Author Topic: New Harbor Freight’s Icon Brand Sockets  (Read 19130 times)

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
Re: New Harbor Freight’s Icon Brand Sockets
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2021, 04:17:20 PM »
Say what you want but I have been quietly useing  a set of metric and a set of sae shallows in 3/8 for well over a year. Do they get used every day? No but several times a week instead of my normal sk sockets.

I would buy them again. Take that for what it's worth.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline muddy

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2021, 07:00:17 PM »
Say what you want but I have been quietly useing  a set of metric and a set of sae shallows in 3/8 for well over a year. Do they get used every day? No but several times a week instead of my normal sk sockets.

I've been looking at buying an icon ratchet to take to work to put against my snap on one.

I just can't bring myself to pay that much for a ratchet at harbor freight.

Its clearly a mental thing because I can easily pay $100 or more for a Matco or Snap-On one.

I haven't had any hands on on the icon stuff. I'm sure that would help. Like someone said not surwhy they box them up. I want to see and touch what I'm about to buy. Probably part of reason I have no problem buying Snap-On or Matco. The. Again my reps will let me take it for a spin for a week before making a decision.

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Offline vssjim

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2021, 05:27:49 PM »
When they came out and people on both sides were going crazy about they are great or they are soft. I waited until they went on sale for 50% percent off on deep socket sets. I got a 3/8 metric set and used it at work daily only on hand tools as I only use chrome on impacts if it  is a must for thin areas. I split a 12mm socket after about a year and the set did show wear on the square drive. I got a set of GearWrench about the same time as a test with them and the GearWrench show no wear and had no failures. I hope it helps.

Offline highland512

« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2021, 11:43:53 AM »
I got the 3/8 icon torque wrench. No complaints

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2021, 09:57:55 PM »

SK-  say it aint so :-\
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2021, 09:32:47 AM »

SK-  say it aint so :-\

we can all talk smack about coo and quality of products made here and there. the truth is, unless you put your money where your mouth is you just don't know. so to be informed i picked those 2 icon sets up for some seat time. if you have have never used them it's damn tough to  give an honest view on them

is every icon item good? is quality consistent across the line? is quality consistent over time? i won't go there as i don't know. i do know that on what i have, fit and finish is excellent and they show no signs of stress or excessive wear. my experience with them has been very positive.

so lauver, sorry to disappoint you........  but when i make a comment on something i want people to believe that i am honest, informed and experienced and that involves calling it as you see it.

now tekton, some may like it but i have seen  too much bad shit from  (mit) michigan industrial tools and  their sister grip to think that a simple name change makes it all good. i refuse to buy their us made stuff either, why buy a rebrand when you can get it right from the mfg. and cut out the middle man.

how is that going from unbiased to biased in the same post?   :38:
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline GNAP

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2021, 06:07:40 PM »
I use a set everyday, 1/4” through 7/8”, 3/8” drive, Icon chrome sockets, with the required (at least for me) Harbor Freight composite ratchet. I have had zero issues with wear, chrome  or any other problem, they just flat work.

Are they great - no
Are they terrible - no
Are they equal to most mid-priced set - yes
Would I buy them again - yes
Do I have any regrets - no
jack

Offline vssjim

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2021, 10:04:07 PM »
I had the ICON 3/8 deep sockets and split one on hand use so I not sure about the over all deal with them, out of the Taiwan made tools I have Carlyle, TOPTUL, GearWrench and Tekton the ICON's are the only one I have ever broken so I will probably stay with stay with them.

Offline muddy

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2021, 07:41:44 PM »

I use a set everyday, 1/4” through 7/8”, 3/8” drive, Icon chrome sockets, with the required (at least for me) Harbor Freight composite ratchet. I have had zero issues with wear, chrome  or any other problem, they just flat work.

Are they great - no
Are they terrible - no
Are they equal to most mid-priced set - yes
Would I buy them again - yes
Do I have any regrets - no

That's a down a dirty review I like it!

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman