Author Topic: 1/4 Drive Sets  (Read 218121 times)

Offline four.cycle

Re: 1/4 Drive Sets
« Reply #405 on: October 30, 2018, 02:16:45 AM »
J.A.F.E. - on August 28 you posted a Thorsen set and noted you were not sure if the box was original. Indeed, that "Pontiac Blue" hammertone-finish paint was the original box to that set. (I believe it was a model 1416 set.) Members Cruiser808 and Uncle Buck also confirmed this. The part number was on a sticker affixed to the end of the box.

CRTDI - on August 30 (post #75) - those "Brazil" sets are fabulous! I do not believe I've ever seen any 1/4" sets that were complete. And if those weren't cool enough, you follow up with a "Nuggies" set in a perfect box! You seem to have managed to acquire some fabulous examples - too many to mention.

On Sept. 22 (post #187) you posted a New Britain made Penncraft set containing two 3632 ratchets. I have one of those sets - complete with spinner handle - and one partial set containing only a few sockets. I'm curious as to whether or not you've ever seen a catalog illustration of that particular set which might show exactly what it contained originally.

On Oct. 1 (post #225) you posted a couple "Companion" sets. Has anyone figured out who made that 1/4" drive open-gear ratchet? It is definitely not the same as the Thorsen 77M. (I don't own any P&C so I can't make a comparison here.) Mr. Lauver posits it may have been outsourced from Western Forge. It does not look anything like the Indestro model 6070 that Uncle Buck speculates on. (photo below)
On that second set with all the ignition wrenches, screwdriver, and feeler gauges - was that original or was that cobbled together like that?

On Oct. 1 (post #226) you posted a "Blue Grass" set. The model 2400 ratchet is definitely Wright - I have at least one set with that fat-handled re-branded Wright 2400 in it (although I cannot recall at the moment what brand. see the "Powr Kraft" set on the previous page.) The box looks almost like the New Britain made Penncraft box.

Cruiser808 - On Sept. 02 (post #83) You posted a "Fleet" set, and CRTDI inquired in the next post as to whether the pieces were stamped "Fleet". I have a "Fleet" 1/4" set here, and all the pieces are stamped "Fleet". Mine must be a later production set, though, as it contains a RHFT ratchet and is in a molded plastic box. The pieces look similar to the set you posted on Sept. 29 (post #209) but mine isn't in the steel box with the molded insert - mine's an all-plastic box (which unfortunately was subjected to too much heat and won't close properly now.)

d42jeep - on Oct. 4 (post #260) you posted your Plomb NAF set. Curious as to whether you saw what that one recently went for on Ebay.
Do you think you've got enough Walden sets there?

Uncle Buck - on Oct. 14 (post #346) You commented on the color of the box of CRTDI's S6101 Indestro "Select" set (which interestingly contains the original 6073 "Select" spinner.) The early (1960s) versions were in the light-blue hammertone painted box. Later (1970s) they went to the copper-colored hammertone box. Indestro "Classic" was also packaged in the copper-colored box. The "Super" sets were packed in red boxes.

CRTDI - On Oct. 28 (post #402) - you posted an older "Challenger" model 2303 set and noted the pieces are marked "Penens". Somewhere around here I have a "Penens" set that contains that same ratchet with the knurled full-circle selector knob. No idea where it is right now. I'm digging in a box here through more Walden, None Better, Fleet, Firestone, Penncraft, and New Britain, among others.

Again, I've been occupied with other things for several months, so I've kind of been out of the loop. I'm sorry to hear about the site having gone down and the data being lost. Apparently twertsy has had some problems at ToolArchives as well.
The photos above are just those that I can find easily at the moment. I'm not sure if I have photos of other sets or not.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 02:19:11 AM by four.cycle »

Offline four.cycle

« Reply #406 on: October 30, 2018, 02:27:29 AM »
Thread title is "1/4 Drive Sets".
Nobody mentioned keeping within the parameters of 1/4" square drive sets, and I've noticed at least one or two 9/32" drive sets posted, so I'm going to take the liberty of including a few 1/4" hex drive sets.
I would never have imagined when I got into this "collector" thing a few years ago I'd have such a fascination with what are commonly considered the "low end" of the tool world, but some of these have some pretty fascinating history behind them:

Reginald F. Sedgley pretty much led the pack. His 1918 patent (patent 1289558) was used later by New Britain and others under license. Later Sedgley got out of the tool business and started doing custom work on firearms, for which he's much better known.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 02:34:16 AM by four.cycle »

Offline four.cycle

« Reply #407 on: October 30, 2018, 02:32:51 AM »
The ubiquitous Indestro model 350 "Vest Pocket" 1/4" hex drive set (patent 2065340) - early versions are stamped "Pat Pend" on the "ell" handle. This is the only one I have a photograph of at the moment.

Offline four.cycle

« Reply #408 on: October 30, 2018, 02:38:03 AM »
Keystone model 250 8-pc 1/4" hex drive set

Keystone Manufacturing, 41-63 Chandler St., Buffalo, N.Y. / http://toolarchives.com/node/572 / http://alloy-artifacts.org/other-makers-p2.html#keystone / patent 1696444

(not to be confused with Keystone Drop Forge Co.)

Offline four.cycle

« Reply #409 on: October 30, 2018, 02:43:14 AM »
After clicking through all the folders I found one more 1/4" square drive set. This old (and incomplete) Craftsman =V= set belonged to my late step-father.
I rounded up the missing pieces from various sources, but they haven't been reunited yet.

I only got the day off because the weather is so crappy here right now. I think I'm going to be repainting the inside of a garage and hauling off a ripped-up asphalt driveway for the rest of the week.

Cheers!

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #410 on: October 30, 2018, 06:18:31 AM »

d42jeep - on Oct. 4 (post #260) you posted your Plomb NAF set. Curious as to whether you saw what that one recently went for on Ebay.

The gentleman that ended up with that amazing set, “Tin Medic”, is a buddy of mine and we were in communication during the bidding process. He actually is the one that alerted me to the eBay listing of the one I have. In case he was unsuccessful in buying it, I took pictures of the set and the extremely rare NAF marked tools that it contained, missing only the 3/8” socket. Here are those pictures.
-Don
PS.... I may have a slight Walden set problem. I am continually on the search for a dark finish, knurled, 6 point 7/16” socket that I know exists but have been unable to locate.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #411 on: October 30, 2018, 06:31:25 AM »
Four.cycle those Indestro ratchets look new - amazing.

d42 that set is very cool.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline CRTDI

« Reply #412 on: October 30, 2018, 09:16:07 AM »

CRTDI - on August 30 (post #75) - those "Brazil" sets are fabulous! I do not believe I've ever seen any 1/4" sets that were complete. And if those weren't cool enough, you follow up with a "Nuggies" set in a perfect box! You seem to have managed to acquire some fabulous examples - too many to mention.

Thanks! The Nuggies set tested the outer limits of my OCD... :(  It is one of my favs though.

On Sept. 22 (post #187) you posted a New Britain made Penncraft set containing two 3632 ratchets. I have one of those sets - complete with spinner handle - and one partial set containing only a few sockets. I'm curious as to whether or not you've ever seen a catalog illustration of that particular set which might show exactly what it contained originally.

I don't have a catalog reference for this particular set. Sometimes you just got to wing it.

On Oct. 1 (post #225) you posted a couple "Companion" sets. Has anyone figured out who made that 1/4" drive open-gear ratchet? It is definitely not the same as the Thorsen 77M. (I don't own any P&C so I can't make a comparison here.) Mr. Lauver posits it may have been outsourced from Western Forge. It does not look anything like the Indestro model 6070 that Uncle Buck speculates on. (photo below)
On that second set with all the ignition wrenches, screwdriver, and feeler gauges - was that original or was that cobbled together like that?

That ratchet in my opinion, has some characteristics of a Thorsen, P&C and Indestro, but not produced by any of these manufacturers. Mr. Lauver is quite knowledegable in the Craftsman outsourced area.....so I'm going with his idea for now.

All of the Companion ignition items were added to that second set. Sometimes a little extra compliments the overall set.

On Oct. 1 (post #226) you posted a "Blue Grass" set. The model 2400 ratchet is definitely Wright - I have at least one set with that fat-handled re-branded Wright 2400 in it (although I cannot recall at the moment what brand. see the "Powr Kraft" set on the previous page.) The box looks almost like the New Britain made Penncraft box.

Yep, I believe this is the same rounded corner New Britain box that's been used for so many 1/4" sets. A good portion of my 1/4" sets seem to be New Britain derived with the same exact box.

Offline Cruiser808

« Reply #413 on: October 30, 2018, 12:55:21 PM »

The gentleman that ended up with that amazing set, “Tin Medic”, is a buddy of mine and we were in communication during the bidding process. He actually is the one that alerted me to the eBay listing of the one I have. In case he was unsuccessful in buying it, I took pictures of the set and the extremely rare NAF marked tools that it contained, missing only the 3/8” socket. Here are those pictures.
-Don
PS.... I may have a slight Walden set problem. I am continually on the search for a dark finish, knurled, 6 point 7/16” socket that I know exists but have been unable to locate.

Hi Don - love that Navy set. The T-handle and extension have a 0 stamped on them. That would indicate the set is 1940 vintage. Would you agree? Thanks.

Offline four.cycle

« Reply #414 on: October 30, 2018, 02:18:07 PM »
CRTDI - thanks. I was wondering if there was some full-blown Companion kit that contained all that stuff. I've got one of those (just sockets and drive tools) that's in cherry shape. Not a clue where it is right now.

J.A.F.E. - thanks. most of my Indestro is in pretty good shape. It's primarily what I focus on and I'm picky.

d42jeep - Interesting that you know the buyer of that NAF set, but I suppose that's to be expected. Funny thing about that: when it was first listed I showed it go my g/f and she asked "How much do you think it will go for?" My low estimate was $20 bucks off, and my high estimate was $10 bucks high.
I don't think I can afford to be a Plomb collector!

I thought all the black finish Walden sockets 11/32 and above were all 12-points ???

« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 02:22:28 AM by four.cycle »

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #415 on: October 30, 2018, 02:56:25 PM »
I admire someone who can focus on a brand or brand family. I am kind of all over the map especially with 1/4 drive. And the small wrenches. And a couple other things.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline four.cycle

« Reply #416 on: October 30, 2018, 03:08:55 PM »
Quote from: J.A.F.E.
I am kind of all over the map especially with 1/4 drive.

Perhaps I should rephrase that. I try to stay focused primarily on Indestro. After that Thorsen, Giller, and Walden. But I find myself (as you) all over the place on 1/4" drive sets, as well as the truly obscure and little-known (i.e., the Sedgley set above.)

Here's the Penncraft set and the partial set. Mine includes a 3635 yellow-handled spinner handle with a square socket built into the butt end of it so it can be used as an extension:

Offline Cruiser808

« Reply #417 on: October 30, 2018, 03:28:09 PM »
Hi four.cycle. I too have a Walden set, but the case is different from yours. I don’t know much about this set. I found it at a local swap meet several years ago. Can you tell me what year this set was manufactured? Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 03:30:48 PM by Cruiser808 »

Offline Cruiser808

« Reply #418 on: October 30, 2018, 03:31:38 PM »
Another pic.

Offline Cruiser808

« Reply #419 on: October 30, 2018, 04:26:12 PM »
Anyone have any information on this J.H. Williams set? Not really 1/4, but 9/32. I really like vintage Williams tools. I think this one is pre-war vintage. Thanks.