Author Topic: You guys ever buy through Wish?  (Read 7899 times)

Offline m_fumich

You guys ever buy through Wish?
« on: October 01, 2019, 08:25:03 PM »
If you don’t know about Wish, it’s kinda like eBay but everything is a Buy It Now and it all comes from China. So much of what we buy now comes from China anyway so why not buy direct and save. I haven’t bought anything significant but you can get some good deals. Like O rings kits. 225 pieces for $17. At the moment, shipping is free but that could change in an hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline eborcim

Re: You guys ever buy through Wish?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 09:09:33 AM »
Prices are really attention grabbing, but some wish items are the cheapest of the cheap Chinese knockoffs.  You get what you pay for it.
Shipping is the original slow boat from China if not a domestic seller.  There are some domestic sellers with US items on there (e.g. some Harley apparel). One problem is that even with multiple buys, you usually do not get combined shipping.  If you are using different sellers at one time, the shipping adds up pretty quick.

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 09:47:40 AM »
Buy shipping is still very cheap. They still have free shipping on all items right now. So, at the moment, shipping cost is not a factor.

I recently bought a 6” digital caliper micrometer for under $4 and shipping was $5. It will take a month to get here but that’s ok.

You are right about the shipping time. It could take 2-4 weeks to get your item. It’s worth the savings to me.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 11:23:43 AM »
That is a cheap caliper. I would check it with calibrated standards before I ever used it for anything.

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 11:28:13 AM »
That is a cheap caliper. I would check it with calibrated standards before I ever used it for anything.

At $9, it’s worth the risk. If I bought a new one in the US, it would be Made in China. So why is buying it from a Chinese seller a bad idea? It’s not expensive to manufacture quality parts anymore. Why would someone go through all the trouble to manufacture something like this if it were useless? I’ll test it as soon as I get it and post the results.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 12:09:10 PM »
I'm not saying it is useless. It is standard procedure to check any new measuring tool for accuracy before use. I always check against a standard before using any micrometer even if I know it is good. Calipers are good tools but you have to know how accurate they are and imports can vary.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2019, 12:31:16 PM »
is that a plastic caliper? if so, 9 bucks is too much. if not 9 bucks may or may not be a deal
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2019, 12:37:58 PM »
i just checked. hf has a 5 inch digital caliper for 9.99 before coupon and a metal one for 14.99 before coupon. both will have some sort of warranty and could be returned immediately if not.

i am not a big harbor freight guy but i sure wouldn't waste my time dicking around with something so readily available
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2019, 12:48:51 PM »
If the Wish micrometer is plastic, I will have wasted my money for sure. Since plastic will warp easily, it wouldn’t take much to make it useless.

The micrometer aside, there are deals to be had through Wish. I was just wondering if any of you guys have checked them out or bought from them.

Offline chevy302dz

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2019, 02:02:10 PM »
Nope, any site I have to sign up before even viewing... not happening.

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2019, 02:08:31 PM »
Nope, any site I have to sign up before even viewing... not happening.

I don’t recall having to sign up with Wish before viewing. I have the same policy as you. I don’t want to tell them who I am just to have a look-see.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2019, 03:26:10 PM »
In my experience everything they sell is so bottom of the barrel it hides under it like a cockroach.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2019, 03:47:07 PM »
This was the first thing I ever bought through Wish. It’s for removing wires from terminal connectors. It cost me $3 to get it to my door. I never knew these existed before I saw it on Wish. It seemed like a real handy thing to have laying around. I don’t know that I’ll ever need it but if I should, I’ll be glad I wasted $3 on it. I’m not sure how this could be a bottom of the barrel product.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2019, 04:51:49 PM »
This was the first thing I ever bought through Wish. It’s for removing wires from terminal connectors. It cost me $3 to get it to my door. I never knew these existed before I saw it on Wish. It seemed like a real handy thing to have laying around. I don’t know that I’ll ever need it but if I should, I’ll be glad I wasted $3 on it. I’m not sure how this could be a bottom of the barrel product.

It's been a while since I've looked on Wish and didn't exactly search the site a lot , everything I've had from them was junk but like anything I know there's gotta be some stuff on there worth buying.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2019, 04:53:48 PM »
That is my entire point.