Author Topic: 1/4 Drive Sets  (Read 218095 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: 1/4 Drive Sets
« Reply #375 on: October 17, 2018, 03:15:01 PM »
The Kraueter is an interesting design but in all honesty not the most comfortable to use especially for long periods of time.
Is the handle fluted down the center or something ?

Yes and I don't really care to use the 3/8 ratchet I have.
That doesn't sound too comfortable, I'd probably put a piece of tubing over it.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #376 on: October 17, 2018, 03:24:18 PM »
Whenever I start to complain about the older Craftsman ratchet handles I remember the Krauter's and button my lip.

Which ain't easy for an old cranky Pollack. :D

One of use needs to come up with a custom-made grooved sleeve that every Krauter owner can buy and slip on.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #377 on: October 17, 2018, 06:55:56 PM »

Is the handle fluted down the center or something ?

On both top and bottom. Otherwise it's a great ratchet.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline CRTDI

« Reply #378 on: October 27, 2018, 12:52:43 AM »
bmw, Nice Hinsdale set. That's a brand that I haven't collected...yet.... >:D

Here's an R.T.E.C. partial set with a no name (suspected to be Plomb) ratchet.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #379 on: October 27, 2018, 02:29:08 AM »
I think it's pretty safe to call that a Plomb WF-8-S assuming it's 1/4 and not 9/32.

Absolutely beautiful set.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #380 on: October 27, 2018, 06:39:01 AM »
Here is an RTEC 1/4” spinner I sent to a friend for his set. It was unmarked but matched the spinner in other Randolph sets. Somewhere I have a pair of ignition pliers.
-Don

Offline GNAP

« Reply #381 on: October 27, 2018, 08:34:19 AM »
I feel so inadequate, 1200+ ratchets, probably a ton or more of sockets, but not a single set of any size, I could make quite a few, but not actual factory sets.
jack

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #382 on: October 27, 2018, 09:14:10 AM »
Many of my sets are totally made from an empty box and collected tools. I spend a lot of time checking the old catalogs for accuracy.
-Don

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #383 on: October 27, 2018, 09:58:17 AM »
Many of my sets are totally made from an empty box and collected tools. I spend a lot of time checking the old catalogs for accuracy.
-Don

Yep, that how the sickness starts. One or two tools and a box and you're off to the races!  :o

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #384 on: October 28, 2018, 07:29:42 AM »
Whenever I start to complain about the older Craftsman ratchet handles I remember the Krauter's and button my lip.

Which ain't easy for an old cranky Pollack. :D

One of use needs to come up with a custom-made grooved sleeve that every Krauter owner can buy and slip on.

I don't know if it matters but this style Kraeuter is more comfortable than the I-beam style. (Example shown is 3/8)

One funny bit, I don't know if I've ever seen this style in a Kraeuter set. Just loose, and they're way less common. Not really sure what the story is.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #385 on: October 28, 2018, 11:40:47 AM »
That is a totally new one to me. I think just about anything would be more comfortable than the I beam handle.

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #386 on: October 28, 2018, 08:57:52 PM »
Here is an RTEC 1/4” spinner I sent to a friend for his set. It was unmarked but matched the spinner in other Randolph sets. Somewhere I have a pair of ignition pliers.
-Don
I found the ignition pliers. Here are a couple of pictures.
-Don

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #387 on: October 29, 2018, 07:16:40 PM »

Found it at an architectural salvage place in the bay area, minus the ratchet, for a couple bucks. Had everything you see there, but it was unmarked. Well, I had a Duro 1/4 unmarked ratchet floating around, so it seemed natural to put them together. Doesn't hurt that they are probably Duro anyway.

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #388 on: October 29, 2018, 09:15:48 PM »
Is there any chance of seeing a side view of the sockets? I’m not sure that they are Duro. I think your non-reversing unmarked ratchet is Indestro. The Duro ones are generally marked. The heads on both brands are the same.
-Don

Offline four.cycle

« Reply #389 on: October 29, 2018, 09:34:51 PM »
Hi d42jeep! Long time no talk to! I was looking to see if Mr. Lauver had updated his Craftsman production code list and landed here. Looks like the site's got a new name - had to re-register!

RE: That RTEC set above: I have one of those. Still looking for a decent copy of the 1/4" drive spinner handle. I did manage to find a pair of those cute little ignition pliers. Not sure if the pliers were actually original to the set. I suppose Private Lugnutz might be able to shed a bit more light on that one.

RE: That Plomb ratchet in the RTEC set: I received an Oxwall set with that same ratchet - no markings other than an "O" forged into the handle. I thought the "O" was for Oxwall - shows you how much I know about Plomb. I've had more than one person (who presumably knew what they were talking about) identify it as a Plomb.

RE: The 2888 ratchet just above (patent 1902878): It is a 2888 Indestro "Midget" model. As d42jeep notes, the Duro-Chrome equivalent had the "Duro Chrome" name forged into the handle.
You'll need to show the sides of the sockets in order to be able to determine whether or not they are Duro/Indestro made - it's pretty easy to tell if they are.

Interesting thread. The 1/4" drive sets are one of my primary focuses. I suppose I'll have to check back in here when I have time. Still pretty much tangled up with other stuff at present.