General Category > POLITICS (IF YOU DO NOT LIKE POLITICS, THEN DON'T GO IN HERE!

why I am glad to be represented by a union...

(1/7) > >>

TexasT:
https://www.yourtango.com/career/harworking-employee-spent-15-years-company-fired-5-minute-meeting

though it didn't help at the last employer as they just shut the operations down. I did find the current employer and it is union also.
I know the Almighty dollar is king and I spent the better part of my adult life chasing them. I'll not be partaking in moving and chasing money any more. just too much for my old self.

the corporate greed and general lack of respect for the working class is coming to the top of people's agenda. these unions are getting the concessions and money the rank and file deserve. we are entering a time when this gen z is small like the Gen x and the boomers are retiring finally. this leaves two small generations and the large contingent of millennials. if you need people to run that business, they better get ready to pony up the wages and benefits.
corporate profits are just unpaid wages the labor didn't receive.

I hope everyone is well.

bonneyman:
I think that unions were a good defense against employer abuse but nowadays they gotta be careful what they wish for. Sure, the union can strike and make a company make concessions but you gotta walk that fine line. The company could agree, then close up or go bankrupt. Like that yellow truck company. Sur there were certainly other factors at work but the strike "winning" may have just made then throw in the towel.
Then the car makers strike, and they finally conceded, now I'm hearing car sales are tanking. To pay them increased benefits they have to raise prices, and i can't believe what the stickers saying.

So, I'm wondering where this is gonna end?

skfarmer:
i can see both sides of union and non union. unions did some great things in the past and maybe they are doing some now. what is not arguable is that they have always included  and been some what involved with some on the more seedy side. even to the extent of organised crime.

i don't have a lot of respect for the automakers but i also think they got screwed . at the end of the day we will all pay much more new vehicles and replacement parts.

tell me who won there?

slip knot:
I've had 3 ex union guys come to work for me. They all worked for a local aluminum company that went tits up. They all hated it. The high voltage electrician wasn't allowed to change a light bulb because that was the I&E guys job. :lol_hitting: All of them have tales like that.

Wages will have to rise regardless of union status. The median wage in this area can't afford to buy the median home in this area. Thats not tenable, long term. My company just transitioned to a younger management team. They're all in their 30s. they see nothing wrong with employees jumping ship and going elsewhere for more money. The comment has been made "that makes them a more rounded person to work different places". All well and good except my job vacancies require state certification and if your willing to let your certified guys go and not offer up enough money to attract someone else who's certified then we're screwed. My operations staff is at 60% staffing currently and no applicants in sight. it's all about the dollars. I used to compete with the petrochemical plants for operators, now I compete with Dairy Queen.

If companies want to attract quality employees then there going to have to offer quality pay.

Lookin4_67GalaxieConv:
Unions were started out of necessity and absolutely needed in some industries.  Over time though, it felt like the balance of power changed to the union side.  A lot of them became like government bureaucracies.  Continually getting bigger and taking over more and more.  And like S/K pointed out, the organized crime component with some of them, and also being heavily Democrat leaning.  Ideally a company will be responsive enough to their employees to make a union unnecessary.  I know in the auto industry, the unions have gotten more than enough perks over the years and it's the customers that end up bending over in the end.  Industries that rely on skilled labor should realize if they don't address issues labor is having, a union might, so which solution do they prefer?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version