHINE DISCUSSION

The Quest for the perfect pocket screwdriver

(1/9) > >>

bonneyman:
I'm going to document my journey for that perfect pocket driver. having used them for 30 years and trying different styles I've set out to find the one that just works the best for me. The right size, versatile tips, comfort in use, not breaking the bank expensive. I have alot of pictures to post and will fill them in over time. for right now I'll just set up the template and add the pics later.

If you guys have any pocket screwdrivers that you like, post 'em up!

bonneyman:
Here's some standard freebie drivers.

The top "Trane" was a standard give-away, with a reversible standard/phillips shank. Used ones like this for years. But the tips were kinda soft, and with the newer stats, often would bend or damage the over-tight screws.

The Next one was a newer style with a triangular profile. Easier to get a grip and turn, but not much better shanks.

The third one was a real step up as far as features go. reversible shank, core remover, and an integral level. So, three tools in the pocket protector got replaced by one! Older mercury-bulb stats needed to be level to operate correctly. But as new electronic stats became popular, levelness wasn't necessary for operation. Only aesthetics.

The bottom one was one I picked up at a thrift store. Has a #1 phillips and a T6 Torx. Knurled grip was nice, but - as with all of these types - as my hands and fingers stiffened up were harder and harder to hold.

bonneyman:
Name brand specialty models that I switched to.
The top is a Snap-On core removal tool (lists for $18), but their pocket driver has the same handle (lists for $15 and change). Next to Proto Bet-R-Grips I like their handles the best.

The next is an Enderes pocket driver. Shanks in their multi-bit drivers are forged and very tough. So when I came across a pocket version I snagged it.

The bottom is a Proto yellow handle I made into a pocket driver. A bit larger than the Enderes with the nice grippy grooves. And not much longer overall. Though I've been told it's not a pocket driver if it has no pocket clip. Oh well!

bonneyman:
Some more recent entries into the field that I didn't get to use for work but I grabbed them when I found them.

The top is a Ring driver - I'm guessing it's used for installing those Ring Doorbell camera units. #1 phillips and what looks like a T6 torx bit, ball detent secured. Decent shape for my hands but a bit small and too smooth. Later versions seem to have a hexagonal handle shape so could be better.

The NEST driver is the right size but way too smooth, and the hex opening holding the bit is too thin. I'm thinking it's not made for contractor use, just occasional homeowner adjustments. Maybe a coating of truck bed paint with sand grip would help? Plus a ring support for the hex opening. #1 phillips and a 1/8" standard bit end, with magnetic holding it in. Overall not bad.

The bottom driver is my working prototype (pun intended!) of a yellow handle one size up from the smallest. The grooves and flutes really allow a good grip, and it's small enough to fit in a pocket protector. Working on getting the bits being held securely

bonneyman:
You all know how much I like the Proto yellow handle style for comfort. Trying to fashion one after a Snap-On version that I saw on line. Here's my two Proto DIY drivers side by side. If I can get the bigger one to work I might call it the "Oversize Pocket Screwdriver".

Here's the link to the Snappy. $20 for a pocket screwdriver. Sheesh!
https://shop.snapon.com/product/Pocket-Screwdrivers-with-Reversible-Bit/Pocket-Screwdriver-with-Reversible-Bit-(Red)/SDDDM1AR

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version