Author Topic: S-K socket set - need pieces  (Read 3417 times)

Offline bonneyman

S-K socket set - need pieces
« on: January 13, 2021, 01:28:39 PM »
I found this nice condition S-K socket box. Marked "S-K Tools Chicago, Illinois" This tells me it's after the SK WAYNE era (1962-1969) but before the move of SK HQ to Franklin Park, Illinois (May 1971)
I'd like to complete this 3/8" set as a truck box, so I'm looking for the pieces to fill it out. WAYNE pieces are fine, and small script 70's would work too.

UPDATE: Found some pieces, so I've updated my needs list. Need some deeps (11/16,3/4, and 13/16). I believe these are 12 point.
I also need a universal, and a pair of 3/8" extensions (1, 2, 3 and 6 inch). I think I may take a spare 1/4" ratchet and swap a 3/8" gear into it. That wasn't stock, but a 3/8" set could probably use a 3/8" gear in a 1/4" body.
If you have anything you think I could use, let me know.
Might also try and snag a sliding T-handle and/or breaker bar if one is available. :great:
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 10:00:31 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

Re: S-K socket set - need pieces
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2021, 06:04:59 PM »
Went to a vintage parking lot sale today and found some more S-K pieces. The set is getting there. One more deep and the three extensions and I'll have a close duplicate of the S-K socket set I bought right out of HS in 1980 (which I still have - bottom pic for comparison). I don't think the 3/8 to 1/4 adaptor was a part of the original tool set (it wasn't in mine), but at 30 cents a piece I wasn't going to leave it.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 10:08:25 AM by bonneyman »

Offline vssjim

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 09:59:38 PM »
I like you have a number of those style sets and I think the ratchet is newer than 1971 as it has a pressed metal direction switch as they were machined metal until around 1980 so it maybe the same year bought the first one. I think the smoothest SK 3/8 ratchets are with the all chrome plated internal parts and the machined metal direction switch they have smooth low back drag and stay clean. I still love SK tools as they were my go tool company from the start and I have lots of them buying them over time still today. 
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 10:02:25 PM by vssjim »

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2021, 09:39:42 AM »
..... I still love SK tools as they were my go tool company from the start and I have lots of them buying them over time still today. 

I'm with you on liking older SK, although I'm in the unfortunate situation in that I purchased some of my sets in the late 70's when the company experienced a quality control issue. SK was the premium line at my local auto parts store and I purchased the sets when they usually went on sale over the holidays. I've broken more short 1/2" and 1/4" drive chrome sockets from those sets than any other brand. I have older SK sets from my grandfather's day and they never had a problem; just those pesky late 70s early 80s products. Ratchets, extensions, and u-joints have never been an issue; regardless of the production year.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2021, 10:04:09 AM »
I like you have a number of those style sets and I think the ratchet is newer than 1971 as it has a pressed metal direction switch as they were machined metal until around 1980 so it maybe the same year bought the first one. I think the smoothest SK 3/8 ratchets are with the all chrome plated internal parts and the machined metal direction switch they have smooth low back drag and stay clean. I still love SK tools as they were my go tool company from the start and I have lots of them buying them over time still today.

Yeah 10-4 The ratchet is a nicer one I have - sorry if I led folks to believe the set was all the same era. I do have a WAYNE ratchet but it's in rough shape, so, I put this one in to fill out the set.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2021, 10:05:40 AM »
..... I still love SK tools as they were my go tool company from the start and I have lots of them buying them over time still today. 

I'm with you on liking older SK, although I'm in the unfortunate situation in that I purchased some of my sets in the late 70's when the company experienced a quality control issue. SK was the premium line at my local auto parts store and I purchased the sets when they usually went on sale over the holidays. I've broken more short 1/2" and 1/4" drive chrome sockets from those sets than any other brand. I have older SK sets from my grandfather's day and they never had a problem; just those pesky late 70s early 80s products. Ratchets, extensions, and u-joints have never been an issue; regardless of the production year.

I've had chrome peeling issues with some of my original (1980) sockets but no cracks or breakages. I know my dads set from the 60's didn't have any issues.

Online skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2021, 12:29:48 PM »
i found a stash of deeps. post the exact sizes you need to fill the set.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2021, 01:51:43 PM »
i found a stash of deeps. post the exact sizes you need to fill the set.

The only deep I need is a 13/16" 12 pt.