Author Topic: what did you do today?  (Read 693909 times)

Offline coolmercury

Re: what did you do today?
« Reply #225 on: October 03, 2018, 03:47:05 PM »
Bought it, turned out to be 323.05 acres, so I got 3.05 acres free.  Within a mile of my ranch.  Has a big hay field, main reason I bought it and will lease it out for hunting.  Hunting leases in this area for around $10.00 per acre a year and taxes on it are less than $1.00 per acre a year.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #226 on: October 03, 2018, 06:06:49 PM »
Made a crock pot full of shredded pork to take to the airport for our monthly meeting and potluck. Just had a good hour of rain with some heavy rain coming down. This is the first soaking rain we have had since spring. Big puddles on the property while it was raining good and the ground is so dry it has soaked it all up. I hope it has reduced the fire danger a little.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #227 on: October 04, 2018, 08:43:21 AM »
Bought it, turned out to be 323.05 acres, so I got 3.05 acres free.  Within a mile of my ranch.  Has a big hay field, main reason I bought it and will lease it out for hunting.  Hunting leases in this area for around $10.00 per acre a year and taxes on it are less than $1.00 per acre a year.

Sounds like a nice little passive income producer

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #228 on: October 04, 2018, 02:25:51 PM »

the boss came in early today and we had the auto stuffed back in the Honda by noon.  All assem led and ready to test run by 2.    Owner refused all other details it needs and just went for the main swal oil leak leaving a bunch of stuff foe paying double and triple labor. 

Whatever.  His car his rules.  It could have been cheaper for him.  Its like living in the land of half assed repairs and knowing the results long term.

Other than that a lot of progress for a change feels good.

I have been carrying a phone around several years and only using it for calls.  Today I finally tried to post a picture from it and it worked great.    I have no idea why it was never attempted before.   

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #229 on: October 08, 2018, 02:32:23 PM »
Blue Angels just landed at our local airport for the show this weekend. I'm surprised they came this early but maybe they just wanted to get out of the Bay Area where they performed for San Francisco Fleet Week.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #230 on: October 08, 2018, 04:20:47 PM »
I wouldn't be at all surprised if you get a few free airshows from them. I used to work in San Diego a lot at a facility across the street from Miramar AFB. The Blue Angeles would practice all week before the airshows and if I was there that week got to see them up close. Very cool to see.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #231 on: October 08, 2018, 04:32:21 PM »
I did some work today on a 1981 produced Benjamin 342 multi stroke air rifle I got the other day.
The keyed rivet in the pump linkage was broken, but suprisingly once I replaced the rivet with one i had on hand and gave it some oil it pumps up strong and holds air over night.

I did all that on Saturday, today I gave the wood a basic refinish by sanding off the old varnish and giving it some coats of BLO.

I just wanted it clean it up a bit while still keeping it honest, not that I have an iron to steam the dents out with anyways.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #232 on: October 08, 2018, 04:37:12 PM »
Chased down a rear tail light problem on my '88 Mazda before the annual inspection today. It's refreshing to work on older cars sometimes because everything isn't controlled by some intermediate module or the main computer. Grabbed an old 12V Snap-On test light and traced the circuit with powers/grounds to find a corroded ground wire rubbing on the frame. Quick fix with a soldering gun and it was "good to go!"

One thing that occurred to to me as I was splicing the harness is that in the "old days" the manufcaturers used a much heavier gauge wire in their harnesses. Compared to modern cars, the contrast is very significant. Saving a few dollars on copper and weight is NOT necessarily progress in these new, overly complex modern harness designs.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #233 on: October 08, 2018, 06:06:13 PM »
Do the newer cars even use copper wire?

Offline Rural53

« Reply #234 on: October 09, 2018, 02:38:14 AM »
Yesterday's adventures.
Scenery

I was actually working

Interesting Japanese made crescent. The other side says Chrome Vanadium and Japan.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 02:45:51 AM by Rural53 »

Offline muddy

« Reply #235 on: October 10, 2018, 07:16:10 PM »
Worked, then came home and went for a walk with the family (Mandy Sam, and Max)

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #236 on: October 11, 2018, 06:03:40 PM »
Blue Angels practiced twice today. We are 2-3/4 miles from the runway and about 300' higher in elevation. Sorry for the lousy pics but when they are moving fast in poor lighting and zoomed a little the phone doesn't take the best pics.They give you an idea of what we get to watch from the back deck.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #237 on: October 18, 2018, 08:47:04 PM »
Plenty going on next door today.

Sent from my SM-A510Y using Tapatalk

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #238 on: October 18, 2018, 09:20:36 PM »
Painted the deck railings with stain and water proofing. Still have some more to do tomorrow and I’m feeling the lower back right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Rural53

« Reply #239 on: October 19, 2018, 12:14:57 PM »
Just after 6am on the Q300 to Wellington to see Peter Jackson's Great War Exhibit.

Sent from my SM-A510Y using Tapatalk