Author Topic: Question for goodfellow: pallet jack  (Read 9170 times)

Offline DeadNutz

Question for goodfellow: pallet jack
« on: August 15, 2018, 04:05:05 PM »
Since you have so much experience with jacks I wanted to ask you about my pallet jack. I bought this Chinese pallet jack at an auction nearly 18 years ago. After the last time I used it there was a little oil dripping off the bottom of the jack. I checked the thing over and now it doesn't leak but would only go 1/2 way up. I pulled the oil fill plug and it was full. I left the plug out and jacked it up and it went all the way up. Lowered it and oil level was the same. I put it under a heavy pallet of concrete blocks and it fully raised it but very very slowly bled down. It also doesn't pump up until the jack handle is about 1/2 way down.
I noticed that the locknut on the foot release lever adjustment is loose and wonder if that needs adjustment to stop the bleeding. I did get exploded view diagrams and a little bag of new parts when I bought it so at least I have an idea if a rebuild is needed.
Just wanted to get your thoughts on this.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Question for goodfellow: pallet jack
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 04:10:54 PM »
I've never worked on one, but the problem you're having is probably due to a seal. That rebuild kit is a good start. Most are not that hard to install -- just take plenty of pics when taking things apart and you should be good to go.

Sorry, not much help I know, but if you post your progress on the GG there are plenty of folks that can help you with info to complete the project.

Good luck
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 04:12:37 PM by goodfellow »

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 04:37:09 PM »
Thanks gf. I have to move a safe for the wife's boss in the next week. I delivered it to him 2 years ago and the pallet jack and die lift make it an easy job getting it on and off the trailer. I'll tear into it after the move. I always take pics when I tear something apart. The camera seems to do a better job than my memory of recording things for some reason. ;)

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 06:38:34 PM »
I've never worked on one, but the problem you're having is probably due to a seal. That rebuild kit is a good start. Most are not that hard to install -- just take plenty of pics when taking things apart and you should be good to go.

Sorry, not much help I know, but if you post your progress on the GG there are plenty of folks that can help you with info to complete the project.

Good luck

The jack expert on GJ is Hiball. Guy is like a savant with floor jacks.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 07:16:40 AM »
My pallet jack was leaking fluid out of the top of the cylinder and would bleed down.  I bought a rebuild kit but only replaced the oring or seal that was at the top of the piston and problem solved.  Didn't tear into it any further then I had too as I didn't want to open a can of oily worms :D