Author Topic: Post all of your latest tool buys here  (Read 183925 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: Post all of your latest tool buys here
« Reply #660 on: September 14, 2021, 08:18:27 PM »
The 1×30 combination sanders were finally back in stock at the local Harbor freight, so I picked one up.

The standard 1×30 I bought a couple years ago started to go out on me awhile back, and I wanted one of these anyways.

They are a Hobby grade tool no doubt about it, but I get a ton of use out of these for small projects.
They are extremely useful for all kinds of stuff.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #661 on: September 17, 2021, 06:14:10 PM »
Payed a 5 bucks for this small handful at a yardsale.
The Channellock 526 have the nut construction,  the ball peen is about a 16oz unbranded but it's a good one.
The small crow bar looks to be a Dasco it's not branded but It's seen some hammering and hasn't worn much so I know the steel is decent.

There was also an combination vise anvil for $30 but the handle was practically bent to an s, and it was really dirty and I was on my way to lunch so I didn't want to get too dirty.
Stopped by on the way back and it was gone.
I really wish the timing was right, because those always command more than that.

I don't remember the brand, but it was made in KC Missouri.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 06:20:31 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #662 on: October 14, 2021, 06:49:17 PM »
Did I need it and will it actually get used ?
I don't know, but it's cool and they're not expensive.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #663 on: October 14, 2021, 07:01:25 PM »
Loving that little blue crowbar. Those middle size ones really come in handy. I have a regular "wrecking bar" crowbar I've had for years, but for some jobs it's "too" big. And I use a 27" Proto screwdriver for prying as well. But a mid-sized crowbar will help more times than you think.

Good grab!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #664 on: October 14, 2021, 08:15:03 PM »
Loving that little blue crowbar. Those middle size ones really come in handy. I have a regular "wrecking bar" crowbar I've had for years, but for some jobs it's "too" big. And I use a 27" Proto screwdriver for prying as well. But a mid-sized crowbar will help more times than you think.

Good grab!
I've used it a few times already.
Makes me wish I had bought one a long time ago , being a Dasco I'm sure it wouldn't have cost more than maybe $10.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #665 on: October 20, 2021, 02:26:22 PM »
Had to grab a faucet fitting on the way home from work and the hardware had this on clearance,  add the $5 rewards points and I got it for $16.
I probably would not pay more than that for it.

I can't stand this horrible oversized and ugly plastic case, but luckily it's actually just one of their drill driver bit cases and the insert pulls right out
I may even have a proper metal case I can put it in.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #666 on: October 20, 2021, 05:50:12 PM »
Do those import Craftsman sockets have codes on them like the old ones do.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #667 on: October 21, 2021, 03:43:13 AM »
Do those import Craftsman sockets have codes on them like the old ones do.
No MFG Codes on the Taiwanese sockets, and no COO anywhere but the packaging.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Midnitemack

« Reply #668 on: October 21, 2021, 03:43:35 AM »

I bought a cheap lot off the internet in Rural’s town on the other island a few weeks ago ….. he came by today with them …… some treasures, some crap as well . Maybe even the King Dick for Jabber …….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #669 on: October 21, 2021, 03:29:38 PM »
Na i dont need king dick cause i am king dick :bravo_2:

I should really put some effort in to getting me Siddy wall cabinet over from Oz tho.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #670 on: October 21, 2021, 05:54:54 PM »

I like the bit ratchet. Having a regular box on one end lets you break free tight bolts without overstressing the ratchet end, then you can spin it off faster.  :great:

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #671 on: October 21, 2021, 07:36:46 PM »
Very handy toolset - great for tight spaces. I used the heck out of mine installing the dash on my Jag.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #672 on: October 22, 2021, 11:09:16 AM »

I like the bit ratchet. Having a regular box on one end lets you break free tight bolts without overstressing the ratchet end, then you can spin it off faster.  :great:
Personally I'm annoyed by the fact that it's there, to me it just seems like an afterthought or like it's just a converted ratcheting box wrench.
If it had a way to retain bits it would be a different story though.
I'm lso not huge on the offset either, I see no issue with knuckle clearance, and to get in behind things it should be offset in the other direction.

I can't complain too much in the end , this one is definitely much better than the previous version.
It's lower profile , and the thumb wheel is better.
On the previous version the thumb wheel is very sharp and uncomfortable to use at times.

It's not a bad tool and will be useful , I just prefer these particular HI-FIVE examples more.

I will say the selector on it is very snappy, that definitely feels really nice.
You just know it's not going to self reverse because it trips with a very satisfying click.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 11:22:40 AM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #673 on: October 22, 2021, 05:44:48 PM »
This is my 3rd pair of these WILDE #6N,I keep gifting them because they're really nice and people always appreciate them.
images upload
Cripe still has them for $10 but it seems WILDE has discontinued them.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #674 on: October 22, 2021, 10:11:12 PM »
Not really a buy. I broke this sledge hammer at least 25 yrs ago and I've wanted to cut down and have a short handle sledge since then. It has been on all the moves(about six of em) so it has put in the time, haha.

Ive not done a Deal like this before. Though I think it turned out alright. Next time I'll make the handle go through the head some more. I managed to get it in there and it was snug so I drove a cedar shim In There. Seems to work pretty good though I like the lighter 3lb I have . I think this is an 8 lb head. I won't do any wild swinging with it. But it is nice to have some heft for certain pounding tasks.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 10:12:43 PM by TexasT »
Rich