Author Topic: 1/4 Drive Sets  (Read 218089 times)

Offline Cruiser808

Re: 1/4 Drive Sets
« Reply #330 on: October 13, 2018, 08:21:08 AM »
Your right Don. Upon further inspection, the ratchet is 1941 vintage. From that, I’m convinced the set is from 1941. My old eyes aren’t what they used to be.  I’ll post my 1940 set again showing the ratchet design for that and earlier years. The red boxes of that style were all pre war. I’ll post some red boxes of the post war period up to 1947 - 1948 as well as sets from 1935. And I’ll describe the subtle differences in the sets based on the Plomb catalogs. If what I describe is wrong, please let me know. Thanks.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #331 on: October 13, 2018, 11:04:41 AM »
What is it with Cornwell? They are an old company, and they seem to make pretty good stuff and have a decent following. Yet I rarely see them in the wild, and I don't even see their trucks that often (compared to Snap-On and Matco at least). Do they just not advertize or what?

They keep a very low profile and will only sell through the dealers. They won't sell to you even if you don't have a dealer. I see ratchets at the swaps on occasion and once in a great while a wrench or socket but almost never a set. There was a Cornwell dealer at Long Beach a couple times but I think he was liquidating.

It seems SK is correct

the first rule of cornwell.........there is no cornwell..... :-X

If what you say is true, then I am thankful for not having any Cornwell. If they are that elusive, exclusive and impossible to deal with then that takes them beyond the realm of Snap-On or Mac. Why would I want tools that are impossible to find a dealer for and unless you work at one of their stops then you are SOL? No thanks.....
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #332 on: October 13, 2018, 12:22:29 PM »
Beyond that the little expisure I have to Corny is they are average yo Bonney at best. 

Why work harder to get stuff that has many equals out in the market?

There is a 14 mm combo in my work kit that as soon as I find a proper replacement will be in the sale bag.   Meanwhilr I am squeezing two bucks out of it.

Some love Corny or Bonney (or possibly any other brand out there) and can state the reasons.  I found my faves elseplace but cannot deny that nearly everything that is not Oxwall is a usable tool and someone swears by them.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #333 on: October 13, 2018, 01:20:21 PM »
UB I think that's why the Cornwell stuff is so hard to find. Even people at the stops know as soon as they go elsewhere their connection to the brand is gone.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #334 on: October 13, 2018, 01:39:53 PM »
I found these pix of the Cornwell dealer at Long Beach swap. I am pretty sure he was liquidating his stuff. I have seen a truck a couple times on the streets but this is as close as I've ever been to one.

People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline Cruiser808

« Reply #335 on: October 13, 2018, 03:56:51 PM »
Here are some very early Plomb 1/4 sets. As shown on the photos, from upper left to bottom right are 1935, 1936, 1937 and 1938. Based on a review of the catalogs, I believe 1935 was the year of Plomb’s first 1/4 drive tools and 1938 was Plomb’s introduction to 1/4 ratchets. Plomb also offered midget wrenches and pliers as part of the sets.

The tools generally came in 4795 boxes and the early ones did not have a raised lip on the upper cover. I think the lip appears in the boxes made in 1939 and beyond with a brief exception in the late years of WWII.

Offline Cruiser808

« Reply #336 on: October 13, 2018, 03:59:39 PM »
More pics.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #337 on: October 13, 2018, 05:15:14 PM »
I've never seen the 3/8 drive plug before. I always wondered why a drive plug and reverse now it kind of makes makes sense. Those sets are great Cruiser - but everything you post is exceptional.

Thanks for posting all this.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #338 on: October 13, 2018, 05:19:52 PM »
Theres a Cornwell dealer here. Really nice guy too, Til he gets on a race track, that dude can flat drive a limited dirt car.

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #339 on: October 13, 2018, 07:35:25 PM »
Your right Don. Upon further inspection, the ratchet is 1941 vintage. From that, I’m convinced the set is from 1941. My old eyes aren’t what they used to be.  I’ll post my 1940 set again showing the ratchet design for that and earlier years. The red boxes of that style were all pre war. I’ll post some red boxes of the post war period up to 1947 - 1948 as well as sets from 1935. And I’ll describe the subtle differences in the sets based on the Plomb catalogs. If what I describe is wrong, please let me know. Thanks.
I appreciate the information. Thanks!
-Don

Offline CRTDI

« Reply #340 on: October 13, 2018, 08:25:30 PM »
Your right Don. Upon further inspection, the ratchet is 1941 vintage. From that, I’m convinced the set is from 1941. 

Nice...really wasn't expecting this set to be so early.

Here are some very early Plomb 1/4 sets. As shown on the photos, from upper left to bottom right are 1935, 1936, 1937 and 1938. Based on a review of the catalogs, I believe 1935 was the year of Plomb’s first 1/4 drive tools and 1938 was Plomb’s introduction to 1/4 ratchets. Plomb also offered midget wrenches and pliers as part of the sets.

The tools generally came in 4795 boxes and the early ones did not have a raised lip on the upper cover. I think the lip appears in the boxes made in 1939 and beyond with a brief exception in the late years of WWII.

Thanks for the education on these!  Really like the plug ratchet and wrench set.

I'm Plomb stupid... :-[  So...my stupid question is....    Where do the rounded corner boxes fit into the history here? I always just assumed these were either very early or war time examples. 

Offline CRTDI

« Reply #341 on: October 13, 2018, 08:51:06 PM »
Indestro Select

And with a few extras..

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #342 on: October 13, 2018, 09:16:42 PM »
Now that is an awesome indestro set, I could easily see putting that to work.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #343 on: October 13, 2018, 11:21:29 PM »
Your right Don. Upon further inspection, the ratchet is 1941 vintage. From that, I’m convinced the set is from 1941. 

Nice...really wasn't expecting this set to be so early.

Thanks for the education on these!  Really like the plug ratchet and wrench set.

I'm Plomb stupid... :-[  So...my stupid question is....    Where do the rounded corner boxes fit into the history here? I always just assumed these were either very early or war time examples.
I think the rounded corners are the last Plomb models, as the Proto LA boxes had rounded corners. I think this pic should show the progression:

Offline Cruiser808

« Reply #344 on: October 13, 2018, 11:34:43 PM »
Hi bmwrd0  -  there are a few box types in between. I’ll post them soon.