Author Topic: Post all of your latest tool buys here  (Read 183950 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: Post all of your latest tool buys here
« Reply #1155 on: July 22, 2023, 06:18:51 PM »
Wet / dry vacs sure are handy.
My previous boss bought me a very nice big Dewalt to use at work, and it's awesome.
Quite powerful and very quiet too, it kind of made me dislike the 2 Shop-vacs I have at home but I don't quite dislike them enough to spend almost $300 on that Dewalt model.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #1156 on: August 05, 2023, 01:12:12 PM »
Just returned from the local ReStore.

For $20 I can put it to good use.  Two cases have moveable dividers while the other is fixed.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline Midnitemack

« Reply #1157 on: August 05, 2023, 07:47:50 PM »
Just returned from the local ReStore.

For $20 I can put it to good use.  Two cases have moveable dividers while the other is fixed.
Good score , Würth make some awesome organiser boxes !!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #1158 on: August 06, 2023, 10:20:12 AM »
That looks like an excellent organizer.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1159 on: August 06, 2023, 10:22:23 AM »
Top of the line stuff Nick. They are indestructible. 

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #1160 on: August 06, 2023, 11:05:45 AM »
Those will last forever
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #1161 on: August 06, 2023, 11:19:28 AM »
I recently sold my HF roller cabinet and crappy workbench for some Husky toolbox’s. I still need to build a platform and pull the wheels off. So far I like it. I just can’t remember where anything is.
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline muddy

« Reply #1162 on: August 08, 2023, 08:38:37 PM »
I recently sold my HF roller cabinet and crappy workbench for some Husky toolbox’s. I still need to build a platform and pull the wheels off. So far I like it. I just can’t remember where anything is.
Looks great!

Sent from my Twisted Mind Of The Mudman

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1163 on: August 10, 2023, 12:41:48 PM »
Looks great!

Agree with Tim. It looks fantastic Bob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline muddy

« Reply #1164 on: August 16, 2023, 09:32:07 PM »
Got these from Jabber! SK swivel sockets in metric (look to be NOS)

Thanks Jabber!!!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #1165 on: August 16, 2023, 10:02:02 PM »
Found an S-K socket box for $3 last week. Marked "Chicago" so probably 1970 0r 1971 vintage. Was hoping it would hold my still-to-be-found deep metric set but I think it's for the SAE set (which is 7 sockets instead of 10 for the metric set). So I may have to do some rearranging in my boxes to get everything to fit properly.

Paint is in too good of shape to sand and redo, plus someone went to a bit of trouble to make a perfect fitting thin cardboard liner tray for the inside instead of the OEM plastic one.

Now I just have to find the sockets!

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #1166 on: August 22, 2023, 10:48:25 AM »
Stokester, that organizer deserves a YOU SUCK!!!  That would bring 80m to 100 in my store depending on condition

Bob, garage looks good.  I hear you about not being able to find things in new storage.

Offline torqueman2002

« Reply #1167 on: August 22, 2023, 12:58:48 PM »
Those are some great finds!

Recently, I have been working with the young (mid-20s) couple across the street from us, to wire extra circuits in their garage.

Normally I don't agree to do electrical work for friends, in fact I first told him no when he asked if I could put in an outlet for a refrigerator. After thinking about it for a day we hit upon a plan. I will show him step-by-step what to do and he will pull a permit and have the work inspected.

He's smart and willing to accept direction from someone old enough to be his grandfather.

I bought some tools to make the job go smoother, as well as help him to understand how much torque to use when connecting wire to different electrical terminals.

The first image is a stubby self-feeding 3/4" auger bit.

The second and third images show 'combination bit' style screwdrivers. They make excellent connection to the terminal screws used on outlets, switches, circuit breakers, ....

The last image is an inch-pound variable torque screwdriver. This, I trust, will give my 'apprentice' the correct feel for how tight a terminal needs to be screwed down.

We are making slow progress on Phase I - dedicated GFCI outlet and a separate switched over-head lighting circuit. All run through PVC conduit.

It's fun to do this kind of project again. Now that my garage, basement, and house are updated, I needed a project.  ;)

« Last Edit: August 22, 2023, 01:04:44 PM by torqueman2002 »
"I got to show the young boys how not to do it. I haven't showed them everything not to do, yet. It's a big job!" - Otto Kilcher

Offline john k

« Reply #1168 on: August 22, 2023, 06:52:47 PM »
Bought a few small tools recently.  At the nearest Habitat restore, a New Britain double combo offset box  wrench came up.   This in the 1948 - 1953 series that I collect, a chromed 1/2 x 9/16 in amazing condition.  Haven't seen anything in this series in years.  Got the whole series in the bag but is a bit exciting to see another one,  underneath the rusty Barcalos, and made in India offerings.  Also tagged a 1/2 inch breaker bar,  SK,  with a female square drive in the end of the handle.  Found a plain steel Hinsdale  combo box end, 3/8 x 7/16, with a round shank, old am thinking.  Sorry, no pics, my rural internet is anemic this week, month, etc. 

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #1169 on: August 25, 2023, 12:13:22 PM »
I ordered a William's #2 to try out and there's really not much I could say that everybody doesn't already know, it's very obviously a high quality screwdriver.
The handle is well proportioned and the ergonomics are great.

Always lookin' to learn