Author Topic: Hasler mechanical tachometer --  (Read 7349 times)

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Hasler mechanical tachometer --
« on: August 14, 2018, 01:40:43 PM »
Saw this in a pawn shop close to my bank a few years ago. The pawnshop salesman thought is was a stop watch, and since it didn't work like a stop watch he assumed it was broken. I calmly kept my big yap shut and offered him $10. Naturally he wanted $20, and we finally settled on $15. The instructions were somewhat stuffed under the green cushion.

I don't know anything much about the company, but just by the look, feel , finish of the body and the accessories I can tell that this is a very high quality mechanical tachometer -- it is built like a Swiss watch and is very heavy.

I found the complete instructions hidden under the felt of the lid ---

Glad I decided to stop in and take a quick look.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 01:43:02 PM by goodfellow »

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
Re: Hasler mechanical tachometer --
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 02:26:10 PM »
Man that one is a real old timer isn't it! Beautiful instrument though.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

lostmind

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 04:33:04 PM »
I've had several Stewart Warner hand tachs . Not near the quality and appeal of that beauty.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 05:11:40 PM »
I've had several Stewart Warner hand tachs . Not near the quality and appeal of that beauty.

X2. This is way classier than the touchless digital monster I now use.

Offline Elroy

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2019, 03:30:21 PM »
Saw this in a pawn shop close to my bank a few years ago. The pawnshop salesman thought is was a stop watch, and since it didn't work like a stop watch he assumed it was broken. I calmly kept my big yap shut and offered him $10. Naturally he wanted $20, and we finally settled on $15. The instructions were somewhat stuffed under the green cushion.

I don't know anything much about the company, but just by the look, feel , finish of the body and the accessories I can tell that this is a very high quality mechanical tachometer -- it is built like a Swiss watch and is very heavy.

How did Elroy miss this post?? Elroy has the exact same instrument that's dated 1918 and it is a "stop watch" of sorts

Actually it's a revolution counter..... it counts revolutions for 3 seconds. The dial is calibrated to convert revs in 3 seconds to revs per minute ( RPM ).
Look at the dial and note it will register up to 27,000 RPM. Obviously it won't indicate acceleration or revs in transition. It can only indicate the average RPM for the 3 seconds it counts.
You are also correct...........those Hasler "tachs" are extremely high quality especially for the age.

Elroy thinks they're a neat piece as well. Nice snag
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 03:32:29 PM by Elroy »

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2019, 04:45:03 PM »
Tell Elroy not to feel bad as I missed this post also. That is a nice instrument and is much nicer than the one I used to use. I didn't like it and sold it in our auction.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2019, 10:27:37 AM »
Yes that is a nice instrument.  I have sold 1 or 2 mechanical tachs over the years, don't see them much

Online jabberwoki

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2019, 11:13:31 AM »
Very bloody nice with a you suck price.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?